Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

LBSC Doris

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ricardo10/11/2014 15:07:43
13 forum posts

Hi

I am considering building LBSC's Doris as a first project, as I am over 60 and it could take some time I may only be making one loco! I hope this is not considered to ambitious.

I have subscribed to Model Engineer Digital in the hope of printing out the original articles but now find they don't go back that far. Rather frustrating.

I have managed to locate on the internet some of the articles but not the latter ones.

Are re-prints for Doris available? Any suggestions on how to proceed or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Richard

IanT10/11/2014 16:43:00
1534 forum posts
144 photos

Suggest you Google "LBSC Doris Locomotive" and see what turns up Richard.

IanT

IanT10/11/2014 17:06:51
1534 forum posts
144 photos

Actually Richard - just tried this myself and the material I remembered being there - isn't any more.

PM me with the ME articles that you actually have - and I will see whether I have the later ones for you.

I'm not sure whether this is a good "first project" (or not) but if you are only going to build one engine and are prepared to take your time, then perhaps you should try to build something that you actually like. You are then much more likely to persevere with the project but be prepared for a long old journey...

Regards,

IanT

Ricardo10/11/2014 19:29:05
13 forum posts

Thanks for the offer Ian. What I have is to be found at **LINK** .this doesn't seem to be complete,

I'm sure there must be a lot of material after this. I hope someone can tell me how to access the rest of the archive because I'm sure I read somewhere that it was available but at extra cost. This would be the best solution.

However, I don't have to have a go at Doris. I'm sure I want to build a 3 1/2 ins as this should be moveable! Something with a tender that looks good, any suggestions?

Regards

Richard

IanT10/11/2014 20:08:57
1534 forum posts
144 photos

Ok, well if you need help with the articles Richard, let me know.

I model in Gauge '3' myself and all my engines are "movable" too! wink

Regards,

IanT

Derek Drover10/11/2014 21:34:01
85 forum posts

There are a very good range of loco's in 3 1/2 inch gauge... I have a Netta, which is a very powerful little engine.

The Doris may not be the best for a novice, but if you're prepared to take your time and learn as you go, it'll turn into a very fulfilling project.

As for other "good" loco's of this scale... There's LBSC's Maisie, Princess Marina, or personally, of the big tank engines I'm a fan of Martin Evan's Jubilee.

Have you looked at the list of engines you can get plans/parts for from AJ Reeves ?? They show some good illustrations to give you an idea of the type of loco. (There are also other suppliers out there - usual disclaimer!!!)

ta

Del

J Hancock10/11/2014 22:33:40
408 forum posts

And when you have made your choice of locomotive to build , try to contact as many previous constructors as possible to establish the drawing errors , before making the pieces !

Have a healthy sceptism of dimensions until you have transposed them yourself onto squared paper and see that the coupling rod will not hit the crosshead, or weighshaft. That the connecting rod won't clash with the expansion link or the eccentric rod not line up with the back-set pin.

Check everything before removing metal !

stan pearson 110/11/2014 22:45:32
135 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Richard

I built a LBSC Doris and still have it, it is not easy but you should not be afraid to make it, most parts are the same as any other loco so it wont matter which you pick. I have still got all the drawings and copies from ME on how to build it.

Stan

Bob Youldon11/11/2014 16:10:49
183 forum posts
20 photos

Hello Richard,

It is always interesting when the question arises, what should the beginner start on, well the first thing is join a club or at least couple, look and listen, then you'll start to tease out what will suit you best. I've always said directly you start to make that first cut then you're in there with the rest of us, you're no longer a beginner.

I certainly subscribe to the idea of 3.5" gauge for your first locomotive, what you need is a well proven design without any vices, together with perhaps a written description, drawings and castings also need to be available, don't buy all the castings at once! In all of my many years as a miniature locomotive builder, perhaps too many! I think the locomotive that will always fit the bill is LBSC's Maisie, simple, uncomplicated, no difficult machining problems, straightforward and hundreds built over the years; a construction book is also readily available. I've seen all kinds of examples from the dog rough to cup winners, but they have all one thing in common, they go well.

If and when you do get started, build the bogie first, as one old chap said to me it'll give you something to push up and down (not on the dining room table) and it'll give you that extra impetus carry on.

Have a look at this chap enjoying himself: http://www.youtube.com/user/ianp6155?blend=6&ob=5

Also have a trawl around on the internet for LBSC, Maisie, there are plenty of photographs, links etc and if you are anywhere near the Bluebell Railway, they're building one 12" - 1ft much the same just the bits are a bit bigger!

Best of luck with your project.

Regards,

Bob Youldon

Ricardo11/11/2014 16:20:57
13 forum posts

Bob

Thanks for the advise, which I have taken on board, it looks a fine locomotive. Something else for me to consider.

Regards

Richard

Neil Wyatt11/11/2014 20:30:55
17902 forum posts
706 photos
77 articles
Here's that Maisie video:
Derek Drover16/11/2014 13:24:10
85 forum posts

Here's a clip of me test running my Netta after its rebuild in 2011... (cab & running boards not fitted)..

**LINK**

Ady116/11/2014 14:59:09
3693 forum posts
514 photos

There are a whole bunch of articles on Doris from Volume 98 ME2449 to volume 101 ME2524

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
cowells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest