Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Remember me

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Breva16/11/2014 17:44:21
89 forum posts
7 photos

Can anyone please explain the use of the "Remember me" function at the bottom of the Log In box.

I always tick the box but I still have to log in if I leave the site and then return to it. I am obviously missing something.

John

Neil Wyatt16/11/2014 18:17:21
18990 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles

Hi John,

If you use different computers, or you log in to another MyTimeMedia website you will be logged out.

From time to time it does seem to forget for unknown reasons (phase of the moon, FT index is a prime number...), but usually a log in lasts a week.

Neil

jason udall16/11/2014 18:31:11
2031 forum posts
41 photos
Nope...seems the same for me.
Breva16/11/2014 18:34:47
89 forum posts
7 photos

Thanks Neil,

I use the same computer all the time so that not the reason. I do ramble off to other site certainly but they can't all be My Time Media!

Must be the moon as you say.moon

John

PS. I haven't seen anyone say it, but you're playing a blinder Neil, since you took over as Moderator!

Steambuff16/11/2014 18:38:13
529 forum posts
7 photos

If you have disabled Cookies is will also forget you! when you leave the site.

Dave

Breva16/11/2014 18:46:55
89 forum posts
7 photos

Thanks Dave, that could explain it. BUT I have left the site twice since the first posting and it has remembered me both times when I came back! Taking the Mick or what?

John

clivel16/11/2014 19:50:36
336 forum posts
17 photos

The browser retains web site information until it is closed, so even if you leave a site and come back, the relevant login information is still retained in memory by the browser. But this information is transient; when the browser is closed it is gone.

Cookies are a means for the browser to remember web site specific information between sessions. If one has cookies disabled there is no possible means for a site to remember one.

I really don't see the point of disabling cookies, their primary function is user convenience. Worst case they are a means of tracking browsing habits in an attempt to display targeted advertisements. And as much as we may dislike advertisements, without them there would be no web as we know it today, The Googles of the world could simply not exist.

Clive

Enough!17/11/2014 00:56:35
1719 forum posts
1 photos

Posted by clivel on 16/11/2014 19:50:36:

The Googles of the world could simply not exist.

Oh heavenly days! We could go back to decent search engines like Altavista et al which didn't give priority to hits that were trying to sell you something; that assumed that what you typed is what you wanted (if you mis-typed, then correct your own error - don't force guessing games on the rest of us); that correctly processed a quoted string.

There was a life on the internet before Google.

Edited By Bandersnatch on 17/11/2014 00:59:06

clivel17/11/2014 05:53:37
336 forum posts
17 photos
Posted by Bandersnatch on 17/11/2014 00:56:35:t.

Oh heavenly days! We could go back to decent search engines like Altavista

There was a life on the internet before Google.

But what a restricted life it was, at the time of its demise Altavista was apparently capable of indexing up to 20 million pages but was actually indexing far less than that. Google's ability to index the billions of pages that the web now comprises requires enormous financial resources that have to come from somewhere. AltaVista disappeared because it didn't have a business model which allowed them to provide the services that web users wanted.

Altavista was a toy in comparison to what we have now. It is absolutely phenomenal at just how much information Google has indexed and just how quickly it can return it to a users computer. Pick your favourite loco enter it into a Google search box, and a fraction of a second later you are able to view hundreds of photos of it from all around the world.

Russell Eberhardt17/11/2014 09:13:32
2728 forum posts
86 photos

If viewing this site using Firefox, under Preferences > Security > Tracking you have three options. You need to select the middle one "Tell sites that I want to be tracked" in order to stay logged in.

Other forum websites have the "Remember Me" and an additional button "Stay Logged In" which seems to work without that above setting. Perhaps the web developers could look into that.

Russell.

Enough!17/11/2014 17:28:00
1719 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by clivel on 17/11/2014 05:53:37:
It is absolutely phenomenal at just how much information Google has indexed and just how quickly it can return it to a users computer.

.... and yet...... I spend the next half-hour trying to find relevant hits amongst all the (mostly commercial) noise. Of course I could have spent that half hour trying to configure an advanced search to force Google (against its will) to actually filter the results to a reasonable level with possible (but not guaranteed) success. An advanced search that still won't recognise the difference between "Simple Green" and "simple green" (with quotes in each case).

Capitalisation, where feasible, can be such an effective search restriction .... but not in Google. Everything about Google shouts that it's aim is just the opposite - to prevent you from limiting the search to just those hits that you want and to foist on you (irrelevant) hits that Google (and its advertisers) want you to see. What price speed in that situation?

Breva17/11/2014 19:38:43
89 forum posts
7 photos

Thanks folks for the replies.

Cookies have their uses on the sites you actually want to revisit. It is the third-party cookies that some sites send off to site you never asked to visit that are an invasion in many peoples eyes. I have given up on IE because even when you blocked the third-party cookies you often found that IE had activated them again in your settings. I have no such problems with Safari.

Re the Search engines, a lot of what is said above about Google being commercially driven is true. Wading through the pages to find the info you want can be tiresome. I still go back at times to Altavista when I fail in Google and often find what I want on their first page.

John

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest