By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Jupp

Here is a list of all the postings David Jupp has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Telephone Ringback Code?
27/06/2022 13:08:00

My guess would be that the ring signal wire isn't being powered - usually handled by the master socket. Sounds like one of the phones has a built in ringer capacitor (so will ring), and the others don't.

That doesn't explain what has gone wrong with the wiring. Could the ringer wire (usually orange/white) have been disturbed when making connection to the router? Phone extension cable is typically solid core - quite easy to damage, and the IDC connectors often used aren't always the most reliable.

EDIT - just looked back, you say your 'master' socket wasn't master by function - so I wonder how the ring wire was powered previously? 

Edited By David Jupp on 27/06/2022 13:16:21

Thread: Free Fusion360 subs ended
25/06/2022 11:28:19

Don't you just renew your F360 hobbyist subscription??

Thread: There are locomotives.... and there are locomotives.
23/06/2022 09:25:01

Yeah - or the lack of clips on some of the hose attachments. I think I spotted 2MPa on the hose (20bar) - which would have been its rating before it perished.

23/06/2022 07:50:37

Nigel, 3000 psi sounds reasonable for an air bottle, 207 bar. Some diving air bottles are rated for 300 bar.

Thread: Centaur Valve Timing
15/06/2022 14:45:19

Deleted as not relevant

Edited By David Jupp on 15/06/2022 14:46:11

Edited By David Jupp on 15/06/2022 14:46:32

Thread: Out of Curiosity - TurboCAD Advert Screen-shot
15/06/2022 13:19:51

Those codes are almost certainly independent of interface language, and hence potentially useful if quoted to support (the codes remain the same, even if operating language and descriptions change from English to German, French etc.)

The image appears to be showing the improved keyboard report function (searchable summary of shortcuts and functions) - there is a specific video showing this on the Turbocad UK site - even the column headings are visible.

Thread: CAD - Accessories Worth Having?
13/06/2022 16:24:46

I've used (and still use to some extent) what they now call the spacemouse compact - I do find it useful, but often forget it is there and do stuff with the mouse.

There are specific occasions where it can be very helpful - selecting something where very fine control of workspace rotation is needed to get line of sight to the item to be selected.

I haven't tried the ones with extra buttons, so can't comment on what extra utility they might offer.

A lot of the time my thought processes, rather than the input devices limit my rate of progress.

Thread: Telephone Ringback Code?
13/06/2022 10:22:56

This web site may give some answers

**LINK**

also an ofcom page about the subject

Thread: Measure twice Cut once
09/06/2022 10:17:45

Ian - the 'deleted' post was most likely result of the server migration that happened yesterday. There was a thread warning about it and that posts made after 0100 hrs could be lost.

Thread: FORUM DOWNTIME AND RESULTING ISSUES REPORTING
08/06/2022 18:34:06

Login is still VERY slow, to extent that I thought the site had frozen....

08/06/2022 17:21:10

There was an issue with https etc earlier today, the site then went down again (presumably whilst it was fixed).

Site seems more responsive then before, though my login just now was extraordinarily slow...(hopefully a one off).

Thread: Converting inch to mm in dxf and dwg files
07/06/2022 17:13:44

The 'how to' descriptions above are somewhat contradictory, not surprising as all CAD systems have their own foibles. For information the way the 'conversion' was done (in Alibre Design) was as follows.

• Open the file (it came is as inches) - check an obvious length using dimension tool
  • Switch display units to mm (no scaling, no change of size)
  • Delete dimensions, notes, and other extraneous items to leave a clean outline for cutting
  • Use Analyse Tool on the drawing - to find problems
  • Heal the multiple small gaps between figures
  • Delete overlapping (duplicated) figures
  • Export as DXF (2007 in this case as some CNC software may prefer older DXF versions) using a name to differentiate from the initial file.
  • Re-import the exported DXF (as a check) - it came in as mm, and the size was correct.
07/06/2022 09:58:49

In the cad system that I'm familiar with, I would import the DXF (as inches), then switch display units to mm, before re-exporting to DXF.

I'd do ONE first to check that the laser cutter can open the file and that it is correctly sized. Some systems might only accept older DXF versions.

I'm surprised that the laser cutter can't do the conversion - either in CAD, or in the CNC control software.

Thread: New To CAD? No, but....
15/05/2022 09:48:14

Nigel,

In Jason's example the thread is to hole depth because that is what he specified. He could as easily have set the thread depth to be less than full hole depth. Depending upon how the thread is produced, the thread can extend full depth of the hole.

14/05/2022 08:04:07

Nigel,

2 concentric circles in the same sketch, extruded (boss) in Alibre (and many other systems) will also give a hollow tube - it is the enclosed area in the sketch that defines the solid or hole that is being created.

Heavily nested sketches can give some interesting results!

Thread: Barograph 'stiction'
12/05/2022 17:48:42

Gerry - I've heard of Vespel, but have zero experience of it.

I also seem to recall that PTFE gives lower friction if there is at least some moisture (humidity) around - strange given that it was allegedly developed for the space programme...

12/05/2022 14:47:21

I seem to recall from University materials classes that for PTFE friction increases when direction of movement changes, so it isn't as good as you'd expect in oscillating systems. If movement is always in same direction friction remains low - almost as if there is a 'nap' on the surface that has to brushed into place by initial movement.

Thread: New To CAD? No, but....
12/05/2022 08:46:44

Nigel,

Andrew's example is in Alibre Design Expert (big brother to Atom3D), I don't recognise the software that Nicholas was using. In Alibre there are 'Boss' (add) and 'Cut' versions of all major tools, other systems I've looked at are similar in that respect.

Two points -

1. yes there are differences between systems, even those that work in a broadly similar way. Generally the concepts will apply across many systems, but points of detail may require slight adjustments to the methods. Tools may have different names too.

2. there are generally many different approaches that can be used to model any particular part. There is no 'right', 'wrong', or 'best' approach - though some might have pitfalls.

11/05/2022 07:22:58

Nigel - be careful using STL files to transfer designs between systems.

STL is not a CAD format, but was developed for 3D printing. It represents the design as many triangular facets, so it ends up being 'not quite' what was originally modelled. Some precision will be lost, and many CAD systems can't usefully edit STL.

If available STEP (or STP) , IGES, or others should give more robust results.

07/05/2022 11:04:51

As mentioned in a previous thread on similar subject, it really does help with learning 3D CAD if you can get some personal tuition. It isn't always obvious which aspects of using CAD will cause the problems/frustrations - if in the same room as a tutor it's so much easier to ask a question, and it should be obvious to the tutor if anyone is struggling.

Videos can be good for learning specific operations, but can so easily gloss over or miss out the underlying basics - perhaps because it's 'obvious' to one who already knows. Videos are brilliant as a refresher for seldom used functions.

The major frustrations can be around finding how to access a particular function, or what input is expected, even what is the name of the function that I need, or how do I go back and edit the feature I just created (at the wrong size)... I also find routine Windows usage (not specific to CAD) can be as much of a block as the particular software.

As for time to learn, I used to run 2 day basic courses in Alibre Design. The course started with really simple stuff, it had a structure so that most of the main modules of the software were covered. Never more than 6 students in the class, so there was plenty of time to deal with questions. On a one to one basis, the material could probably be covered faster. The 2 day course aimed to get users from zero 3D experience to being comfortable working with the software. It gave students sufficient skills and knowledge to progress their own design work, it didn't by any means turn them into experts. An important point covered was how to get help in the future.

So if you are struggling to get started, I'd suggest try to get some time with somebody (patient) who is already familiar with the software you are trying to learn. Being in front of the same computer is best, but a web conference with screen share can work OK in shorter sessions.

These days most demos, or training on specific CAD functions that I do, use web conference (on cost and time grounds). A colleague (who does more design work than me) still runs the 2 day in-person courses - location and price are typically problematic for non-business users.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest