All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neil Wyatt01/01/2015 17:38:42
15980 forum posts
674 photos
73 articles

There are two ways to insert pictures into your postings:

1. Upload your own pictures to an album, and insert these
  2. Link to images hosted on other websites, your own or other peoples.

Let's look at the first, the next message will look at linked images. Start by creating an album - when logged in click on the album link on the green bar at the top of the page:

albums.jpg

This will bring up your existing albums, if you haven't got any then choose create album:

create album.jpg

I won't go through what then appears, it is really straightforward to name and describe an album. Don't forget to make sure the 'public' box is checked or no-one else can see the pictures. You can then view the album, and choose to 'add more photos':

add photos.jpg

Once you have done this, you should be able to view your albums. If you left it marked as public when you created it, you can share the photos in messages.

So, start a message and when you come to the point where you want a picture, click the black camera icon above the text entry area:

picture icons.jpg

It's the right hand one of the two I have ringed. This will bring up a list of your albums. Click on the album you want, then look through the different pictures and choose the one you want. Note that if you added the album after starting the message you won't see the image listed. Start a new message!

One gotcha, the cursor will return to the top left of your message, just scroll back down to the bottom. It also pays to make sure there isn't any text on the same line as the picture, it works, but will look odd.

Good luck,

Neil

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 26/03/2016 17:01:12

Neil Wyatt01/01/2015 17:49:29
15980 forum posts
674 photos
73 articles

Now linking to images on other websites!

First find the image on the web, right click on it and select 'copy image location'.

When editing your message, click the green picture icon, next to the camera icon, at the point where you want the picture to appear:

picture icons.jpg

Yes, it's the left-hand one here. Now I will explain the dialogue box that comes up as it does confuse some poor souls:

web link.jpg

Click on the URL box at the top (sorry I partly obscured the letters URL) and paste your web link here (Use CTRL-V as your browser settings may not allow a shortcut to work here).

If you now click elsewhere the picture will load. Large pictures or ones off slow websites may take a while.

It's good manners to put a description (not a name) of the picture in the alternative-text box for visually impaired users and to help search-engines index the picture, but not essential.

What is essential is to add a new width of NO MORE THAN 600 PIXELS. The height will change in proportion. This stops the web-page formatting being screwed up and is what moderators have to change when users make the columns go funny.

Don't click the little padlock, if you do height and width will become independent and the picture will look odd.

You can ignore the formatting options, and just click 'OK'.

All the pics so far are from an album. The one below is embedded, it was originally 1600 pixels wide, I reduced it to 600.

Neil

Dandelion

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 01/01/2015 17:50:38

Neil Wyatt02/01/2015 10:27:06
15980 forum posts
674 photos
73 articles

Photobucket

For some strange reason people do insist on using Photobucket to store their online pictures

Photobucket uses flash (or something similar) so the normal copy image location doesn't work, instead it generates some HTML which contains much redundant information. You need to paste this into the URL box and strip out everything except the URL between the [IM G] and [/IM G] tags (including the tags). Ignore the spaces in those tags - they stop the site thinking the word 'and' between them is an image...

This is not an error with this site, but a quirk of how Photobucket generates image location information.

Neil

EDIT. Photobucket users should just copy the "direct" link from the top right of the PB screen and past that into the url box. If your images are large also change the size to 640 wide. Jason

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 02/01/2015 11:11:14

Edited By JasonB on 21/03/2017 08:05:13

Neil Wyatt02/01/2015 10:35:18
15980 forum posts
674 photos
73 articles

YouTube

Youtube works differently. The YouTube button on the reply box brings up simple instructions. They are:

(When viewing the page with the video) Click Share

Now click the Embed button

Click 'show more'

Choose customised from the list of sizes

Set the size to 450 wide (actually you can choose the default 560 wide option).

Copy the code generated.

Now start your message, and where you want the video click the YouTube icon - second from the right, below:

picture icons.jpg

Now, paste the code generated by YouTube in the box and click save. Don't worry if it doesn't display until you have saved the message, you should just get a box with 'iframe' in it.

In true internet tradition, a cat video, but one relevant to model engineering (just):

Neil

martin perman02/01/2015 10:56:16
1571 forum posts
66 photos

Neil,

Never had a problem with other forums until now smiley photobucket give me two choices, HTML or IMG and its IMG I use. being a bit thick what do I need to chop from this [URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/martinperman/media/DSCF3143_zps32425438.jpg.html][IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/martinperman/DSCF3143_zps32425438.jpg[/IMG][/URL] is this correct [URL=http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/martinperman/DSCF3143_zps32425438.jpg[URL]

Martin P

Neil Wyatt02/01/2015 11:09:34
15980 forum posts
674 photos
73 articles

The bit between the [IMG] and [/IMG] tags (I used the wrong brackets, I'll change them).

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/martinperman/DSCF3143_zps32425438.jpg

The bit you snipped contains this as well, but is more difficult to edit.

The image URL must start with either http:// or www. and end with.jpg and have no gaps or brackets in it.

Neil

martin perman02/01/2015 13:22:03
1571 forum posts
66 photos

Neil, Thanks for your help, I've followed everything you have said to do with no joy, I just wont bother posting pictures but put the link to my Photobucket site instead..

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 02/01/2015 13:24:12

Edited By martin perman on 02/01/2015 13:25:18

JasonB02/01/2015 13:50:18
15386 forum posts
1586 photos
1 articles

Martin I think you are trying to put photobucket images into your album here, it won't work you need to select them from your computer.

If trying from photobucket as I said in the other thread you need to copy the "direct link" not IMG or HTML this will give you a url that starts with http which as Neil says is what you need.

direct.jpg

Neil no need to start stripping out code etc from Photobucket that is not needed if you select the right link in the first place

You have also circled the wrong icon in th eYoutube post

Edited By JasonB on 02/01/2015 13:56:26

Edited By JasonB on 02/01/2015 13:58:28

martin perman02/01/2015 14:02:15
1571 forum posts
66 photos

Jason,

I will give it a bash, on two other forums I use the IMG and it has always worked.

Neil, Jason,

Again thank you, your a patient pair the both off you.

Martin P

martin perman02/01/2015 14:23:09
1571 forum posts
66 photos

Jason,

I load pictures from my computer into my MEW album without problem but they always come out small but I'm not going to struggle with that one, my company sent me a new smart phone just after Xmas but they forgot the two year old scientist to show me how to use it, took me two days to get it up and running smiley

Martin P

JasonB02/01/2015 14:48:20
15386 forum posts
1586 photos
1 articles

Yep IMG works everywhere else but herecrying

Also interesting that the PB one you have just posted is as good a quality as the one I used yesterday but the two you posted via the forum were a poor quality.

Edited By JasonB on 02/01/2015 14:49:37

martin perman02/01/2015 15:10:29
1571 forum posts
66 photos

Jason,

Slightly off posting, my wife has granted me permission to use her Buggy wink lots of browny points, so a mate is taking me to Ally Pally with my camera.

Martin P

JasonB02/01/2015 15:30:48
15386 forum posts
1586 photos
1 articles

Just don't drive over my toessmile o

Neil Wyatt02/01/2015 19:06:44
15980 forum posts
674 photos
73 articles

> Neil no need to start stripping out code etc from Photobucket that is not needed if you select the right link in the first place

Thanks Jason - I'm so used to seeing broken photobucket links...

I think they don't work because the editor display is set to reject inline HTML, which can help stop abuse.

If I create an article, I CAN put HTML in that, so it must be possible, here, but the main effect of enabling it would be lots of garish fonts and backgrounds...

Neil

Muzzer02/01/2015 19:08:38
2904 forum posts
448 photos

Now back with Windows 8.1 again (new SDD drive and vanilla install), so all photos from the iPhone end up in landscape orientation in posts to this forum whether I want them like that or not, even if they were portrait to begin with. Must be an Apple / Microsoft thing.

Murray

ALAN STAMMERS 129/03/2015 08:14:31
42 forum posts
32 photos

thanks for the info but i will leave out the photo option as you say its certainly not easy

D.A.Godley24/02/2016 19:43:06
85 forum posts
35 photos

If I want to upload a photo into my album from my IPad, how do I go about it ?

I have tried to follow the posted advice, but get nowhere ! And I know you have dealt with it before , but clearly, my technophobic abilities far surpass those of previous enquirers. One to one training may be required .🙄

Regards,

David.

D.A.Godley24/02/2016 20:06:08
85 forum posts
35 photos

Not sure I fully understand , something to do with allowing access to the photo file, but I have got there in the end, sorry to have bothered you

Regards,

David

Neil Wyatt24/02/2016 21:11:22
15980 forum posts
674 photos
73 articles

Not having any i-products I'm afraid I can't assist.

Neil

Harry Wilkes24/02/2016 21:36:34
670 forum posts
59 photos
Posted by D.A.G. on 24/02/2016 19:43:06:

If I want to upload a photo into my album from my IPad, how do I go about it ?

I have tried to follow the posted advice, but get nowhere ! And I know you have dealt with it before , but clearly, my technophobic abilities far surpass those of previous enquirers. One to one training may be required .🙄

Regards,

David.

Hi David

After seeing your question I thought I'd see if there was any problems so I uploaded a test photo using my iPhone and have to say the procedure was no different that uploading from my laptop

Opened ME webpage on iPhone and signed in

Opened my albums then the album I choose for the test and clicked add photos

The small 'add file' boxes appeared navigated to photo the clicked upload

and for for on the iPhone it was as simple as that hope this helps

H

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest