By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JA

Here is a list of all the postings JA has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Soluble suds disposal
24/01/2021 14:49:42

Take it to your local council re-cycling centre, perhaps a gallon at a time. Tell them what it is. Either they will tell you to go away with the stuff or they will accept it. It does no harm to try.

I took an unopenned 5L container of 15 year old Dromus cutting fluid to the local centre before Christmas. It was accept without question and put aside with all the other nasties. (I would not want to open a container of 15 year old Dromus).

JA

Edited By JA on 24/01/2021 14:50:49

Thread: Cowells 90 Lathe Manual
22/01/2021 11:44:04

I have sent you a PM.

JA

Thread: Workshop Electrics
17/01/2021 12:38:02

Is it true that machine toolsin industry will have to use 12v DC lighting?

My workshop electrics were installed by me 25 years ago and works quite satisfactorly. However I do get fed up with the slow noisy start up of the strip lights and I am very aware of the better light from modern LED strips. I use mains LED lighting on the lathe and will fit such lighting to the milling machine soon. The change to 12v DC for the machines appears to be a no-brainer.

Thanks for the information about non-maintained emergency lights. Two will be ordered this afternoon.

JA

Thread: I wonder what the Aviation Authority thinks of this :
17/01/2021 12:15:51

I doubt if the aviation authorities would be worried at present. I live under the southern flight path to the States and there is very little air traffic. It is almost as quiet as when the volcano erupted in Iceland.

JA

Thread: The romance of silver and gold
16/01/2021 13:14:56

Did they, the Incas and the Spanish, use silver and gold for soldering?

JA

Thread: Coronavirus death stats
16/01/2021 09:36:45
Posted by Raphael Golez on 15/01/2021 23:11:29:

Just finished another relentless week of fighting C-19. My ward has become a full C-19 ward. I handle 28 Covid -19 patients plus another 15 medical outliers. My ward had been full since mid December and the hospital is over flowing. My colleagues in the medical and healthcare profession are all exhausted and we also do get sick from COVID-19. All I can say is we are saving peoples lives as much as we can sadly the hard truth is we cannot save them all despite whatever we do. I don't hesitate to treat my patients and I face the enemy day in and day out and this is our reality. All I wish is this to be over soon as we are all exhausted. Be safe everyone.

Raphael

Edited By Raphael Golez on 15/01/2021 23:12:17

Edited By Raphael Golez on 15/01/2021 23:12:42

Raphael

Thanks for the posting. There is little more that I can really say but I wish you and your colleagues patience and success.

Hopefully all this will end.

JA

Thread: Recommended suppliers
12/01/2021 19:14:50

Nick

In normal times I believe a supplier has 28 days to fulfill an order.

I ordered two castings from Stuarts a few months ago and they took a long time to arrive. I still consider them good suppliers. It is just the times we are living through.

JA

Like a lot of similar firms Stuarts may be very busy at present. Some firms are doing well supplying anything (craft, models, motorcycle restoration parts, etc) that will keep people occupied.

Edited By JA on 12/01/2021 19:22:18

Edited By JA on 12/01/2021 19:23:33

Thread: Nitrogen as an Energy Store ...
12/01/2021 14:51:19

MichaelG

Apologies.

JA

12/01/2021 11:42:31

It should be very easy to get FREE energy from liquid Nitrogen!

Air is liquified to get the valuable gases, Oxygen and Argon. Liquid Nitrogen is really a waste product. Get those who want Oxygen and Argon (welders, hospitals, steel makers, etc) to pay for the distillation process. So you then have free liquid Nitrogen. All you then need is a heat engine, of some form, that uses the atmosphere as the heat source and the liquid Nitrogen as the cold sink.

It is just a question of money, not physics.

I think the idea that started this thread (and the similar one a few months ago) considered Nitrogen as a compressed gas, not a liquid.

JA

Thread: The Repair Shop is getting to me...
10/01/2021 12:07:22

I am unlike to watch The Repair Shop. I prefer to watch the farming programmes about which I know nothing!

I did watch James May's The Reassembler a few years ago and there were some good useful bits. He used an old GPO tool to hold screws when assembling a 1950s telephone. I went away and bought one from RS. If you are going to make small models a slotted screw starter is a very useful tool. I only knew of its existance from watching the programmes. Thanks James.

JA

Edited By JA on 10/01/2021 12:08:41

Thread: Oil Blackening and other Oil Issues
09/01/2021 12:25:35

I have successfully oil blacked small steel screws and nuts down to the size of 10BA. Just heat to red heat and drop into clean ISO32 oil. After you have blacked them just keep the parts oiled. There is no magic, such as very old black horrible oil, in the process. The black is an iron oxide and carbon. If thick enough it would called mill scale.

Blacked small steel fixings

JA

The iron oxide is porous and holds the oil and carbon from the quench.

Edited By JA on 09/01/2021 12:29:20

Thread: ME magazine late again
07/01/2021 14:00:35

ME 4655 arrived this lunch time.

JA

Thread: Another Telephone / Computer scam?
07/01/2021 11:34:44

A little warning.

Like everyone else I get a scamming call on my mobile three or times a week. A few days ago I was very rude, far worse than swearing, to the lady of the phone. My scamming calls have suddenly increased to about six a day and they start in the early morning. They come from a number of different locations.

The mobile phone will be used for texting only (it is the way my doctor's surgery contacts me).

JA

Edited By JA on 07/01/2021 11:36:26

Thread: Holding drills in ER collets
06/01/2021 17:09:20

To all, many thanks for the replies.

I can see the Jacobs chuck being relegated to the lathe.

JA

Edited By JA on 06/01/2021 17:09:44

06/01/2021 14:36:47

Towards the end of today's meet-up a number of members said they used their milling machines for general drilling. Some went on to say they would consider buying a drill press because of the bother of drawing bars and changing tool holders on the milling machine.

Although it is a fiddle to change holders on my machine (it does not use a simple draw bar) I rather like using it for drilling. I treat every drilled hole as a jig boring exercise.

Since I now have a range of ER25 collets from 1mm to 16mm in 1mm steps, bought for the lathe, I could use one with the milling machine's ER25 tool holder to hold a drill instead of a Jacobs chuck. I would save time and a bit of hassle. What is wrong with this?

JA

Thread: Virtual Meet Ups
06/01/2021 14:17:03

MIke and Bazyle, many thanks.

An interesting talk and a great post talk discussion.

Before the talk it was mentioned that someone from Filton/Bradley Stoke could be joining the meet-up. Did he?

JA

Thread: Odd thread
05/01/2021 11:42:15

A microscope thread? They were Whitworth form, used in brass and quite fine. I have cut a few, internal and external, on a lathe.

JA

Thread: ME magazine late again
04/01/2021 13:54:50

It is not the only magazine I am expecting that has not arrived.

I suspect that locally we no longer have a daily postal delivery. Should this surprise anyone?

JA

Thread: 2021
01/01/2021 11:24:47

Happy New Year to all.

May this one be better than the last.

JA

Thread: A white xmas
29/12/2020 17:18:20
Posted by Frances IoM on 29/12/2020 16:37:29:

But the real stuff is currently out of bounds

hrtz2013.jpg

Harz Mountains, I think. I went there within three weeks of re-unification. I was told about the railway by a friend who had frequently rode on it and worked for British Aerospace!

JA

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Warco
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest