By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JA

Here is a list of all the postings JA has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Where do you put your chuck key?
09/05/2020 08:33:22

I agree with John MC. Magnetism is an absolute curse.

As for chuck keys: When the chuck is not in use and off the lathe, it lives with the chuck. When the chuck is fitted to the lathe and not being used, on the shelf behind the lathe with the other lathe tools. When the lathe is in use, it is usually found, after a search, on the fitting bench four yards from the lathe (I am not sure how it gets there).

JA

Thread: inland seagulls
30/04/2020 13:11:30
Posted by Guy Lamb on 30/04/2020 13:01:59:

To bastardise Parkinsons Law: Population expands to the limit of the available food.

The Rev. Thomas Malthus, 1766 to 1834.

JA

Thread: P&W Jig Borers
28/04/2020 12:34:09

I have a friend who operated a Geni, they were only ever known as Genis where I worked, (5E model, I think) for a good part of his working life. The factory had two, side by side, and only four persons were allowed to use them, two on days and two on nights. In their later days they were in an area called "The Fitters' Mod Pool". They were only ever used for one off jobs such as machining access in large very costly parts for instrumentation (thermocouples, strain gauges etc) and such like. They had to be available for urgent jobs at all times. There were long periods when they did nothing and, sometimes the management turned a blind eye to foreigners. I knew someone who had a Vauxhall Cavalier cylinder head skimmed on one.

A few years ago Home and Workshop Machinery was selling one. It seemed quite cheap but would not fit in my workshop.

A link: http://www.lathes.co.uk/sip/index.html - Stuart beat me to the link

JA

Edited By JA on 28/04/2020 12:35:08

Edited By JA on 28/04/2020 12:40:11

Edited By JA on 28/04/2020 12:41:55

Thread: Blot On The Landscape
24/04/2020 19:57:43

My understanding is that freight trains block the running of the faster passenger services. After the Beeching cuts this was not a problem: The passenger numbers were down and freight was on the roads (except for coal trains to power stations). Now that freight is returning to the railways and passenger trains are full this problem has returned.

Before the War there here was some separation between freight and passenger routes. The main lines, as we know them, carried most of the passengers while the lines line the Settle and Carlisle and the Great Central took the freight. Marples (Beeching was only carrying out orders) believed his motorways should carry the freight so the Great Central disappeared and the Settle and Carlisle nearly followed.

What is now needed is the re-opening of the freight routes which is hardly sexy. So, in stead, we have ambitious projects like HS2.

I have to admit that the whole system outside the east and west coast main lines north of Manchester and Sheffield must be sorted out.

There is little chance of this happening (even before Corvid19), they pulled the plug on the electrification of the Great Western line because it was too difficult (difficulty = cost over-run).

JA

Edited By JA on 24/04/2020 20:00:04

Thread: Which suppliers are open for business?
08/04/2020 21:35:48

I ordered some 8BA nuts and screws from BA Bolts Ltd this afternoon. My payment was accepted so I am expecting a package through the door in a few days.

JA

Thread: Macc models
07/04/2020 16:55:42

I thought, in law, that a retailer had four weeks to satisfy an order. I may be wrong but to expect delivery in a few days may be reasonable but sometimes a little patience is required.

I worked in engineering sales for a big US company for a short time. “As soon as possible” meant exactly that. It was the lowest priority - making the tea was more important.

JA

Edit - Posted during the satisfactory conclusion.

Edited By JA on 07/04/2020 16:58:01

Thread: James Scooter
27/03/2020 09:49:24

Jon & Bill

I would love to agree with you. I have never seen one and never expect to.

Sorry

JA

26/03/2020 21:55:25

Malcolm

Sell it now. They were absolute rubbish. The AMC two stroke engine was one of the worst engines ever produced (equal to the ABC Dragonfly). It was one of the reasons AMC went broke.

A friend at work bought one, new. It would not go up any hill in Bristol. He complained to the dealer who gave him his money back.

It was that bad.

I don’t think any used a Villiers engine.

JA

Thread: Coronavirus
26/03/2020 12:51:47
Posted by Danny M2Z on 26/03/2020 12:45:17:

I finally lost it...Was just in Safeway. Saw a man whose cart was FULL to the brim with hand sanitizers, baby wipes, soap and toilet rolls - everything that people need!! I called him a selfish A, and gave him a low down about the elderly, mums, and people who need these types of things. Told him he should be bloody ashamed of himself!

He said: “Are you finished? Cause I really need to get back to restocking the shelves now...”

* Danny *

yes

JA

22/03/2020 20:20:07

A friend has a son and daughter in law who are policemen. They are just in despair at the public. They are also working twelve hour days.

Expect Germany measures to be imposed on us.

JA

20/03/2020 18:23:11
Posted by blowlamp on 20/03/2020 17:25:25:

Does anyone know anyone who's died of this thing yet?

Martin.

My niece in London, in her mid 20s, is making a full recovery.

JA

19/03/2020 19:44:01
Posted by Cornish Jack on 19/03/2020 18:49:55:

There's no shortage of self-centred, greedy people in the UK as demonstrated. Nothing partcularly new - it happened with the 'salt shortage' in the 60s (?) and the potato similar in the 70s (?). A nation encouraged to believe that " there is no such thing as society" is reacting exactly as one would expect.

rgds

Bill

My memory of the salt shortage was that it happened in the early 80s because the miners in Siberia had gone on strike. This followed the bread shortages because of strikes in big bakeries. I even tried making bread.

JA

18/03/2020 12:14:04
Posted by Danny M2Z on 18/03/2020 02:30:37:

On a more serious note; I have informed the secretary of our Day Club that tomorrow's (19th) meeting shall be our last until further notice due to the vulnerable age of our members. We shall update their contact details and ascertain whether they have support from family/friends for basic necessities. Otherwise I feel that it is our duty to organise some help for the most vulnerable members.

* Danny M *

As the local secretary of a one make motorcycle club I am about to set up a private Facebook account (if such a thing exists) for our members to use etc until this crisis passes.

Two weeks ago I, to my shame, started this thread. I was in the process of rewriting my will. This I have done but I cannot get two persons to witness my signature.

JA

Edited By JA on 18/03/2020 12:15:29

16/03/2020 09:12:32

The ten second test appears to be discredited.

May I suggest that you just take your temperature after getting up in the morning.

JA

15/03/2020 18:34:28
Posted by Bill Chugg on 15/03/2020 17:54:33:

Am I the only one to give cornichons the thumbs down ? no

Bill

Edited By Bill Chugg on 15/03/2020 17:55:10

No.

JA

15/03/2020 15:16:53
Posted by Bill Chugg on 15/03/2020 14:38:58:

Bill

PS Now Waitrose website has crashed. Spoke to them,they cannot cope at present with the on line system so cannot pay for order. Cannot pay for online orders by card at the local branch .

Edited By Bill Chugg on 15/03/2020 14:42:20

Tomorrow’s papers will blame this on Russian hackers.

JA

15/03/2020 13:42:46

pgk

I agree with you about cornichons.

Many thanks for the recipes. I may try number 2 later in the week.

JA

15/03/2020 12:25:22

Are Lidl gherkins better than Waitrose?

I have just got back from my local Waitrose with the important shopping: 3 big jars of gherkins, 2 bottles of wine, 2 bottles of gin, coffee, some tonic water and some bread. The toilet paper had gone.

JA

Edited By JA on 15/03/2020 12:29:40

11/03/2020 20:17:55

Italy has an elderly population. Its birth rate has been very low for years. During my visits to Italy, 25 to 10 years ago, you just did not see children.

South Korea has a young population.

Someone, on this thread, has pointed out that the Chinese smoke an awful lot of fags.

JA

11/03/2020 12:42:00

I suppose it is a bit like a gold rush except that you have something useable at the end.

Now it is off to the supermarket to buy some more toilet rolls.

JA

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest