By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

08 Locomotive suspension

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Roger Holebrook04/06/2015 18:06:51
8 forum posts

The bare frame has been assembled for a trial fit together with the six suspension springs. The springs are as specified on the plan and supplied by one of the ME suppliers. These springs are 1" long by 5/16" 18swg and 8 turns. They also appear to be "music wire" as opposed to stainless steel.

However, when only partially loaded(two small lead acid batteries) the springs are fully compressed. Now there have been many 08's built to this design, so has anyone else experienced this problem and how was it overcome?

Neil Wyatt04/06/2015 18:56:31
15676 forum posts
658 photos
73 articles

Can you give more detail, Roger? Which design, all-up weight, gauge and what size batteries?

Four similar springs except they are only 1/4" diameter reduced to about 3/34" long suit my shunter - it is 3 1/2" gauge and 1 7Ah lead acid battery, but with lead ballast so it weighs 28 lbs.

If your is the same gauge with two similar batteries but no ballast I would guess that six such springs could be more or less Ok, although 5/16" springs will compress more easily than 1/4" diameter.

Neil

Bob Brown 104/06/2015 21:14:10
966 forum posts
125 photos

I think a spring of the size you indicate should give a working load of around 10 to 12 lbs. The working load is just part of the specification as a spring of this size should have a rate of about 26lbf/in, so with 6 springs and an evenly distributed load that equates to 60 to 72 lbs. This all assumes 1/2" of travel but that is not the travel you are going to have, on my shunter the axles have about 1/8" of travel and have a pre load applied that is take by the horn stays, e.g I have to screw the horn stays down against the axle box/spring. With out the batteries the axle boxes are still against the horn stays but once installed it all settles down to a nice running position.

Bob

If I get a chance I'll take some pics.

Edited By Bob Brown 1 on 04/06/2015 21:15:10

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest