By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Jupp

Here is a list of all the postings David Jupp has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Learning CAD with Alibre Atom3D
29/01/2019 15:03:39

Nick - the PDF option in Atom can be set to use any 'virtual PDF printer' that you have installed. These do vary in quality/compatibility.

Like Jason I don't use the Publish option for 2D drawings, mainly because it introduces a slight scaling of the page to make room for header and footer at top and bottom of page - so your drawing won't truly be to scale.

The Publish option expects to find PDFill installed, so might complain if it isn't. If you chose to install PDFill (it is free), take care to avoid accepting any of the 'bonuses' that the installer might add to your computer.

In summary - simplest to just Print, and choose your PDF printer, most will work. If you find issues with (most likely) text on drawings, try a different PDF printer.

Edited By David Jupp on 29/01/2019 15:03:59

29/01/2019 13:11:37

Fire away Nick. You might want to take a quick skim through the whole thread first, in case your question has already been answered.

27/01/2019 10:09:04

Roger - re-setting user profile will put things like grid and snap settings back to default values.

27/01/2019 10:07:38

Roger, check to make sure that snap to grid is not enabled - snap will force things to grid intersections.

atomgrid.jpg

25/01/2019 19:29:35

Posted by Martin Len on 25/01/2019 17:16:20:

High David

Yes sketch 1 appears in the design explorer but there is nothing to see in the work space just the green grid where it usually sits.

I right clicked on sketch 1 and selected the edit option, it was then visible.

As for the user profile reset option could you explain where I might find this ,I have searched every I possible could but no luck. It is possible I might have to do it in the future knowing my history with computers.

Cheers

Sounds like it is working as it should - full detail of sketches are visible when in edit mode - a basic outline will show up outside edit mode if you have sketch visibility toggled on.

User Profile - The 'Home Window' (which displays after the initial 'splash screen' when you launch Atom3D) has Home, Explore and Utilities tabs. Click to select the Utilities tab, in the middle column (miscellaneous) there is a link 'reset user profile'.

24/01/2019 19:07:01

Martin, are you saying that no sketch appears in the Design Explorer (left side of screen), when you exit sketch mode ? Does re-starting computer make any difference?

Maybe try re-setting user profile as mentioned a few posts previously...

24/01/2019 10:40:02

John - if constraint tool is not showing at all, try re-setting your user profile. There is a link to do this on the Utilities tab of the Atom3D 'Home Window'.

After resetting profile, re-launch Atom.

If you still can't make the green plane show up with the 'show reference geometry' command, can you see the grey planes of the assembly workspace? If not - try 'toggle references' button (viewing and analysis tab of ribbon).

23/01/2019 19:06:45

Mick - looks like you have placed a reference line in your sketch an used that as the axis for the helix. Click in the axis field in the helical cut dialogue, then click on the cylindrical face of the part (or the Z axis), so it is selected.

The helix path preview is in empty space, you can't perform a CUT in empty space, it has to cut from an existing solid - this where both orientation (axis), and direction (reverse or not) play a part.

If you are still struggling, e-mail me and we can have an on-line screen sharing session. Make sure to save your file - don't delete it, it will be fixable.

Thread: Alibre Atom assy problem
23/01/2019 11:57:12

Yes - and you could extend that idea to use an arc in a sketch in the plate part, to position a 3D reference point, which could then be picked up in the assembly to position the sphere. That way you wouldn't even need the cut on the edge of the hole.

There's usually several ways to tackle the problem.

23/01/2019 10:46:11

I typically resort to creating a cross section view (so I can see what is going on), then adjust a constraint by eye to fix sphere distance from plate. Low tech, but usually adequate.

23/01/2019 10:29:27

Yes - should work if sphere size allows it to sit on the chamfered face. If the ball is larger, the tangency condition moves beyond the chamfer, and sphere will have to 'hover above' to fulfil it.

Of course the chamfer angle could be changed to suit, but it all gets a bit involved...

23/01/2019 09:26:18

Thinking about it - a 45 degree chamfer on a particular hole size will only work with specific ball size range. Smaller ball will sit on inner edge of chamfer, larger ball will sit on outer edge.

Unfortunately there isn't a constraint type that works universally here.

23/01/2019 08:51:37

Jason - standard (traditional) constraint tool is not available in Atom (except perhaps when editing existing constraints). So if this approach is possible in Atom, it'll require even more steps to achieve.

Thread: Learning CAD with Alibre Atom3D
22/01/2019 19:15:10

Typically if OK isn't available, there is either a piece of data missing, or something incompatible has been entered. Not really obvious from the image what the issue might be - is Face 2 the cylindrical surface of the solid? Maybe try using Z-axis instead to define the axis for the helical.

If helix preview is appearing to the right, that is the wrong way - try checking the 'reverse' box.

22/01/2019 16:58:41

Make sure to right click whilst cursor is touching the line, not the nodes at either end of the line, nor slightly away form the line (either will give a different right mouse context menu).

It might help to zoom in closer using your mouse wheel.

Edited By David Jupp on 22/01/2019 16:59:04

22/01/2019 08:58:08

Jason - that is all down to design intent and what the user is trying to achieve. The differing approaches do give different results, as you have shown.

There are usually several ways that a particular task can be approached. Ability to change the extrude direction might be useful in some circumstances, but not in others.

22/01/2019 07:43:28

Nige - yet another way to tackle.

By default the extrude direction is normal to the starting plane, but it does not have to be. Here I have unchecked the 'Along Normal' box, this makes the field below available for specifying direction of extrusion. In this case I chose an edge of the existing geometry.

extrude direction 1.jpg

Here is the result

extrude direction 2.jpg

21/01/2019 19:03:19

Nige, if you already have the 2D drawing open and have saved changes in the corresponding 3D part, you can force a 're-project views' in the drawing - just a little quicker than closing and re-opening (when you'll be prompted to re-project views anyway.

21/01/2019 16:23:05

John - you seem to be confusing Sketches with 2D Drawings - they are not the same thing. Please don't delete dimensions from sketches, that makes the size no longer fixed and can lead to problems.

If you followed tutorial 3, fig 27 onwards deals with creating 2D drawings from your parts (these 2D files can be exported to DXF or DWG).

Edited By David Jupp on 21/01/2019 16:24:34

Edited By David Jupp on 21/01/2019 16:29:09

21/01/2019 15:48:20

Nige - to expand a bit...

In the Design Explorer (on the left), find the sketch that defines the hole you wish to move, right click on the sketch name and choose Edit. This should re-open the sketch in editing mode. You can double click on any dimension to re-open it and modify.

You can also get into sketch edit mode by double clicking on the face that the sketch defines - though it isn't always obvious if you are on the 'correct side' of part for this to work.

As Tim mentioned, remember to generate to last feature (the button, drag the 'dog bone' down the design explorer, or press F5) after exiting sketch mode.

This is one of the biggest benefits of such a system - corrections or design changes are very simple to perform.

Edited By David Jupp on 21/01/2019 15:49:14

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest