By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nigel Graham 2

Here is a list of all the postings Nigel Graham 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Solid Edge - Community Edition
11/10/2021 18:15:14

Interesting review, Ian. Thank you.

It is good that Siemens have now recognised the private user, even if with an ulterior motive of making life simpler for students. It did publish a schools version (I was told by a teacher) with the idea of turning out young engineers already introduced to SW... and only SW, while pushing to be industry's leading CAD choice.

When I did my shopping around the Siemens SW/SE site implied the software was intended purely for commercial and academic customers - no mention of prices or amateur / student use.

'

Can ANother drawings be opened in Solid-xxxx, if necessary converted to a standard format in their parent programme?

I assume ANother is a leading make, not some obscure WWW freebie or heavily pruned schools version.

'

What training aids are available?

I can't learn from videos, and find YouTube an utter pain now anyway. One strength of buying TurboCAD as I did, was its accompanying CD training manual in pdf form.

'

I use TurboCAD 18 Pro but almost entirely in its orthogonal mode, rarely trying the far harder isometric option. Does SW allow that direct choice or is it like Fusion and Alibre, forcing isometric "modelling" automatically?

If I decided to switch I'd certainly consider TurboCAD's new version for continuity but would not close my mind to trying Solid Edge. Naturally this is provided both will work on WIN 7 Pro.

Had this happened before I retired I'd have had a works drawing-office full of SW users to pester for ..... Hellllp!

'

A point regarding Fusion 360 files. It may have been changed since but at the time I tried it, probably 3 or 4 years ago now, it did discreetly offer a local-storage option. I don 't know if it was secretly also storing them on-line anyway!

Thread: cutting spur gears on a mill
10/10/2021 00:01:52

Going back a bit nearer topic I am fairly sure the Myford manuals tell you the gear standards, so you don't need resort to measuring etc.

I must admit I have never thought the headstock gears and the change-wheels on my ML7 either "crude" or "square"; whatever those were meant to mean. If my screw-cutting comes out ragged, I blame the operator not the machine!

Or stray tardigrades....

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
08/10/2021 00:09:28

I finished fitting a screw-cutting gearbox to my Mydord ML7.

It's an early-pattern box with the fixed-centre drive-train (with the wheels reversible to give two feed ranges), and the cut leadscrew terminating within the box.

I had to buy the 25/12T tumbler-output pinion. For anything below I think 32tpi, it can be used with the 24T wheel already there, by remembering to set the controls for twice the tpi.

Rather than cut the existing leadscrew I bought a length of ACME rod from HPC (not cheap though!) and made the special new screw. I'd not bargained for a dedendum on the thread, giving a barber's-pole effect, shallow groove on the section within the gear-box, but I don't think it will hurt.

This pattern has its leadscrew pinion behind a small cover on the working end of the gearbox. I made the seating, keyway and key for the pinion longer, allowing disengaging it to use the leadscrew with the calibrated handwheel without dragging the works round with it.

One task remains. The last modification makes the pinion and leadscrew end vulnerable to eating swarf so I need make a local cover, perhaps fitting the bed gap. I may use the 3mm PVC sheet I found excellent for fabricating the lathe's complete splash-back / motor cover.

The original lead-screw, banjo etc will be carefully stored against any possible reversion... though enquiries on that might need be to my Executors!

Acknowledgements -

I thank others here for some helpful advice, though not covering the older type gearbox. However I was able to obtain a photocopy of the Myford manual for the gearbox from lathes.co, and this covers both patterns.

Thread: Hi from the sunny south coast of Dorset
07/10/2021 22:40:38

And there is an ME club in Weymouth!

Also , if you are nearer them, one in Bournemouth and I think another in Wimborne.

06/10/2021 23:30:42

Greetings John!

We look forwards to progress reports!

Certainly was sunny today - I quite enjoyed being playing grockle on this T-shirt weather afternoon by walking along the sea-front and harbour of my own town (Weymouth).

Before burrowing into the depths of my workshop to continue fitting a gearbox to my elderly Myford lathe.

Thread: Walker Midgley Prize Draw for Model Engineers
06/10/2021 23:25:52

And at least the advertisers on here are relevant to engineering!

We ought also remember that one or two regular advertisers also give us technical advice - it's in their interest as well as ours that we obtain the best results we can from using their products.

Thread: Old rule divisions twelfs etc
04/10/2021 14:16:37

Bazyle -

I remember that fim scene. The character (played by Albert Finney?) was operating a capstan-lathe and looking beyond the notion of dramatic licence, it's quite possible his real-life version would have had the lathe set up for him, and taken the setter sufficiently on trust not to need measure the piece-parts himself.

The inspector would have measured the first two or three off and maybe odd ones at intervals, and once happy, let the turner carry on until the long-awaited clocking-off time broke the monotony.

Automatic or semi-automatic lathes, controlled by cams profiled for the work, had been around though, and for decades before 1960. One photo I have seen appears to show the cams as strips screwed to a perforated drum on the outer end of the headstock, but I don't know how their motion was transmitted to the saddle, etc.

+++

As for losing sight of the inches as Howard warns, I manage to lose sight of whole inches, not just mere one-hundredths of them!

Thread: Another what is it?
04/10/2021 13:49:12

Similar instruments were also used for testing relay contact springs.

Thread: Suppliers/advertisers
30/09/2021 23:39:11

I must admit being plesantly surprised when a length of left-hand ACME bar arrived from HPC a few days before I was expecting it!

They'd none in stock so had warned me it may take a week or so - I was not in a tearing hurry so it would not have mattered.

30/09/2021 23:31:54

I am not quite clear where that 1/127 came in but I did have a steel rule that had one inch divided into 1/128.

Quite how the manufacturers thought anyone could read that, is anyone's guess!

More useful though not in the workshop, was an acrylic rule with one of those diagonal scales that allow measuring tiddly bits of inches without needing a microscope. I think I still have it, but have forgotten how they work, beyond using a similar-triangles principle, though was taught it at school.

Thread: TIG welded copper boilers
29/09/2021 21:45:24

Not SFED but MELG guidance, otherwise we'd run the risk of one Federation's boiler-admirers saying the opposite to another's.

However, since commercially-made copper boilers have been advertised in ME for quite some while now, and obviously made to the CE / new UK version rules, there should be no problem with any UK MES' boilder inspector accepting one of those.

It would be home-built boilers that might be awkward because a club boiler-inspector may understandably consider him or herself not sufficiently experienced in examining such construction, so decline to inspect it. Not necessarily anyhting wrong with the metalwork, just amateur boiler-inspectors recognising their own limitations.

It is an area that should be examined, not put aside as "not invented 'ere, Guv '! " .

'

Incidentally the original EU Directive that gave rise to all this hoo-ha, actually mentions only two materials, of unspecified grades, for any type or pressure-vessel: stainless-steel and aluminium! As far as safety goes it waffles on about qualified welders and the like but says of the design little more than that "it has in fact to be safe".

It did not say that anyone need complicate the paperwork as confusingly as we've only gone and done. The only physical things new compared to our hobby's former, simpler system are tighter rules on steel boilers, rules for the garden-gauge scales, more sensible test-pressure factors and test-intervals, and the WSE - notionally straightforward but buried in a right swarf-bucket of paperwork and handbook!

29/09/2021 21:22:35

90/127.... Screw-cutting today, then, Michael?

Thread: Scam? Definitely!
28/09/2021 23:03:12

Sorru about the strange layout fault. Thank you Moderator for mending it.

It appeared here as soon as I created the post, but in my case plastered across the new-message page instead of across others' posts.

Logging off and starting again did not clear it, but I assumed it was a purely local effect and the much longer and more complete break might clear it.

I have known odd effects before, like a complete font colour-change, but these not be seen on the readers' screens.

For the record, I use WIN 7 Pro and Firefox.

Ah, 30%. So I could buy only a third of the inserts and cutting-fluid.

28/09/2021 22:48:41

A useful scale for representing things made in feet and inches; and printing font "point" sizes are or were based on twelfths of inches.

My Denbigh H4 horizontal mill has 6tpi screws, corresponding neither to binary fractions nor regular 5s-based multiples of thousandths of inches, nor to millimetres; and I have wondered if the machine was originally to some special order, perhaps connected with the printing trade.

(1/6 " = 0.16666... " = 4.23333... mm)

Thread: Scam? Definitely!
28/09/2021 13:13:13

You thought "Thje Nigeran Scam" had had its day?

Oh no it hasn't! Shortened, annotated, links broken:

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 28/09/2021 19:03:41

Thread: Scam
28/09/2021 11:16:14

I see you one you mean. It is actually running alongside this very panel as I type!

The arrow is reciprocating across the [Get Instant Quote] button, above which is Using coupon code: MODELENG.

The word is quite clearly a telegrammatic code, and I don't see it as dishonest - though my own abbreviation usually omits the "EL".

What is not clear, is who is advertising, but it is RapidDirect and it does eem genuine. There are no obvious walls between the ads though, and this one shares the same white rectangle as a rather irritating, rapidly-circulating list of 4 or 5 other firms.

(I find that turnover annoying. I know it allows exposure to many suppliers in a compact space, but I would prefer a slower rate. The 15% OFF slogan bouncing about as it does, is worse.)

+++

I took a calculated risk, assuming this site's publishers do verify the probity of their advertisers, and pressed the Quote button. It opened the home-page for a sheet-metal fabricating and CAD/CAM company in China, and its web-site gives a full postal address. Obtaining an "Instant Quote" is not of course instant, but some steps beyond that. I did not explore the site further.

Its intended customers are probably mass-production trade customers supplying it with the appropriate drawing-files identifying the part, one hopes, only by a generic name like "Bracket" and opaque part-number! That it advertises on a site catering mainly for amateur engineers is rather suprising, but may reflect RapidDirect not really understanding that point.

They are not the only one. I have received many direct, unsolicited, e-post advertisements for various products or services. .Although I treat all as hazardous and some are very suspicious indeed, some may be from genuine entrepeneurs who don't really understand their foreign markets but cast their nets as widely as possible.

'

A point on the spelling (modeling / modelling):

The residents of many countries for whom English is their second language, tend to learn American, not English, and often affect a generic US accent in speech! That, I was told by an English, English-teacher working in Sweden, is the Hollywood effect: using sub-titled films and TV shows mainly from the USA, as informal exercises. And of course the American-run Internet. Just don't tell President Xi!

(I'm not sure what the locals made of sub-titled, British TV soap Brookside I once saw in a cafe in Norway.....)

Edited By Nigel Graham 2 on 28/09/2021 11:27:45

Thread: What do you think of this con
28/09/2021 10:48:08

All in all, a good reason not to fall for any of the supermarkets' tricks like "special offers" and "loyalty cards"! I am probably the sort their advertising-departments fear: more literate than them, and often spotting what they have not written behind the slogans.

Alcohol and tobacco prices don't worry me because I buy very few drinks and then very rarely, in any shops; and never buy tobacco.

Even so I do try to be the Emptor who Caveats. (You are right - I am less literate in Latin.) A lot of my food-shopping is anyway ad-hoc, from independents and the smaller franchise chains; and these don't usually use trickery.

Thread: Saving the Planet or is it ?
28/09/2021 10:32:58

The UK used to lead the world in developing practical nuclear-power generation, principally at UKAE Winfrith, in Dorset. However its main project was jointly with the French, who pulled out at some stage and for reasons I have never established, our government thought it impractial or uneconomic to continue alone.

So like so many other things developed in Britain, our governments of both parties threw it all away. Winfrith is now a trading-estate with the remaining two, big, experimental reactors in their own secure enclave, still being dismantled.

'

As for Chernobyl, Fukushima and Three Mile Island...

The opponents of nuclear power like to parrot those names to support their case, but that is rather like using the Tay Bridge disaster to ban major viaducts. Whilst the genuine problems of dealing with nuclear waste are undeniable and costly, I would not expect us to use those disasters in the "green" way in a forum dedicated to engineering.

The reasons for all those four failures are all known; hence teaching us what to avoid in future.

I don't personally know what happened at Chernobyl; but a major factor at Three-Mile Island was found to be adjacent control-panels mirror-imaged for aesthetics, disastrously confusing the operators suddenly working under considerable stress when something failed.

At Fukushima, the reactors were unharmed by the tsunami and would have been closed down to a safe state had the site's designers done something very simple: place the necessary emergency-generators well above possible tsunami and storm-surge reach. The wave swamped the low-lying emergency plant, stopping the reactor circulating-pumps and control systems after their normal mains supplies had been cut by the inundation. After all, as the very word tsunami shows, Japan is hardly a stranger to earthquakes and tsunamis.

What baffles me also is why Germany so feared the same type of disaster on the seismically-calm Baltic shores, that she used it to justify ending her own nuclear-power programme.

Tay Bridge? Design flaws, poor oversight of the design and building, and appalling workmanship in both parts-manufacture and erection, including not always meeting the designed specifications.

===

All engineering problems, needing engineers to solve... but sadly too often hampered by politicians, money-traders and others who barely know stress from strain. If that.

Thread: T'Internet - T'Wonders Of
27/09/2021 22:45:35

The other day my local paper carried some item about some school service or other, and instructed parents to use a certain web-site ... or for "parents unable to do that, download the form". Errr.....

'

Frances -

Won't a note posted in the "box marked specimums" end up in Post-Natal Care.?

Thread: TIG welded copper boilers
27/09/2021 22:33:38

Fizzy -

I believe the copper has to be a "de-oxidised" grade for welding, could you confirm / explain / correct. please?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
Warco
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest