The Post Man Cometh.

James Coombes Engine

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nick_G30/03/2015 16:46:44
1808 forum posts
744 photos

Thanks for the kind words guy's.

To buy or build a boiler. That is the next question.?

I have done quite a bit of soft soldering over the years but the skill of silver soldering and the required equipment is something I possess neither of. - Is jumping in a the deep end of making a boiler a good place to start to learn this skill I am wondering.?

Any advice will be welcome.

Many thanks again, Nick

NJH30/03/2015 18:02:20
2314 forum posts
139 photos

Nick

In my, albeit limited, experience silver soldering is not difficult. It requires scrupulous cleanliness in the joint areas and a reasonably close fit of the components to be soldered. Heat to get the component parts warm and a little extra heat applied to the cleaned and fluxed joints when applying the solder to get it to run. Sure, have a practice on some scrap copper sheet first and you will see how easy it is and will quickly gain confidence. Good fitting joints are needed - you don't want to try filling holes and gaps with silver solder and, just to reiterate, cleanliness is vital.

Apart from the method and amount of heat required I don't think it's much more difficult than soft soldering.

I do like the James Coombes and my current project of the " Trapezium Connecting Rod Engine" is similar in many respects - I may actually finish it one day !

Regards

Norman

Edited By NJH on 30/03/2015 18:03:53

Edited By NJH on 30/03/2015 18:08:44

Nick_G03/07/2016 00:31:34
1808 forum posts
744 photos

Another thread had prompted me to make this post after all this time. surprise

Although I have another project 'on-the-go' presently. (which I have neglected this last couple of months) I do think a 2 X scale of the James Coombes on the size of and perhaps using the cylinder etc. of the major beam would be a most impressive model.

Would require the fabrication of the base, flywheel and the cross head guides, but certainly 'do-able'. yes

Only issue for me would be that my lathe can only turn 10 1/2" so flywheel would be a problem without using my friends lathe.

Nick

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest