By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Jupp

Here is a list of all the postings David Jupp has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Learning CAD with Alibre Atom3D
22/01/2019 07:43:28

Nige - yet another way to tackle.

By default the extrude direction is normal to the starting plane, but it does not have to be. Here I have unchecked the 'Along Normal' box, this makes the field below available for specifying direction of extrusion. In this case I chose an edge of the existing geometry.

extrude direction 1.jpg

Here is the result

extrude direction 2.jpg

21/01/2019 19:03:19

Nige, if you already have the 2D drawing open and have saved changes in the corresponding 3D part, you can force a 're-project views' in the drawing - just a little quicker than closing and re-opening (when you'll be prompted to re-project views anyway.

21/01/2019 16:23:05

John - you seem to be confusing Sketches with 2D Drawings - they are not the same thing. Please don't delete dimensions from sketches, that makes the size no longer fixed and can lead to problems.

If you followed tutorial 3, fig 27 onwards deals with creating 2D drawings from your parts (these 2D files can be exported to DXF or DWG).

Edited By David Jupp on 21/01/2019 16:24:34

Edited By David Jupp on 21/01/2019 16:29:09

21/01/2019 15:48:20

Nige - to expand a bit...

In the Design Explorer (on the left), find the sketch that defines the hole you wish to move, right click on the sketch name and choose Edit. This should re-open the sketch in editing mode. You can double click on any dimension to re-open it and modify.

You can also get into sketch edit mode by double clicking on the face that the sketch defines - though it isn't always obvious if you are on the 'correct side' of part for this to work.

As Tim mentioned, remember to generate to last feature (the button, drag the 'dog bone' down the design explorer, or press F5) after exiting sketch mode.

This is one of the biggest benefits of such a system - corrections or design changes are very simple to perform.

Edited By David Jupp on 21/01/2019 15:49:14

21/01/2019 07:27:51

Tool - in Alibre a sketch is used as the beginning of making a 3D part. The 2D sketch on it's own in a part workspace won't print because it has no volume. You have to turn it into 3D by extruding (for example).

You can actually print a 2D item -n but only if you create it in the 2D drawing workspace, and use 'sketch on sheet'.

Alibre is a Solid Modelling program, it is optimised for producing drawings from those models, it isn't really intended as a standalone 2D drawing tool.

Thread: Alibre Atom assy problem
20/01/2019 15:43:29

Have just experimented and got a slightly different result ! Sphere 'on axis' , but fixed some way from the plate

Conclusion - use the reference geometry of the sphere for reliable constraining.

20/01/2019 13:52:34

I had a play with this, got a slightly surprising result. In the image, there is only a single Align constraint between surface of sphere and cylindrical surface of hole.

sphere in plate.jpg

I wasn't surprised that the centre of sphere is lined up with hole axis, BUT I didn't expect it to be fixed at mid-thickness in the plate. I can 'tumble' the sphere about its centre, but can't drag it away from location.

Edited By David Jupp on 20/01/2019 13:53:14

20/01/2019 13:20:00

Right click on sphere -> show reference geometry. You can then see the planes/axes that the sphere was built on - use these with the constraint tool to place the sphere relative to the plate.

Size of sphere won't matter to the software, even if it can't be done in real life.

You should be able to align the cylindrical surface of hole, with an axis of the sphere (handy of hole isn't placed to coincide with an existing axis in the plate).

Edited By David Jupp on 20/01/2019 13:36:00

19/01/2019 08:08:22

Garry - for the radius on the 2D drawing

• Make sure that circular dimensions are set to 'Smart' as in Fig 33C.
  • If still not right, hold down the Shift Key whilst first applying the dimension to the feature to force Radial mode.
18/01/2019 18:40:38

Or edit the existing sketch...

Jason is correct. For revolutions, the profile sketch can touch, but must not cross the axis of revolution.

Thread: SENSITIVE DRILLING
18/01/2019 12:52:50

Or read the 'How it Works' description in the 'More' tab on the  Arc web site

Edited By David Jupp on 18/01/2019 12:54:14

17/01/2019 14:23:43

Garry - sound like you have snaps turned on, that'll force points to grid intervals.

atomgrid.jpg

Make sure that snap to grid is unchecked.

17/01/2019 12:59:40

John - this article deals with that problem.

17/01/2019 09:21:02

Garry - further to Jason's comments, here is a video that covers rectangle sketching. It is a bit outdated, and was produced using an older version of Alibre Design, so it does cover more than the 2 corner rectangle available in Atom3D.

If you still can't get the tool to work, get back to us - there may be other things to try depending upon precise symptoms.

17/01/2019 07:27:25

Garry - what do you mean by 'rectangle feature won't work'?

Is the rectangle tool visible in the Ribbon? If so, can you activate it? A bit more detail will help to understand what has happened.

13/01/2019 08:52:03

Tim - the feature pattern tool should be able to cope with multiple features in a single pattern.

Thread: VFD recommendations
12/01/2019 08:37:37

Having worked with a few VFDs in my professional life, I'm aware how much easier things are to set up, and to diagnose, if you have the option of connecting a PC with manufacturers software to the unit. The software is usually free, but a special lead or adaptor may be required - it seems to be the more 'mainstream' manufacturers that provide software for easier configuration and diagnostics. Some manufacturers offer wireless connection to your smartphone for set-up/diagnostics.

Safe Torque Off (STO) is a safety feature worth considering.

12/01/2019 08:25:13
Posted by eddie dicker on 11/01/2019 21:01:44:

Has anyone had issues with the top menus disappearing when saving?

I bought a new graphics card (its a Nvidia gigabyte 1030) as my old one wouldn't run the software at all.

I looked the issue up on line and it said the graphics drivers can be an issue; so I downloaded the latest from Nvidia and thought all was good.

But I just saved that latest bit of the magazine model and its done it again?

Eddie - if the Ribbon gets replaced by a Red X - this is a known issue caused by a Windows update - see this article for explanation and a way to resolve it.

11/01/2019 14:15:37

For bevel gears take a look at this this thread on the Alibre user forum. I think the part file in post #11 is the easiest to download and play with, but you'll probably need to read earlier posts to understand how to use it.

I should mention that I am not skilled in the fine detail of such gears, so I can't vouch for the equations used etc. The basic approach to the modelling should give some ideas.

I have checked that the template does indeed work with the current Atom3D - just open the equation editor and change the Z values, then wait for the model to update.

EDIT - later in that thread is a version for producing skewed bevel gears.

Edited By David Jupp on 11/01/2019 14:35:42

11/01/2019 08:10:16

Tim, what I assume to be the first plane in your description can perhaps be created more easily - see image.

cone plane.jpg

Apologies in advance if I mis-interpreted your method.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest