By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JA

Here is a list of all the postings JA has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Do you clean the workshop up every day?
21/08/2020 20:26:52

I try to clean the workshop every Easter but it is not high on my list of priorities.

I do try to put things back where they belong. At this I am successful since after searching for something for some time I usually find it where it belongs.

JA

Thread: Workshop Equipment
21/08/2020 18:42:51

Pauline

May I suggest a Bristol engine.

Being Derby based you get a very strange view of aero engine history. I know Bristol is further from Leeds than Derby but I believe we made better, but less glamorous, engines. There are also Halford’s (de Havilland) engines that were simpler than Derby and Bristol engines.

I have stirred the pot enough, welcome.

JA (a volunteer at RRHT Bristol in good times)

Thread: Coal Supplies!!!!
16/08/2020 17:36:18

If there is a demand coal will be available. All the government can do is to reduce the demand. For example although leaded petrol is banned it was, and probably still is, available at selected filling stations.

I would love to agree with you Mike but this country, like most others, has never successfully planned for the future.

JA

Thread: What quantity of silver solder needed
14/08/2020 19:44:56

I have never soldered a boiler but I alway calculate how much silver solder I need when I make a joint. I calculate the volume of the joint (capillary thickness, 0.004”, times joint area) and then multiply it by three for the fillets. I can then get the required length of solder rod. It is alway much more than expected.

JA

I should add I always place the solder, or most of it, in position before heating.

Edited By JA on 14/08/2020 19:47:50

Thread: Triumph motorcycle auction
08/08/2020 22:03:12
Posted by larry phelan 1 on 08/08/2020 21:15:00:

I see many English lads touring over here on bikes, but have never seen any of them on English machines.

Reason ?????frown

Where?

JA

Thread: Covid virus and oil
06/08/2020 08:30:30

Although oil won't kill the virus lubricating grease might since it is an emulsion of oil and soap.

Anyway if left alone the virus is dead after three days. I just frequently wash my hands and fore arms in soap and water and don't disinfect my phone, mobile, lathe etc. I have yet to die.

JA

Thread: The making of Steel Balls
05/08/2020 13:05:34

Now do that for a roller. Just compare the cost of roller and ball bearings with the same dimensions.

I used to buy bearings for myself and others at local bearing stockists. If you wanted more than one you would be offered a discount of over 50%. They kept large stocks because most customers had to make an urgent emergency purchase.

JA

Thread: Social Distancing
03/08/2020 14:33:45
Posted by Bazyle on 03/08/2020 13:19:56:

Moving things on a bit - has anyone else noticed they have had fewer minor coughs and colds during the last 6 months, allowing for it being summer? I have and wonder how much is through not being at work where 50% of people have children and others have extended famly contacts, extensive international travel and other sources of trivial infections. My last 3 day cold was two weeks before lockdown as a result of a business trip staying at an airport hotel in Manchester.

My first winter cough/cold usually arrives two days after attending my local surgery's flu vaccination morning.

JA

Thread: Can a small lathe handle a tail stock die holder?
02/08/2020 20:15:54

Die cutting a thread using a lathe tailstock is harder than tapping. With a taper tap you get a good lead in.

I may have exaggerated but die cutting a 3/8” BSF is something I do not do in the lathe (note change of wording). I have done it but with lubricant and good equipment (Araand die holder) I find it difficult. Far more difficult than cutting such a thread using two handed die holder and a vice.

JA

Thread: Social Distancing
02/08/2020 13:17:13

I am surprised that COVID19 infection has remained low in England recently given crowded breaches, demonstrations, raves and the inability of pub landlords to control crowds.

I realise I do not understand this. Have our politicians got things right? Is herd immunity working? Are more than 95% of the population behaving sensibly. Does a-systematic (if that is how one spells it) infection exist?

I have to say that the amount of anti-science feeling is terrifying particularly in the States.

JA

Thread: Can a small lathe handle a tail stock die holder?
02/08/2020 12:55:38

I am unable to cut a 3/8”BSF thread using a good split die in a good die holder mounted in the tail stock by hand. Full stop. I use a mandrill with a handle having a large swing - I just do not have the strength and I am a big person.

If I want to cut such a thread, and I will be doing so in the next few days, I turn a thread and use the die to finish it off.

JA

Thread: Cleaning emergency !
02/08/2020 12:39:01

Meths, or paint thinners. After that try weak hydrogen peroxide as a last resort. Don’t mix these together.

Then a peace pipe and replace the floor surface later,

JA

Thread: Lathe turning speed in relation to different metals
01/08/2020 08:34:57
Posted by Kiwi Bloke on 01/08/2020 08:07:39:

I'm sure you can find more than enough explanation in books - remember them? However, in the home workshop, what works is what matters... Suck it and see.

Suck it and see also applies in industry. For example a lot of high temperature alloys can be machined but since very few businesses use them there is not real "knowledge". So manufacturing engineers have to find cutting speeds. The easiest way is to put a piece in a lathe.........

JA

Thread: Jobs
31/07/2020 16:55:08

The Army has served a major purpose in this country by allowing young men to escape real poverty and/or truly awful jobs like going down the pit.

As for "is an army necessary"?, I think there is one country that does not have a military. Costa Rica got rid of their's many years ago after the military started to get involved in politics. I guess it is nice to have friendly neighbours.

JA

Thread: Magnetised digital calipers
26/07/2020 17:27:37

This afternoon I took a good look at the calipers and found that the reader (the electronics) could easily be detached from the two slides. So I unscrewed the screws, removed the reader, demagnetised the slides and then reassembled everything. And it works.

smileysmiley

JA

26/07/2020 13:53:23
Posted by Iain Downs on 26/07/2020 12:40:58:

Curiously, I just bought a magnetiser / demagnetiser from Aldi for £2.99 (I mean, why not?).

It has 2 holes and you pull a screwdriver through one to magnetise it and the other to demagnetise it.

It *seems* to work - at least on an old phillips screwdriver. I've no idea how.

It won't do for calipers mind you - the hole's too small.

Iain

I bought one of those things, not from Aldi and costing more than £3. I found it very good at magnetising things but useless at demagnetising.

JA

25/07/2020 18:09:14

My memory about magnetism was that you demagnetised an object using an alternating and weakening magnetic field as John stated. You could magnetise an object by using a no-alternating magnetic field, by holding the object, a steel rod say, north-south at an angle of 70 degrees, in the UK, to the Earth's surface and hammering it or by wiping it with another magnet. I think things become magnetised in the workshop by the last mechanism.

My worry is what would a strong alternating magnetic field do to the electronics of the calipers. If I had a cheap digital calipers I would do as Bernard suggests as a trial but I don't.

Perhaps I should put the whole workshop through such an alternating magnetic field.

JA

25/07/2020 12:53:07

I have a rather nice TESA IP65 digital calipers that lives in the workshop. Its body is a magnetic stainless steel and is slowly becoming magnetised. Wiping steel dust off it has become a pain.

I have a good demagnetiser. If I used it on the calipers will I destroy the electronics?

JA

Thread: Cognitive ability.
22/07/2020 11:28:17

I am not sure whether I have "got" this thread. Edit - Rereading the above I failed.

I had to do such a test in my interview to become an apprentice. Two years later about thirty of us horrible youths were gathered by the company for a few days, given a very detail lecture on intelligence tests, their aims and problems, and then did two days of tests. For this we were given a free day and our results. Very so afterwards the company ceased using all such tests.

JA

Edited By JA on 22/07/2020 11:33:07

Thread: Jig for hand tapping
18/07/2020 08:33:01

dscn6476a.jpg

I have used these guides on small shafts and sides of bosses and have yet to break a tap (down to 10BA).

Start the thread immediately after drilling hole using a centre to guide the tap and thread. Once the tap has started, move the part with tap to a small machine vice on the bench. Place the guide over the tap shaft and sit it square on the top faces of the vice jaws. Grip the shaft in the vice and finish tapping.

Obviously this would be difficult with the pulley illustrated.

An Eclipse tap wrench is not my preferred tool for small taps. I made a nice little brass wrench that you can use between finger and thumb.

JA

Edited By JA on 18/07/2020 08:36:15

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest