Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Signing one's work

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
clivel13/06/2015 00:43:49
330 forum posts
15 photos

When I have a few minutes spare I sometimes like to browse the Station Road Steam website, it contains an excellent archive of photographs of a huge variety of models, some of which have been built to a very high standard.

While browsing today, it occurred to me that many of these model will live on while the builders often disappear into anonymity.
Given the enormous amount of time, skill and effort required to produce these models, I find that quite sad.

Many craftsmen and artists in other fields sign their work so why not the model engineer, perhaps a signature in the form of an unobtrusive plaque or engraved name and date inside the frames for example.
Or maybe many do, and I have just not noticed it. What do other think?

Nick_G13/06/2015 07:04:58
1808 forum posts
744 photos

I have signed my James Coombes 'Leonardo da Vinci' and dated it 1496. surprise

My plan / hope is to convince a gullible wealthy American that the steam engine was invented and this example constructed hundreds of years prior to when thought by none other than Leonardo.

I know I have no morals. .............. But hey-ho.! angel

Nick wink

Clive Hartland13/06/2015 07:22:18
2758 forum posts
40 photos

A gun making friend of mine would engrave, 'Fecit' + (Name) around the muzzle of his guns. He had a short name. When I used to make metal replicas of things I always engraved my name on a part of it.

I endorse Clive1's idea.

Clive

Edited By Clive Hartland on 13/06/2015 07:22:58

Edited By Clive Hartland on 13/06/2015 07:23:20

Andrew Johnston13/06/2015 08:36:18
6404 forum posts
682 photos
Posted by clivel on 13/06/2015 00:43:49:

Many craftsmen and artists in other fields sign their work so why not the model engineer, perhaps a signature in the form of an unobtrusive plaque or engraved name and date inside the frames for example.

Just what I am planning to do on my traction engines, so at least a future owner might wonder about the builder. Although after yesterday's silver soldering foul up I won't be finishing them any time soon. sad

Andrew

GarryC13/06/2015 08:50:28
740 forum posts
1043 photos

I have a little engraved plaque on my Victoria but also I downloaded the build sequence from here to DVD so that will get handed down and stay with the engine as well, hopefully it will be found interesting in the future.. One of (but not the main) reasons I'm here - and why I put up as much of the build as I can..

Regards

Garry

Edited By Gary on 13/06/2015 08:55:34

OuBallie13/06/2015 10:56:44
1156 forum posts
661 photos

Do tell Andrew.

Your misfortune may prevent others from doing the same.

Geoff - MEW spot welder on the list.

CotswoldsPhil13/06/2015 11:17:04
196 forum posts
112 photos

As my Minnie is semi-scale, I have had made a makers cylinder plate and smoke-box door name-plates with all the details. I just need to get them cut out and fitted, but as with most ME's I've been side-tracked on other projects.

lasermakersplate.jpg

Phil H

Neil Wyatt13/06/2015 11:42:29
18894 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles

> downloaded the build sequence from here to DVD

I'd stick with a maker's plate. The claimed life expectancy of data on DVD is around five years...

Neil

GarryC13/06/2015 12:03:59
740 forum posts
1043 photos

Hi Neil

I like your makers plate  (and the engine!), very nice.

Yes data would be best be moved from DVD to whatever the latest media might be from time to time, but very easy to do - eventually as technology changes and improves possibly less of a problem as time goes on..

You've set me thinking, I think I prefer the makers plate idea to an engraved plaque - if I manage to get through my No. 1 I might look to do that..

Cheers.

Garry

Edited By Gary on 13/06/2015 12:05:56

davidsuffolk13/06/2015 13:20:29
48 forum posts
8 photos

I recently built a full size (but small) vertical engine and the original had a nicely engraved brass cover to the cylinder which I wanted to re-create as best I could.

However I didn't want to pretend my machine was actually built by its original maker so, as a compromise, I copied the engraving and in smaller lettering my own name and the date of build.

Who knows, in many years, my own machine might become an antique in its own right.dscn2517a.jpg

Ian S C14/06/2015 10:51:05
7468 forum posts
230 photos

I usually mark my models with name and date in some place out of sight with the Dremel, I feel I should have done something similar when I rebuilt the Stuart Turner S9, it might have been a bit extra to aid it's recovery when it was nicked.

Ian S C

richardandtracy16/06/2015 13:52:11
943 forum posts
10 photos

If anyone does work they are proud of, then they should put their name on it.

Regards,

Richard

Martin Kyte16/06/2015 14:31:41
2636 forum posts
46 photos

I totally agree with the above comments and I would add little story of my own. My clockmaking friend made a bracket clock for his son. Not such an unusual thing as it was amongst a long line of other timepieces. However this particular clock case was of Mulberry wood which came from a very old tree which once stood on the grounds of a large house in the village where he lived, the house having quite a history itself. After a conversation he decided that some record of the clock should be preserved along with it so wrote a short piece describing the origins of the case along with his name and the date when the clock was made. This went into a compartment in the clock so to preserve it's story. If you watch Antiques roadshow and the like, the things that are enthused over more than any other are the objects that tell a story, so why not let your model say that 'so and so made me' and a few details. Make the thing come alive.

Martin

Dave Halford18/06/2015 12:28:22
1886 forum posts
22 photos

I punch my intials and the year on all the major parts that I make. One day someone will spot my Minnie took thirty years to finish embarrassed

Thomas Gude08/07/2015 18:45:32
104 forum posts
26 photos

No fame and glory for me thanks! wink

(more to the point anonymity provides inculpability)

Alan Hopwood08/07/2015 18:58:22
40 forum posts

As I mainly make tools, a name plate might not be suitable, but I do have a stamp of my Masonic Mark which I dab on the tool somewhere.

I can't claim to have made the punch, but one of my old drinking pals was an engraver (Holland & Holland is one of his customers) and he very kindly carved out a piece of silver steel for me which I then hardened and tempered.

Regards,

Alan

Maurice08/07/2015 19:49:54
469 forum posts
50 photos

I think perhaps, that not enough information on a model is worse than none at all. I have restored an old Stuart number one that predates the adoption of B.A. threads by the firm (1918), so is probably approaching one hundred years old. It carries a plate; "T H CLARK MAKER". That is all. Not even the area where he lived. Such a pity. Mr Clark was obviously proud of his work, and thus he marked it; but now its history is lost. Even if it is hidden, I think that marking your work is a very good idea.

Regards

Maurice

Breva08/07/2015 21:16:28
88 forum posts
7 photos

Clive......."A gun making friend of mine would engrave, 'Fecit' + (Name) around the muzzle of his guns"

That seems a very appropriate signiture for some of my disasters! I might leave my name off them though.

devil

John

Jon08/07/2015 21:24:05
1000 forum posts
49 photos

What I tend do is leave no room for any name, luckily for me my work is renowned worldwide and distinctive, but theres always a few that don't know.

Larger items where there could be room I was looking at these from US. **LINK**
Several emails, no answer and assumed he didn't want the business.

Boiler Bri08/07/2015 21:52:41
840 forum posts
199 photos

If I ever finish something I will probably mark it some how! Strange at work we turn out 20 to 30 machines a year all with CE plates with date, company name etc on😓 I think my priorities may be wrong😇

Bri

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
rapid Direct
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest