By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Jupp

Here is a list of all the postings David Jupp has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Taper-Lock Bushes - tolerances
29/12/2020 17:16:52

Those values given by Fenner contradict their own statement that the bushes work effectively on shaft with h9 tolerance. The tables I looked at show max size limit for h9 as dead 'on size' (+0 micron).

Thread: Parts Washer Pump
30/11/2020 16:14:38

If the solvent is flammable, special requirements are likely to apply to any electrical equipment (and even to mechanical moving parts).

Thread: Bearing identification
26/11/2020 11:27:14

99502H Sealed Deep Groove Ball Bearing with Special Bore 5/8"x35mmx11mm

1623-2RS Imperial Sealed Ball Bearing 15.88mm x 34.93mm x 11.11mm (5/8" x 1 3/8" x 7/16" )

So not quite identical sizes.

Edited By David Jupp on 26/11/2020 11:27:29

Thread: Learning CAD with Alibre Atom3D
09/11/2020 10:26:08
Posted by Mark Rand on 08/11/2020 22:37:11:

How much help is there on creating/editing a Post for your machine?

It ships with an extensive collection of post processors. If there isn't one provided to suit your machine, the manual has a couple of extensive sections describing the details of post processor.

MeshCAM's own web site says

If you find problems with the built-in post processors then email us, we’d be happy to see if you can make modification for you for free.

Thread: SDS. What is it?
07/11/2020 11:34:26

The SDS arrangement for attaching bits to the drill eliminates the heavy conventional chuck - so the hammer action isn't wasted trying to accelerate that additional chunk of metal. That should mean it transfers energy more efficiently into breaking concreate/masonry.

Also quicker to change bits.

Some SDS drills have a 'rotation stop' option - these can be used with chisel bits.

06/11/2020 17:09:14

Jason is correct, the CAM side of Workshop lacks advanced features. It is deliberately targeted at ease of use and a competitive price point. If you need 5 axis, thread milling, trochoidal toolpaths, etc. , then it's not for you. If your needs are straightforward 2.5D or 3D, it might be worth taking a look.

It also has options for cutting height maps based on images.

06/11/2020 16:19:06
Posted by Journeyman on 06/11/2020 16:02:14:

It's called Alibre Workshop and is priced at £390.00 (+VAT)

John

That's the UK package price (includes Atom3D and MeshCAM Pro). If you already have an Alibre CAD package, contact your reseller for pricing of the CAM as an add-on. Alibre can only sell the CAM either to existing Alibre software owners, or as a CAD/CAM package.

Thread: I'd like a simple plastic injection machine or designs
02/11/2020 14:14:20

There's a book available written by Vincent Gingery that might provide a useful starting point.

ISBN 978-1878087195

Thread: Changes to Fusion 360 Terms
24/10/2020 12:02:10

3D CAD is generally fairly demanding on the graphics hardware - don't expect really good performance from a basic integrated graphics system.

Display size (pixel count) can make a big difference too - more pixels to manage will demand more of graphics and processor.

Larger and more complex models make more demands on the hardware.

16/10/2020 18:41:24

You can 'sketch on sheet' in the 2D environment in Atom3D.

Note that it isn't really intended as a 2D drawing tool - it's intended that you design the 3D part then semi-automatically generate the 2D views. It therefore might be somewhat 'clunky' for this purpose.

16/10/2020 13:33:28

Colin,

OK - If it isn't too complex, it would be best practice to produce it again from scratch. Files that have 'funnies' rarely fix themselves, and can lead to other problems.

16/10/2020 10:36:43

Is it consistent with all new 3D files, or limited to specific file(s) ?

Have you moved, copied, re-named the file(s) outside of the software?

When you get the 'missing' message, click on the file name in the message - the 'Replace' button should then become active at the bottom of the dialogue. Click that and navigate to the file.

16/10/2020 10:09:45

Colin,

Is "filename" the name of the 2D drawing, or the name of the 3D part/assembly that it is a drawing of?

15/10/2020 21:52:48

Baz - you can download the installer from Alibre web site as Jason said.

Running it again will fix your issue - the missing cab file seems to happen when C++ has to be updated - it needs a re-boot that upsets the installer.

Thread: 1000 to make a Spitfire aircraft fuel tank gauge. Can it be done cheaper?
13/10/2020 10:07:08

Apart from the quality/certification costs mentioned above, there's also the simple fact that producing a one off or in very small numbers tends to result in very high unit cost.

12/10/2020 11:39:49

Apologies Colin, I just switched my system to Atom3D - and now shaded views are not available. Looks like it isn't supported by the Atom3D licence. There are too many differences for me to remember all of them.

You can still fudge this to some extent by creating a screenshot, then insert that image into your 2D drawing. It'll work best if you set colour scheme to 'Very Light Background' before taking th screenshot.

Sorry again for the confusion...

Thread: Alibre Pro / Expert and AlibreCam
12/10/2020 10:54:48

Joseph,

I should mention before I say anything else, that I do some customer support work for both Alibre, and their UK reseller - so I might be biased ! I also use Alibre Design Expert in my own consulting work.

Since the CAM systems come from the same provider and are based on the same technology, the major differences are likely to be in the CAD side.

Learning any 3D CAD system is not a trivial task - switching from one to another can also require a lot of re-learning, especially if the basic concepts are handled differently. I haven't used Rhino, so can't make any direct comparison.

Assuming that you are already familiar with Rhino, you would need to see some significant potential benefit to justify the effort of switching CAD systems.

In addition to getting input from other users, you might consider taking the free 30 day trial of Alibre Design Expert to get a feel for how different or simlar it is. Also take a look at alibre.com/version22/ to see if any of the new capabilities about to be added would be of any benefit to you.

If you have specific questions, you can contact Alibre support, or check out the Alibre user forum. You can also PM me here.

Edited By David Jupp on 12/10/2020 10:55:25

12/10/2020 10:14:45

AlibreCAM and RhinoCAM are both provided by MecSoft and are based upon their VisualMill software. They are likely to be very similar - though it's possible that there might be some differences between the integrations. The videos at **LINK** largely relate to all the Mecsoft integrations, so should give some feel for both products. Presumably these won't differ enormously from what you are already used to with RhinoCAM.

I have used AlibreCAM a little in the past, but only to show potential users the basics, I haven't used it to produce anything.

The nice thing about an integrated, parametric system is that if you need to tweak a dimension - you can simply change it in CAD, then re-generate the tool paths without having to set up the CAM operations again. That can be very useful during prototype development.

Edited By David Jupp on 12/10/2020 10:33:48

12/10/2020 09:56:31

Colin,

Are you seeing this symptom with all models, or just some? Has it ever worked on this computer?

The HD 7770 should cope, if not spectacularly well (my laptop has a HD 7500 and is usable but slow).

You could try the 'reset user profile' link on the Utilities Tab of the Home Window - a damaged profile can cause a wide variety of display issues.

Also worth checking for Windows updates (particularly .NET related), and for more recent graphics drivers.

11/10/2020 18:53:07

If shaded views are not showing in 2D, you may have a very old graphics card, or 'Advanced 2D rendering' may have been disabled in System Options -> Display -> General.

Also check that the correct graphics adapter is selected in that screen, if your computer has more than one adapter.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest