Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Vintage motorbike

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Phil P09/10/2014 13:11:46
802 forum posts
194 photos

I built quite a few trials specials when I was riding back then.

This one was an ex army BSA B40 engine in a Royal Enfield frame I called it a "Sabre" which was a play on the letters of BSA & RE

sabre.jpg

I think one of my favourites was this Royal Enfield Bullet. It started life looking like this when I bought it.

bullet before.jpg

A few weeks burning the candle at both ends produced this.

bullet.jpg

Phil

Gordon W09/10/2014 14:15:52
2011 forum posts

Some very nice bikes here, a bit modern for me tho'. Can anyone remember the chap , lived near York, who built a vertical twin OHC Norton ? That was a big beast. Our home built grass bikes were never pretty, all entered as JCS Special, jubilee clip special. That gives some idea of the standard.

Clive Hartland09/10/2014 16:00:38
2820 forum posts
40 photos

While I was at Donnington Base Workshops I met a Bill Doran who co-owned a garage in Wellington. His partner was his mechanic and Bill rode in the Isle of man TT races but gave it up when he got married. I got lots of help and advice from both of them when doing my NH 350. A motorcycle was essential for a young soldier as you could not afford the train fares and the bike allowed you to travel at any time. I often went over Holme Moss in all weathers to get to Sunderland where my parents were stationed. That ride over the hills dodging sheep and high winds was an experience.

Clive

Mike09/10/2014 17:16:30
713 forum posts
6 photos

Gordon, your JCS name for your grass track specials reminds me of a reasonable successful grass track special in 1965, when I was a sub-editor on Motor Cycle News. The owner called it Shy Tot. Think about it......

OuBallie09/10/2014 17:17:48
1166 forum posts
662 photos

Now now Nick, behave!

Now maybe possible, then absolutely not devil

I would have gone for one of the new fours, but couldn't afford it what with circuit racing.

Geoff - Will never forget the feeling of 'freedom' riding gave me.

Tony Pratt 109/10/2014 17:20:01
1961 forum posts
12 photos
Posted by OuBallie on 09/10/2014 11:30:54:

Tony,

Those 'crash' bars reminded me that they where compulsory in SA and pretty useless at any speed over walking pace.

I found out when I T-boned a drunk vagrant who had wondered into the road during a Transvaal cloudburst, and I was tippy toeing as well speed wise.

The only time I rode without my race car full face Bell was the day I bought the bike, and then only because I just didn't feel happy with it on.

One thing the dealer didn't tell me was that the gearbox was sequential, so I floundered for a while before I somehow found out.

During one particularly spirited ride, changing up at maximun revs third to fourth I think, my left hand was jerked free from the grip due to acceleration forces, and in a LH sweeping bend, leaned well over.

Now that caught my attention somewhat!

Did have a good Robot 'dice' with an American muscle car, side by side all the way into top gear, before I had to turn off.

Ahh, the adrenaline days. Good memories.

Geoff - Got lost last night trying to find that effing pub! Useless SatNav!

Ah happy days indeed, from a distance of 40 odd years I can't for the life of me see what the crash bars were meant to do, but I do remember that all the lads with bars used to think it was a good idea to scrape them as you went round a corner, now that was dicing with danger looking back on itsmiley.

Tony

OuBallie09/10/2014 17:26:37
1166 forum posts
662 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 08/10/2014 19:04:19:

> How the heck do you insert smileys at the end of a sentence?

Practice

Neil

GRRRRR!

Geoff - Life's too short to practice

Howard Lewis09/10/2014 18:38:59
6104 forum posts
14 photos

A beautifully restored example! A lot of time and effort has gone into this machine.

For good balance on a twin, it should be a 90 degree twin, as, if statically balanced, the secondaries are balanced out by the other cylinder. Which was one of the reasons that the Brough Superior lived up to its name.

Narrow angle twins are very difficult to balance, nor are the Induction and Exhaust pulses equally spaced, which makes tuning to optimise performance more difficult.

Howard

Kenneth Deighton09/10/2014 19:37:55
69 forum posts

Hi Gordon , the mans name was Ernie Jackson and he lived of Nunnery Lane York, he built a 1000cc OHC twin in the late 1940's by grafting two singles together and it was before Norton's ever made one . I was in my early teens and used to visit his workshop and hover around to see his motorcycles , it had a left hand twist hand grip which operated the steering damper, he also converted a 500 cc single OHC from shaft operation to chain drive. I hope someone can find them and put up some photographs.

Ken.

ronan walsh09/10/2014 20:13:03
546 forum posts
32 photos

Someone who does amazing motorcycle engine projects, and in a home workshop is allen millyard. Below is a link to a page about his build of a 5 litre v-twin. He has previously made a 2 litre v-8 splicing together two kawasaki z-1's.

http://thekneeslider.com/allen-millyard-builds-a-5-liter-v-twin/

Neil Wyatt09/10/2014 20:50:27
19032 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles

> Did have a good Robot 'dice' with an American muscle car, side by side all the way into top gear, before I had to turn off.

> So a European designed 1200 cc car would have totally cained you then.!

I managed to 'fishtail' a Marina once!

Neil

JimmieS09/10/2014 21:06:36
290 forum posts
1 photos

Anyone with an idea of building a trials bike from scratch should have a look at Charlie Prescott's web site www.bsaotter.com

Nick_G09/10/2014 21:56:55
1808 forum posts
744 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 09/10/2014 20:50:27:

I managed to 'fishtail' a Marina once!

Neil

With snow on the road presumably. cheeky

I had a coupe one in blue in the early 80's

Nick

daveb09/10/2014 22:32:29
626 forum posts
10 photos

I never fishtailed the Marina but did it quite a lot in the E Type, I once did a U turn when I intended to turn right. Both these cars had torsion bar suspension but that is where all similarity ended. The Jaguar was SO beautiful, what a pity it didn't handle as well as the Marina.

Gordon W10/10/2014 10:39:38
2011 forum posts

Hi, Ken. Yes that's the man, Ernie, Maybe I even met you there!. He worked on Riley cars also. I remember he was not amused at the M/C press coverage, all saying he had made new castings for crankcase when " all " he'd done was make a spacer. Also had BMW front forks liberated from Germany and carried home. Mike I remember that name. I once had a Tiger Cub trials bike, my only try at it, it was so bad I threw it into a quarry, but it survived.

Michael Gilligan10/10/2014 11:25:48
20182 forum posts
1053 photos
Posted by Gordon W on 10/10/2014 10:39:38:

I once had a Tiger Cub trials bike, my only try at it, it was so bad I threw it into a quarry, but it survived.

I had a lovely Bultaco 350 Sherpa, but only really used it for trail-riding [and, being road-legal, commuting to work!].

I did enrol on a one-day "masterclass", but bottled-out when we started riding to the practice area ... The tutor was a young man from the Lampkin family [before Dougie's time, but it's in the genes]. crying

MichaelG.

Edit: corrected the closing line.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 10/10/2014 11:29:01

Michael Horner19/10/2014 11:19:45
222 forum posts
63 photos

stafford show 045.jpgHi

Went to the Staffordshire showground for the Motorcycle Mechanics offering stafford show 047.jpgon Saturday. Took some photos of the Vintage stuff.

stafford show 039.jpg

There's a few more pictures in the alblum, did't want to overload the post. The BSA triple is a V6!

Enjoy.

Michael

Michael Gilligan19/10/2014 11:33:06
20182 forum posts
1053 photos
Posted by Michael Horner on 19/10/2014 11:19:45:

The BSA triple is a V6!

That is very nice indeed smile p

MichaelG.

John Stevenson19/10/2014 12:28:20
5068 forum posts
3 photos

Couple of shots of that V6 from the timing side.

Which was a much more interesting side. Crankcase was welded up for about 4 set's a cut and shunt standard cases.

Michael Gilligan19/10/2014 12:32:15
20182 forum posts
1053 photos

Cheers, John

MichaelG.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest