Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

How To Post Pictures/Photographs and Create Albums

The definitive guide?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
NJH24/02/2016 23:59:49
2314 forum posts
139 photos

I must admit that up to now I've not uploaded from my iPad but thought that I would try. I enlisted the assistance of my best mate so here goes :- This was taken on the iPad camera and uploaded (without any editing so sorry for the size!) to one of my albums on this site and then added to the thread. So it does work!

Regards

Norman

(I guess I'd better wake her up now as it's time we all went to bed!)

image.jpeg

Barrie Purslow26/03/2016 16:51:25
5 forum posts
2 photos

Hello Neil,

I have tried to follow your instructions but can't even begin the process of loading a picture!

When I click on "ALBUMS" I am taken to a page headed "Albums" but the contents are a series of pictures by various members. Your instructions show a page headed "Your Photos". How do I get there?

Regards,

Barrie

JasonB26/03/2016 16:57:20
23022 forum posts
2763 photos
1 articles

Barrie, click "Albums" along the green bar at the top of the page, this will take you to your album not teh black bar.

Neil has put a yellow highlighter circle around it on his first image at teh start of this thread.

Edited By JasonB on 26/03/2016 16:59:25

Neil Wyatt26/03/2016 17:02:12
19076 forum posts
736 photos
80 articles

I've put 'on the green bar' into my first post!

I could say 'your albums' but that would make it a bit wide for small screens

Neil

mechman4826/03/2016 17:25:30
2947 forum posts
468 photos

N.B. if you're putting in text followed by a pic or link ensure that you copy & save the text to a word doc especially if you are linking from/to another website otherwise any text you have written will disappear... this site doesn't 'auto save' like many other forums, or insert your pic or link in first then then write your text. There have been a couple of occasions when I have written text then gone to another thread on this forum... or link only to find all the text has gone when I want to insert the 'link'... flippin annoying when you've spent some time single finger typing, so I now copy text to a word doc, then copy/paste back once I've inserted a link/ pic from elsewhere.

George.

Enough!26/03/2016 17:54:43
1719 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by mechman48 on 26/03/2016 17:25:30:

There have been a couple of occasions when I have written text then gone to another thread on this forum... or link only to find all the text has gone when I want to insert the 'link'

That will happen (elsewhere as well as here) if you open the second thread in the same tab. If you use a new tab (or indeed a whole new window), the first tab will still retain its data.

You can open a link in a new tab by just centre-clicking on a link with the mouse .... or right click and select from the menu.

Thomas Staubo26/01/2017 18:10:30
54 forum posts

Edit: Wow, suddenly it worked. Don't ask me why :D

Hi Neil!

Can you tell me why I can't embed my pictures here?

One example: with [img] code:

Just the link: http://i.imgur.com/WOyNY5M.jpg

Thomas

Edited By Thomas Staubo on 26/01/2017 18:11:47

Edited By Thomas Staubo on 26/01/2017 18:12:37

JasonB26/01/2017 18:18:32
23022 forum posts
2763 photos
1 articles

Works OK for me using the image tab along the top of the reply box and pasting the url into the box BUT you need to reduce the width 4600 is way too big, try 640 wide like this

Thomas Staubo26/01/2017 18:21:04
54 forum posts

I figured out that the link provided was without ".jpg" at the end :D

Like this: http://imgur.com/WOyNY5M

larry Phelan16/03/2017 18:17:09
544 forum posts
17 photos

Someone said that Neil and Jason were very patient ,I think that must be an understatement. How you put up with some of the questions,my own included,I just dont know. Perhaps at this stage you have come across them all.

I saw a sign in a suppliers shop many years ago which said in large letters "DONT BE AFRAID TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS,THEY ARE MUCH EASIER TO DEAL WITH THAN STUPID MISTAKES ".I never forgot that,so I continue to ask stupid questions. Once I get the answer,they dont seem so stupid after all.

Keep up the good work,there are a lot of people like me out there !!

Curtis Rutter02/04/2017 11:42:38
132 forum posts
14 photos

For some reason only certain photos will upload to an album from my iPhone? I think it's the screenshot type photos that I have trouble uploading?

SillyOldDuffer02/04/2017 11:48:11
8860 forum posts
1994 photos
Posted by Curtis Rutter on 02/04/2017 11:42:38:

For some reason only certain photos will upload to an album from my iPhone? I think it's the screenshot type photos that I have trouble uploading?

Check your screenshots are being saved as jpg files. By default my screenshots aren't. They're saved as png images which the site doesn't accept. All is well when I manually save the screenshots in jpg format,

Curtis Rutter02/04/2017 11:55:32
132 forum posts
14 photos
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 02/04/2017 11:48:11:

Check your screenshots are being saved as jpg files. By default my screenshots aren't. They're saved as png images which the site doesn't accept. All is well when I manually save the screenshots in jpg format,

The settings are default and can't be changed on an iPhone 🙄

Michael Gilligan02/04/2017 12:09:39
20289 forum posts
1064 photos

Posted by Curtis Rutter on 02/04/2017 11:55:32:

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 02/04/2017 11:48:11:

The settings are default and can't be changed on an iPhone 🙄

I use this : https://appsto.re/gb/gAlOeb.i

PNG <-> JPG Images Converter by Evan Hurst
https://appsto.re/gb/gAlOeb.i

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 02/04/2017 12:12:08

Curtis Rutter02/04/2017 12:16:48
132 forum posts
14 photos

Sorted, Ta

Neil Wyatt02/04/2017 15:14:24
19076 forum posts
736 photos
80 articles

IrfanView is pretty good it does batch conversion of just about anything to anything, including RAW and will do things like batch gamma adjust etc.

Only gotcha is that it downsamples RAWs by 50% by default (I suppose it was written with smaller computers in mind), you can turn this off in the preferences.

Neil

Eddy Curr10/10/2017 21:47:05
39 forum posts

Do threads with a high number of photos embedded in-line so as to display directly in posts present a performance hit for many ME viewers due to bandwidth limitations ?

To wit:

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=130783

As a recent émigré from places where posting images into the thread is the norm, I notice that the custom here at ME tends more toward inserting links that would allow others to decide whether to view the images at their discretion, rather than having this thrust upon them merely by opening the thread.

While I will always make an effort to submit compact images, I wonder whether that is enough or if culling/using links is something I ought to consider?

JasonB11/10/2017 07:26:51
23022 forum posts
2763 photos
1 articles

I think the main reason we get a few links here is that people don't know how to insert their photos as the forum has a bit of a unique way to do them.

I would say we have far more inserted images be they from an album on this site or externally hosted ones, most links seem to be to other websites not just images.

J

Ian S C11/10/2017 09:47:19
7468 forum posts
230 photos

At least your photos seem safer in an album on this site than in "PB".

Ian S C

SillyOldDuffer11/10/2017 11:45:34
8860 forum posts
1994 photos
Posted by Eddy Curr on 10/10/2017 21:47:05:

Do threads with a high number of photos embedded in-line so as to display directly in posts present a performance hit for many ME viewers due to bandwidth limitations ?

To wit:

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=130783

As a recent émigré from places where posting images into the thread is the norm, I notice that the custom here at ME tends more toward inserting links that would allow others to decide whether to view the images at their discretion, rather than having this thrust upon them merely by opening the thread.

While I will always make an effort to submit compact images, I wonder whether that is enough or if culling/using links is something I ought to consider?

Q. Do threads with a high number of photos embedded in-line so as to display directly in posts present a performance hit for many ME viewers due to bandwidth limitations ?

A. Don't know. It depends on how many ME users happen to have slow links. Depends where you live and what you paid for. In the absence of statistics I'd guess most users are in the UK and most of them have good bandwidth. Not all! Same uncertainty with International users. Whilst the transatlantic service between the UK and North America is good, the internet service available in Bellevue Arizona is probably poo compared with New York or Toronto.

Advantages of hosting on the forum:

• Pictures are automatically scaled down to reduce size as they are uploaded, which is efficient.
  • Provided the forum is maintained, pictures won't be lost. (Photobucket!)
  • No need to organise and use a separate web-hosting service to store photos.
  • Free

Disadvantages of hosting on the forum:

• Quirky upload and publishing process. (Easy enough once you've understood it though.)
  • Pictures are automatically scaled down to reduce size as they are uploaded, which loses detail
  • By default, pictures are opened automatically. You can give users the choice by linking to a forum hosted photo if you want but finding the URL you need is slightly convoluted.

Advantages of web-hosting pictures somewhere else:

• Suits people who already store photos 'in the cloud'
  • Image size not restricted (but big pictures punish low bandwidth viewers)
  • Easier to insert links than to use forum publishing
  • By default user can choose whether to open it or not.

Disadvantage of web-hosting pictures somewhere else:

• Has to be organised and set-up
  • May not be free, or comes encumbered with adverts or other disadvantages
  • Vulnerable to commercial pressures including going out of business, bandwidth throttling, maximum use limits, and cost increases.
  • Performance depends on third-party servers and network connections
  • External linking may be a breach of the cloud services 'Terms and Conditions'.
  • Potential copyright issues if you link to someone else's material without permission

Culling? Probably unnecessary. There must be a limit, but it's probably well into the thousands and most people don't publish lots of photos. I expect a moderator would intervene should culling become necessary.

No need to overthink it. Enjoy.

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate