Forum sponsored by Allendale Dec 6th

2 1/2" wheel profile

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin Kyte05/08/2015 09:21:47
1515 forum posts
24 photos

Hi Chaps

I'm after the standard wheel profile for Derwent in 2 1/2" gauge if anyone has the info or a link to it.

Thanks in anticipation.

regards Martin

Neil Wyatt05/08/2015 10:51:11
16757 forum posts
689 photos
76 articles

Wheel standards are gauge specific rather than design-specific, if there isn't one on the plan, you should be able to use the profile from any broadly similar design in the same gauge.

Neil

Martin Kyte05/08/2015 11:06:37
1515 forum posts
24 photos

Yes. I perhaps wasn't too clear in my question. My friend is building Derwent and he needs the standard profile for

2 1/2" gauge. I thought maybe someone had a link to the data handy.

regards Martin

Martin Kyte05/08/2015 11:50:47
1515 forum posts
24 photos

OK, to answer my own question for the benifit of others the data is here:-

**LINK**

Martin

HomeUse05/08/2015 11:51:12
168 forum posts
12 photos

This might be a good link to start with

http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php/IBLS_Wheel_Standard

RRMBK05/08/2015 11:51:54
128 forum posts
18 photos

Try national 2.5 Gauge association **LINK**

HomeUse05/08/2015 11:52:35
168 forum posts
12 photos

You piped me at the post wink

Martin Kyte05/08/2015 12:00:07
1515 forum posts
24 photos

Thanks for the responses anyhow.

Martin

IanT05/08/2015 13:59:27
1366 forum posts
137 photos

Sorry to disagree with some of the other posters Martin - but I think there is a better solution for your friends 'Derwent'.

As you will (probably) know, 'Dewent' is a small Gauge '3' locomotive designed (by G3 member Dick Allan) for garden railway (e.g. scenic) operation. I've seen Dicks' version of this engine run a few times at G3 GTGs (under radio control) and very nice it is too.

So it would make much more sense (at least to me) if you used the Gauge '3' Society's wheel standards. You can either download them (as a PDF) from the G3 Society's website - or if you prefer, just PM me and I will email them to you..

Your friends engine will still run on 2.5" MES tracks (should he wish it to do so - although it's clearly not a passenger hauler) but the engine will also be able to freely navigate the turnouts and other track features at any Gauge '3' Garden Railway - if he ever decided to give one of our GTGs a visit.

We are always happy to see Guests (and their engines & stock) at our GTGs but as they are held in Members Gardens, we do ask for people to contact us (for an invite) beforehand - rather than just turning up.

You might also tell him that the Tea and Cakes at our GTG are also usually very good too!   

Regards,

IanT

(G3 Member)

Edited By IanT on 05/08/2015 14:06:58

Neil Wyatt05/08/2015 14:03:29
16757 forum posts
689 photos
76 articles

Lots of interesting stuff there, not least a picture of LBSC in his later days, a rare thing indeed.

Neil

LBSC, Lillian Lawrence

IanT05/08/2015 14:15:48
1366 forum posts
137 photos

Neil - He looks a bit like my Uncle Harry (who is also long deceased I'm afraid)

Martin - I've just checked & it seems that the G3 Society website has changed a wee bit since I last paid it close attention - in that I couldn't find a PDF on first glance...

However, here's a link to the G3 wheel standards

**LINK**

If you want a PDF version of this - I have one.

Regards,

IanT

IanT05/08/2015 14:22:18
1366 forum posts
137 photos

Sorry Martin - I've just noticed that the PDF link is still there (at the bottom of the 'standards' page given).

And for anyone else interested - here is Dicks 'Derwent' on display at a Gauge '3' Society GTG last year. You can see some of the very early carriage stock he built to run it with, in the background. 

Regards,

IanT

farnham gtg - aug 2014 002.jpg

Edited By IanT on 05/08/2015 14:26:34

John Baguley05/08/2015 14:54:57
434 forum posts
46 photos

Just to add to Ian's post here's the wheel standards used by the N25GA:

2.5 inch gauge wheel standard.jpg

As we run mostly on passenger hauling raised tracks our standard is a bit coarser than that required by the G3 Society as we don't need to run through points etc. The width of the wheel tread is wider than the G3 standard, which can be useful when running on some raised tracks which are a bit over gauge in places! Some people with G3 standard wheels do seem to have problems running on some raised tracks as the wheels sometimes tend to fall between the rails due to the narrower treads.

John

IanT05/08/2015 15:59:32
1366 forum posts
137 photos

Agreed John

The narrower tread is pretty much for cosmetic reasons (it does looks more prototypical - if they are too wide - you can get a "road roller" look) but I can't think (off hand) of any reason why a slightly wider tread would cause any problems on a G3 garden railway. However, I've seen many engines that meet G3 wheel standards run quite happily on MES tracks (most recently at Cheltenham of course).

The flange width and depth are both important in G3 - not only for getting through turnouts (flange width) but also to ensure that the top of the flange doesn't hit the top of the track chairs (flange depth) - which is another thing that the typical MES track doesn't tend to have.

One of my 2.5" engines (previously only used on MES tracks I assume) which is otherwise very nicely built, had flange widths that varied around 1/8" on different axles. It needed a lot of attention before it could be used on our garden tracks. I'm sure the original builder thought his flanges were "robust" but it was a real pain to sort out. I've also seen another (LBSC designed) engine 'bounce' along the top of the chairs because of too deep flanges.

'Derwent' is designed for garden use and I'd build her accordingly. I'm certain Dicks version of this engine was built to meet the G3 track standards - so this would also be as-per the original design.

Regards,

IanT

Neil Wyatt05/08/2015 16:44:10
16757 forum posts
689 photos
76 articles

Two societies divide by a common gauge, to misquote Shaw

Neil

John Baguley05/08/2015 18:01:17
434 forum posts
46 photos

I hope we are not divided, just catering for the different aspects of 2½" gauge smiley

John

IanT05/08/2015 18:23:08
1366 forum posts
137 photos

Not really Neil.

We actually share quite a lot of common members between the two groups. Whilst some people do have very specific preferences in terms of their modelling, others are much more "broad church" and get involved in all aspects of 2.5" gauge. I am a long term member of both the Society and the Association, although my personal preference is to model in Gauge 3. However, I do attend local 2.5" Association Rallies when I get the chance, mainly to show support for both the Association & the gauge.

At first look, I guess other folk will just see the difference as being between 'passenger hauling' versus 'scenic running' but I think the real differences run much deeper than that and can sometimes be quite subtle.

For instance (as you may have gathered from my other posts) - for me, it's all about the Cakes!

The Association MES Rallies I've visited have always been very good with their catering arrangements but I must say that the Gauge '3' Ladies are in a different league altogether when it comes to the quality (and quantity) of the Cakes served at Society GTGs.

Of course, other modellers may have different priorities to mine.

Regards,

IanT

Neil Wyatt06/08/2015 11:36:52
16757 forum posts
689 photos
76 articles

That was humour - I'm sure the 'entente cordial' between the two societies is as good as that between the US and UK...

Neil

IanT06/08/2015 13:33:49
1366 forum posts
137 photos

I'm sure we realised that Neil - but perhaps a better analogy would be the Twix twins in the TV chocolate advert?

And I did notice that JB quietly slipped the word "catering" into his post (even if subconsciously), so obviously a man who also values his cake and sandwiches. Maybe we could have a new joint slogan?

Two & Half Inch - The Gauge where you can have your Cake and Eat It

OK, sorry - I'll stop now.

IanT

PS I hope a that at least some of this has been useful to your friend Martin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Warco
Ausee.com.au
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest