By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JA

Here is a list of all the postings JA has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: A Couple of Questions about Pipe?
19/09/2021 16:45:20

Chris

I have sent you a PM.

JA

18/09/2021 19:35:48

Jim is right.

Once you have a hole you can do anything with a pipe, or tube. You can make it smaller, larger and even turn it in side out (if the material allows you to do so). The latter was a party trick at the BSC Corby research labs.

A couple of comments: Pipe, tube, can be made from welded strip (seamed) or bar that has had a crack induced up its centre (seemless). The high pressure boiler tube we produced was actually made from strip (it was beautful stuff). Seemed tube has a very consistent wall thickness but the control on diameter can be poor. The converse is true for seemless tube.

JA

Thread: Back to Imperial
18/09/2021 12:55:28

I was working at BSC Corby when tube sizes went metric (on 1 April 1974!). Structural tubes were made in an inch plus 5/8" diameters, ie. 4 5/8" (sensible!). Afterwards the size quoted became 117mm. Have we moved on from there in 47 years? From reading the above, obviously no and some want to go backwards.

I am looking at build a 127mm (5" gauge steam locomotive as a true metric model taking metrification to the next level. I am redesigning it so all the dimensions are sensibly metric (to the nearest 0,5mm), for example 1/2" becomes 12,5mm.

I have two pocket calculators. Both insist on displaying their first answer as a fraction. Not even Clive Sinclar would have done that. I rather liked RPN having used HP calculators years ago (sorry, wrong topic).

dont know

JA

I cannot get rid of the first smiley! It should be )

Edited By JA on 18/09/2021 12:56:59

Edited By JA on 18/09/2021 12:58:13

17/09/2021 13:37:18
Posted by Oily Rag on 17/09/2021 13:02:29:

Regarding wood - I've never understood why it is sold in 1.2 mtr, 2.4 mtr lengths! I assume it is because it is impossible to divide by 3 in the 1, and 2 mtr lengths. Strange that they should decide on such an anomaly in a 10 base system.

Martin

1.2 mitres = 4 feet etc. It is easier to change the numbers than the actual dimensions.

Changing back to imperial units. You must be joking and it is not even 1 April.

JA

Thread: Post Office Deliveries
16/09/2021 13:36:02

The local postal service was very erratic after Christmas and is now down to around three deliveries a week. It is acknowledged that the main sorting office for my area, at Filton, Bristol, has had difficultues with COVID-19.

However their tracking system, unlike Parceforce, works and I had no difficulty in delaying the delivery of a small parcel last week.

I accept the problems and and am happy with their operation. I do avoid the local main post office, which is always busy, and send small packages etc from a small village shop/post office about five miles away.

JA

Thread: TIG welded copper boilers
14/09/2021 11:36:26

Again this concerns a 5" gauge locomotive.

How do TIG welded copper boilers compare with traditional silver soldered boilers? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

JA

Thread: To laser cut or to water cut
12/09/2021 08:48:26

Many thanks for the replies. Which ever I use I realise that I should gather all the suitable items into one batch.

I will now start contacting cuttering companies.

JA

11/09/2021 09:09:35

I am thinking of making a 5" gauge steam locomotive. This would have 4mm thick S275 mild steel frame plates that would be commercially cut to profile with the fixing holes (mostly 3mm diameter) included.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of laser cutting and water cutting?

JA

Thread: Wild life, bird watching and photography
08/09/2021 15:37:54

Yes, in not too serious manner.

My avatar image is my own work. It is a drake Pintail in spring, breeding, plumage.

Enough said. This is hardly model engineering.

JA

Thread: What are the potential hazards of using E10 fuel on classic car seals
02/09/2021 20:09:07

Is it wise to grow crops for fuel when a lot of the world is malnourished?

This was asked at work 15 years ago.

I am going to ignore E10, just like I did with unleaded petrol.

JA

Thread: Cleaning my lathe
02/09/2021 12:55:53

If I have been turning wood or cast iron I get all the swarf off the lathe. Otherwise I just get most of it off. I then wipe the exposed steel (ways, slides, chuck, etc) with clean kitchen paper and put slideway oil, without wiping, on all exposed metal. I just leave the oil to spread over everything (clean oil will never hurt a lathe). When I come to use the lathe again this oil is not removed from most surface.

The "big" lathe has a large drip tray in which swarf gathers until I get fed up with it. The tray is also a puddle of residual oil (lubricating, slideway and neat cutting oil).

How often does it get a deep clean. Ever Easter?

JA

Thread: Aging fingers
25/08/2021 08:22:42

Nigel, thanks for the information.

Both my sister and mother had carpal tunnel operations. My mother had hers in her 80s and refused a second operation on her other hand while my sister got the problem after the birth of her second child. I believe it is genetic and can be brought on by pregnancy (not in my case).

I wish you every success the trapeziectomy.

JA

24/08/2021 11:35:01

The carpal tunnel problem in my right hand which I have had for years is worsening and I have been refered for an operation. Essentially the noise from the trapped nerve destroys the sense of touch in the first two fingers and thumb. The short term steriod inject was just very painful. I am now dropping things like china plates. As for working in the workshop lots of valueless items are allowed to remain on the floor until they are swept up.

I like the above analysis. Painkillers do nothing to cure the problems. I avoid them. Friends have had acupuncture with success and I am sure good palliativesexist in nature. I know all about free radicals, general they are found in junk articles selling pills etc and in flames. If you really want free radicals buy a box of matches.

JA

Thread: Midlands Exhibition
24/08/2021 09:02:48

There is another side of this, that is people do want to show their work. This was probably the reason for early shows. Because of this shows will continue, albeit down sized and without traders.

I hope so, anyway.

JA

Thread: German model engineering shows
22/08/2021 12:54:12

Jason

Many thanks.

Their monthly calander has moved to the right side of the home page.

I have just found that my passport expired at the start of the year.

JA

Edited By JA on 22/08/2021 12:54:47

21/08/2021 12:36:03

About ten years ago there were a number of big, very big, model engineering shows in Germany.

Given the state of shows in the UK, have these also died or become dormant? Are any going ahead this winter and are they worth going to?

JA

Thread: Converting fractions to decimals
17/08/2021 19:50:13

Perhaps we could have a fractional micrometer?

The slide rule has yet to be put away but I am redrawing the model (to metric) using my own spread sheet.

JA

16/08/2021 12:41:38

I have just started on this task in the last few days. Using a calculator it was becoming a pain. Then I found my old slide rule which is far quicker and gives good enough accuracy.

I will take a look at the Koken UK site.

JA

Thread: BR Leader class Steam engine
14/08/2021 08:24:24
Posted by noel shelley on 13/08/2021 22:53:22:

When napier were struggeling with the sabred and it's sleeve valves Bristol were ordered by the government to help napier to sort out the sabre. Without Bristols help it is open to debate whether Napier and the Sabre would have be a success ! Noel.

Bristol's work on the sleeve valve was funded by the Air Ministry (the government anyway) who would have owned the rights, intellectual property etc, to Fedden's work. They had every right to pass the details on to other firms. As for the Sabre, it was quickly abandoned after the War until the Hercules and Centaurus.

Good things these steam engines!

JA

13/08/2021 14:11:15
Posted by Howard Lewis on 13/08/2021 13:31:41:

Bristol Aeroplane Co were the only company to make sleeve valve engines a success.

Howard

Having been a Bristol engineer I would love to agree with you but the Napier Sabre, once it’s problems were overcome (and there were many) could be considered a success. Far too few RR Eagles were made to pass comment on that engine.

JA

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Warco
walker midge
cowells
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest