By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Jupp

Here is a list of all the postings David Jupp has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Is CAD for Me?
07/06/2019 13:28:34

Nigel - if when taking the Alibre trial something got mis-typed, that could explain why I can't find you (this is in the master licensing system where everything ends up, regardless of where it originated).

If you should change your mind and want to have another go - PM me your trial code (if you took the extended trial), or the e-mail address that you used when activating the trial.

07/06/2019 11:43:46

Nigel - the PDF exercises for Alibre products are on the Alibre web site (Help & Learning area).

For Alibre Design

For Alibre Atom3D

I'm not able to find any record of a trial for you in the licensing system (searching by Nigel, or by Graham) - so am not able to renew or extend trial (PM me some details if you'd like me to search again).

05/06/2019 14:12:22

Nigel,

If the Mintronics web site doesn't display correctly for you, consider trying a different web browser.

As an alternative, I will happily provide e-mail address & phone number for Mintronics by PM if you wish - or get these from the Mintronics ad in the paper MEW.

05/06/2019 06:23:16

Nigel - your idea of how 3D CAD works seems to be driven by TurboCAD as far as I can tell. That is rather atypical when compared to many of the packages others have mentioned. I won't criticise TC as I know some people get on really well with it - a few other less well known packages have similarities with it

In most 3D CAD packages your bush could be produced from 2 concentric circles (or even 1) and an extrusion length. That's it, model done.

04/06/2019 15:51:47

That damned winky again ! Only noticed now it's too late to edit.

Edited By JasonB on 04/06/2019 16:08:35

04/06/2019 14:59:26

Quoting from Nigel above...

You can still assess fits etc. in orthographic drawings. It's correct shapes and dimensions that matter, not views!

You can - but not in a single click with clashes higlighted automatically. It's also easy in 3D to check for interference in multiple positions of a mechanism.

Converting a 3D model to the necessary 2D workshop drawings means advanced knowledge of your particular brand of software.

In most 3D CAD, to get from 3D model to 2D drawings takes just a few mouse clicks (hardly 'advanced'. Making sure all dimensions are arranged nicely and to preferred format can take much longer, I agree.

You can't though, work backwards, turning a multi-part orthographic drawing into an isometric assembly. CAD is not designed that way.

You can! It isn't preferred, nor best practice, but it's perfectly possible (except that assemblies are not isometric - views can be isometric). I will sometimes use this approach if someone has already created 2D CAD drawings, but a 3D model is needed for other purposes (though it can be faster in some cases to start again from scratch).

Don't worry Nigel - I know you won't be persuaded. There's nothing wrong at all with sticking to 2D should you prefer that.

The odd thing is that most 3D CAD modelling starts with 2D sketches anyway.

Edited By JasonB on 04/06/2019 16:08:13

04/06/2019 10:53:51

For an introduction to 3D CAD concepts, try MEW 217 as a starter.

Yes you can learn!

Being very familiar with 2D CAD can be as much of a barrier as a help when starting to use 3D CAD. The order of doing things is very different.

Edited By JasonB on 04/06/2019 16:06:11

Edited By JasonB on 04/06/2019 16:06:20

Thread: Hostaform, Nylon or Steel For Mini Mill Gear?
28/05/2019 19:44:46

Delrin & Hostaform are brand names for FAMILIES of resin. Within each there may be many different grades with tailored properties.

The article compares homopolymer actetal, vs copolymer acetal (without details of composition) vs Nylon 6. Plastics rapidly become fiendishly complex, even within a family. Don't expect a simple answer.

28/05/2019 19:05:49

This article might be a useful starter.

Thread: Denford Triac - Remove Easy Change Holder?
27/05/2019 17:21:41

This document from the Denford forum includes an illustrated parts list for Triac.

Thread: Alibre Atom 3D pdf manual free to MEW readers
24/05/2019 14:48:05

The offer of the PDF version at no charge was only sent to those in UK who had registered the MEW 6 month extended trial of Atom3D (which should have limited it to those who had purchased the magazines).

If you didn't receive and believe you should have, I suggest that you take that up with Mintronics.

Edited By David Jupp on 24/05/2019 15:04:50

24/05/2019 13:32:35

Sometimes browsers can chop off the file extension (or even change it) on download.

Are you sure that file extension isn't just hidden (this is default in Win10) ?

Do you have something installed that can read PDF files? Win10 by default will try to use Microsoft Reader or Edge. What software is set to be default for PDF files? Maybe install the free Adobe Reader.

Thread: Learning CAD with Alibre Atom3D
11/05/2019 07:38:47

Off-line activation (without direct internet connection) is only available for Alibre Design, not for Atom3D - there is also an additional charge for enabling off-line activation.

The internet connection is only required for activation of Atom3D, then approximately once a month for licence verification - it is not necessary in routine use.

Some users provide a temporary internet connection (for example by mobile phone) to a PC that otherwise doesn't have a connection, just to allow activation and licence verification.

Licensing policy is set centrally by Alibre, LLC.

I'm sure you will find Gordon at BayCAD helpful - any feedback or special requests regarding licensing should be made via your reseller.

Thread: Threading 1/8 stainless steel
01/05/2019 15:44:05

1/8" (3.175mm) is at the maximum of major diameter for a 5BA male thread, according to BS93. That is before any oversize tolerance of the rod, or any extrusion of metal when cutting the thread (which is quite likely with tough materials).

I can see why Simon mentioned turning down the diameter as a first step.

09/04/2019 16:45:24

Colin,

A couple of answers - you may well be contacted by Alibre or your local reseller as you near the end of the extended trial. If for any reason that doesn't happen, you'll actually get a message on screen at end of trial reminding you contact them. Obviously this is in the hope that you'll wish to purchase a licence to continue using the software.

Should you not wish to purchase a licence, or if you simply aren't ready to do so yet - please read on. I had previously reported that at end of trial period, the software will revert to 'viewer mode'. Due to some alterations in how the extended trial is managed at the licensing server, the behaviour has changed slightly. It is possible to access 'viewer mode' after the trial expires, but that does now require a small effort. This new article on the Alibre web site explains how to remove the extended trial licence and access viewer mode.

28/03/2019 14:47:38

John - once you have decided upon your preferred dimension styles, consider making your own custom template for 2D drawings. 2D drawing properties (including available dimension styles) are inherited from the template used, the supplied templates are read only to prevent overwriting, but you can make your own custom templates. See this video for a quick overview, or this article for more details. Both were created for Alibre Design, but the basics are the same for Atom3D.

Edited By David Jupp on 28/03/2019 14:54:31

Thread: Motor control circuit
28/03/2019 10:33:09

The VFD can provide many of the functions of a contactor (overload and no-volt release) if configured appropriately - note it is possible to configure in ways that would not provide these expected protections.

Does your VFD include STO functionality? If it does (and if the STO circuit is wired correctly) that may well satisfy even requirements for safe working on the machine.

Provision of a manual isolator switch, or removable plug for the supply to VFD would be sensible.

21/03/2019 06:06:10

Neil - that is an old collection of 'dumb solid' models (most on-line catalogues offer dumb solids). You can apply additional features on top of the imported file - so adding keyways, cutting thinner, extruding thicker (use project to sketch for the outline) are all possible. Alibre Design Expert does have 'direct editing' tools - they largely make things easier / quicker, you can make most changes in Atom3D with a bit more work.

I like the Alibre part library if I'm in a hurry, as there aren't hundreds of categories to search through.

Thread: Conundrum for the collective!
20/03/2019 19:28:55

Is DIN 225 coupling even a real thing? Could it be DN (Nominal Diameter) ? That designation is widely used in piping (which as we've seen uses flanges).

These days most standards are harmonised across Europe - so what is BS EN ISO xxxx in UK is DIN EN ISO xxxx in Germany. Relatively few purely National standards are left - though there are some.

I did a quick search on the BSOL site under Marine Drive - 50 pages of results.... , tried Marine Flange - just piping. Any more suggestions for what they might be called ? Is this main propulsion, or something else?

Can you tell us the manufacturer, or are you trying to make the quiz especially difficult?

Marine stuff could even have a specific Lloyds Register classification...

20/03/2019 14:06:47

What is the gearbox for? A lot of standard are industry specific. For example DIN(also BS) EN ISO 9409 is from the Robotics/Automation industry - but it doesn't match your dimensions.

Much easier to search for standards if you have some idea of the title, or at least a few words.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Warco
Ausee.com.au
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest