Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Portable steam cleaner

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Rik Shaw18/11/2014 17:03:53
1469 forum posts
398 photos

Has anyone got one of those hand held portable steam cleaners the like they sell in ALDI or WILKO? Would it be man enough to remove seventy five years of accumulated black tarry oil deposit as seen within my shaper table?

Rik

shaper table clag.jpg

Edited By Rik Shaw on 18/11/2014 17:11:47

Edited By Rik Shaw on 18/11/2014 17:17:16

Neil Wyatt18/11/2014 17:13:11
18894 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles

Perhaps you should get English Heritage to organise an archaeological investigation first!

Neil

Neil Wyatt18/11/2014 17:18:35
18894 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles

Perhaps you should get English Heritage to organise an archaeological investigation first!

Neil

Howi18/11/2014 17:34:50
332 forum posts
19 photos

Well! You could suck it and see, if it won't, give it to your wife for Christmas devil.

With 75 years wirth of crud, you might be better off with a thermal lance.........

Peter Tucker18/11/2014 17:49:45
183 forum posts

Hi Ric,

I don’t know the particular cleaners you are looking at however some time ago my wife bought a handheld steam cleaner which proved to be absolutely useless so I would strongly recommend that you do not waste your money on one of these.

Best of luck.

Peter.

Phil Whitley18/11/2014 19:26:27
1394 forum posts
147 photos

we have a polti vaporetto, steam cleaner which is excellent on carpets and car interiors, it easily delivers enough steam to make short work of this, but you would need to glove up!

Phil

frank brown18/11/2014 20:04:14
436 forum posts
5 photos

I suspect that because of the high conductivity of the iron, the steam will condense into water, except for the steam that escapes to rust your other tools. We have a Vax floor steam cleaner for our kitchen tiles. Its operator says its very good. Can you not borrow a steam wall paper stripper?

Frank

Mike Poole18/11/2014 20:23:46
3162 forum posts
72 photos

I think if anyone in your area still has a hot caustic tank it would be worth a small fee rather than spend time and money on other cleaning methods, engine refurbishers could well be the people to contact.

Mike

houstonceng18/11/2014 20:26:52
38 forum posts

We have a Polti Vaporetto and I agree it's great on carpets, floor tiles, tiled walls, etc.

However, when I tried to clean the really mucky club loco and, at another time, the alloy wheels on my car, I found that the steam immediately turned to water and it was useless for these tasks.

Try some solvent - eg caustic soda or paraffin with the usual precautions - and a bit of El Bow grease.

FMES18/11/2014 22:16:07
607 forum posts
2 photos

A visit to your local car garage to enquire about using a proper steam cleaner would be more of use.

I have a Kaarcher Diesel powered high temperature water (95deg) @ 140 bar that will strip paint from an engine block in seconds.

Take some rust preventer with you as it will get a surface coat of corrosion before you get it back in the boot of your car.

Gordon W19/11/2014 09:56:45
2011 forum posts

Use Gunk or similar cleaner, then pressure washer, might take a couple of goes but it will work. PS best to use next doors drive.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
rapid Direct
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest