Forum sponsored by Allendale July 23rd

Cleaning scroll chuck

dissassembly

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bazyle29/03/2015 17:51:35
4686 forum posts
186 photos

My 'new' lathe came with self-centering 4 jaw of unknown make and vintage but "No 8" stamped on the front.. Taking it apart for cleaning I find instead of a scroll retaining plate held on with screws it seems to be pressed on. I can't see a thread for ti to be screwed on and it appear to have been fitted, assembled, drilled for the tail end of the gears, then split and the gears fitted. The flats needed for clearance for the gears look like a spanner potential and scuffing looks like someone tried that once but I can't see any trace of screw thread.

So how does this come apart?

BTW the 'obvious' ring is not the joint just a ledge in the central column and the actual join is 1/8 further out.

1427645997018.jpg

Edited By Bazyle on 29/03/2015 17:54:27

Ian P29/03/2015 20:57:54
2145 forum posts
89 photos

I have only had one or two chucks apart so I may be way off here.

I doubt very much that the central ring (with the two flats) is screwed on. It is more likely just pressed on.

The ring would not have any tendency to rotate and its held by the gears presumably as well as being clamped by the back of the chuck.

With the jaws removed you have three access places to push the scroll backwards.

Ian P

Oompa Lumpa29/03/2015 21:02:00
888 forum posts
271 photos
Posted by Ian Phillips on 29/03/2015 20:57:54:

With the jaws removed you have three access places to push the scroll backwards.

Ian P

Or, as this is a four jaw chuck, four places to push from.

graham.

Ian P29/03/2015 21:09:33
2145 forum posts
89 photos
Posted by Oompa Lumpa on 29/03/2015 21:02:00:
Posted by Ian Phillips on 29/03/2015 20:57:54:

Ian P

Or, as this is a four jaw chuck, four places to push from.

graham.

True, I should have economised and used two less words and just said 'you have access...'

I have learned something else as well. I had always assumed that 4 jaw scroll chucks would have four holes for the chuck key.

Ian P

Bazyle29/03/2015 23:02:16
4686 forum posts
186 photos

HMmmm, yes, I was hopig someone would have experience before I tried the brute force approach. I will have to look into a design change to make service easier. I guess it has never been cleaned fully though a 4 jaw scroll probably never got used much.

Hopper30/03/2015 07:59:11
3657 forum posts
72 photos

Before using any brute force, try heating the ring with a propane torch to expand it and loosen it's fit on the centre column. Stuffing a cold wet rag down the hole in the middle might help a bit too.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Advertise With Us
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Meridienne oct 2019
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest