By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale May 23

oil pads

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Black Cat202/07/2015 16:46:45
83 forum posts
want to put oil pads on my little lathe to wipe the bed clean but not sure what to use..Even cotton wool now is some sort of synthetic scratchy stuff.Also took the top slide of to make sure it had been oiled before being dispatched to me-it hadnt- and having slid it back on ,gib correct, I find it gets so tight the last inch towards the chuck is almost impossible..Removing it afew times has made any difference! I m not so newto gib strips I cant do this..But I cant!!
meeeoooow
john kennedy 102/07/2015 17:32:16
214 forum posts
24 photos

This is what I used to replace the old wipers on my Harrison milling machine

http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/search?query=felt

Capstan Speaking02/07/2015 17:45:54
177 forum posts
14 photos
Posted by Black Cat2 on 02/07/2015 16:46:45:
I find it gets so tight the last inch towards the chuck is almost impossible..Removing it afew times has made any difference! I m not so newto gib strips I cant do this..But I cant!!
meeeoooow

It's little out of parallel. So is mine. You get what you pay for.

You might need to keep re-adjusting it if using the full travel.

Black Cat202/07/2015 17:51:59
83 forum posts
thank you John..Just right..
I was afraid of that..B....y thing wasnt out of parallel before I touched it..Just wobbly..ha.ha
IanT02/07/2015 18:42:13
1256 forum posts
128 photos

I had to make new wipers for my shaper a while back - and spent some time going into what "felt" to use...

Some people will advise the use of various kinds of 'soft' felt (as used in toys, hats etc) but the kind you ideally need is an "oil-retaining" 'hard' felt - and the vintage car site (the same site that John has already pointed you to) was the only place that I could find the right stuff. Apparently old cars use it in all sorts of places! It's not that expensive and I purchased several 6"x6" sheets in various thicknesses which will last me a long time hopefully.

One other thing that I may do when I get around to fitting wipers to my (other) lathe - is to include a neoprene 'pre-wiper' as I had to make these for the shaper too - and it seems a good idea. The rubber wiper helps to stop the swarf actually getting in - and the felt lubricates. A bit belt and braces maybe and (of course) you will still need to regularly remove the wipers and clean the grunge out...but hopefully there will be less of it.

Regards,

IanT

Edited By IanT on 02/07/2015 18:44:27

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest