By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nigel Graham 2

Here is a list of all the postings Nigel Graham 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Change gear alternative material
21/09/2020 00:44:34

Tufnol is the manufacturer!

The material itself come in two basic forms, one based on fabric, the other on paper, both bonded with synthetic resin. Within those two classes are a range by grade, each with its own name, according to intended forms of use.

I would recommend anyone planning to use any Tufnol type, to study Tufnol's literature and select accordingly!

This applies to any proprietory materials, so how come so many threads discussing them by manufacturers' names do not suggest the obvious - the makers' own catalogues?

Thread: HSS/Tungsten Tool Honing Machine
21/09/2020 00:29:34

I don't know the material of the slideway itself, but isn't the 'Peatol' lathe bed a hollow aluminium alloy extrusion filled with a special form of concrete?

This is not really any different from the system I have read a major German manufacturer using for building massive machining-centres, though their casings are welded steel fabrication.

I worked for several years for a leading maker of very high-precision screen-printing machines used in electronics-component manufacturing. These machines had, and their successor designs still have, fabricated steel frames bearing large aluminium-alloy plates machined to complicated shapes as the bases for the moving parts.

My role was materials store-keeper, when the company made a lot of the machine parts itself. Among the stock materials I had to order, read off the drawings, was a lot of aluminium "tool-plate". I am not sure of the alloy grade but it was simply wrought plate machined or ground to precise thicknesses and flatness.

No - there is no logical reason why this tool-grinder could not be made from aluminium alloy.

Same with the commutator lathe cited by Neil Wyatt. I would envisage such a lathe, designed for a special, light task, as having its aluminium-alloy saddle fitted with linear bearings running on parallel round bars rather than dovetailed bed; extending through the end-plates of a box-pattern headstock.

As for purists, I recall at one major exhibition, overhearing one say agree with his pal that some minor detail was "wrong", on the machine I was admiring. It was a traction-engine to 3 or 4-inch scale, clearly well-built but not newly, carrying the honourable patina of a well-loved engine that had seen a rally-field or two, as intended. I wondered which were the critics' exhibits...

Thread: Mystery parts
20/09/2020 23:48:43

It might of course be freelance.

The flywheel is a bit out of proportion for a traction-engine, being too wide and too small diameter for the rest of the engine, and would not normally have a rope-groove, so could have been intended for a very different engine.

Nevertheless, it would be good to see it in running condition, on air or steam.

Thread: Reminiscences
19/09/2020 22:41:15

I recall seeing but not using, trolley-buses, in Portsmouth and Bournemouth, but despite having been made in 1952 I never saw a tram until visiting Crich Tramway Museum a few decades later.

All those old wireless programmes....

Yes, I recall the Saturday evening litany as ever-hopeful Dad ticked the Littlewoods football coupon. "Far Tottering Rovers three, Oyster Creek United - one." You could tell which side won or if a draw before each line was completed, by the intonation.

Also, Wilfred Pickles with his wife Mabel in a more light-hearted version of Franklin Engelmann's (I think) friendly Down Your Way . Assorted comedies such as The Navy Lark and The Clitheroe Kid - and of course the very edgy Round The Horne. (I learnt only very recently that the Jules & Sandy sketches used genuine slang!) . I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again in the mid-1960s. Some of these shows are being repeated on Radio Four Extra.

The plummy accent that many announcers assumed, making some of their recorded interviews now sound as antiquated as James Clitheroe - who sadly was never able to break out of the child role that eventually destroyed his career by staleness and diminishing credibility.

Alvar Liddel - not sure if he was the main presenter on Radio Newsreel but it was ages before I learnt his name was not "Alvarlin Dale" or later, when my best pal lived in a Lyndale Road, "Alvar Lyndale".

The Archers continues as ever, the world's longest-running soap-opera though the "Everyday story of country folk" by-line was dropped sometime last century. Our Mam was the main Archers follower in the family; but also enjoyed Mrs.'Dale's Diary and was right indignant when first, that was demoted to The Dales, then replaced by something called Wagoners' Walk - a sort of Eastenders by wireless but from the right side of the tracks, I think. At least The Luscombes' amiable little lives never, to my recollection, had anything gritty in them; in fact I don't think the series was a serial.

Anyone remember Sing Something Simple? You have my sympathies! Still, I was the right age when Radio One burst upon us, after Aunty's nervous toe-dipping into pop by the Light Programme Pick Of The Pops and The Saturday Club. Shame though that everything with fine names has to be re-titled by mere numbers.

Yes, fond memories, but I would not want to return to that, given the huge choice of programmes now on the five main BBC radio channels plus its digital subsidiaries. Nor could it possibly have supported music and kept other programmes going through a pandemic as it is now doing - simply because the technical means was not available in the 1950s-60s.

'

I do have one very sad and specific memory, though would not have understood it fully at the time. A Hampshire native and still South Coast resident, Manchester was unknown to me but I was an early and avid reader. My Infants' School teacher not only introduced me to Winnie the Pooh. She would also lend me her daily newspaper - and I dimly recall its front-page news one day (in 1958?) was of an air-crash in a country called Germany, killing the Manchester (City?) team...

I still have my copy of W-the-P, her gift to me on my leaving the area when Dad's work was moved to Dorset.

I treasure very few things from that era, but one I do is another book - anyone else recall The Junior Weekend Book?

Some of its contents would make modern parents and teachers of Food Technology and Design & Technology or whatever those are called now, faint... Making toffee? What? Teaching children to boil sugar and butter in a big pan on the gas-stove? (It taught me, well, with Mum's supervision.) Making a simple dinghy? What? Encouraging children to use saws, hammers and nails; and to venture forth upon the waters with the results?

The boat-building does not tell you to ask Dad nicely if he will cut the wood for you. No, you cut it, to the sizes given in simple drawings. Nor, as far as remember, is there much advice on making the boat water-tight; and none on life-jackets! Curious that my generation was not the last.

The chapter on making toffee says something revealing of its 1950s times, with, "now that sugar is off ration..."

Completing the circle, I knew buses and trains, not trams; but a bus I travelled on frequently in its 1960s Southern National days on the Weymouth Grammar School run, was a single-deck, half-cab Bristol, 'Lodekka' I think. It was bought into preservation by the locally and newly-formed Dorset Transport Circle. Subsequently it went to a Swindon owner, and as far as I know is still running. Fleet number 1613, reg, LTA 772.... Err, my portable 'phone number? Surely you don't expect me to remember that!

{ Moved by moderator from 'What Did You Do Today' to 'Reminiscenses' : hope that's OK.

Dave }

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 20/09/2020 09:21:31

Thread: Are you too getting wound up?
18/09/2020 21:39:37

Your mistake is in starting the machine with the cutter in contact, though also look to ensure the stock is held fully along the available length.

One well-tried method if a centre-finder is not available, uses a slip of thin paper to set the staring-point.

Measure the thickness of the paper, then "glue" it to the face of the metal with a smear of oil, with the cutter a couple of inches back from the centre of the face to be milled (and the machine off!).

Now start the mill, and very carefully advance the table until the cutter just bites the paper.

Lift the cutter clear / lower the table, stop the motor. Move the table so the cutter is now in the area of the start of its travel, which is in fresh air, not on the work-piece.

Advance the table by the paper thickness, and set the dial or DRO to 0. (The former assumes moveable dials - if not, note the reading. I put a pencil mark on it, too.) Now advance the table again, in the same direction, to the intended cut width.

Lower the cutter / raise the table to set the vertical depth appropriately - it may not be the full thickness of the stock.

Lock the travels that need stay constant, turn the machine on and start the cutting. Go gently on bringing the cutter into the metal.

On a light-weight machine especially, the depth and thickness being removed should not exceed about a third of the cutter diameter, which for cutting an open surface should really be an end-mill.

Always cut down-hand, i.e. with the work advancing against the advancing cutting-edges. The other way, "climb-milling", pulls the cutter into the work, and is safe only on very rigid machines with very high inertia and minimal backlash.

+++

A note on using the vice:

If the work does not extend inwards past the axis of the vice-screw, any slack in the vice can rotate the moving jaw about the inner corner of the work, reducing the grip of the jaw's outer end on the metal. My way round this, is to put a piece of round bar of the same diameter as the work width, vertically in the vice right at the other end of the jaws - and take very careful cuts.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
18/09/2020 20:55:45

Hmmm.

Makes those of without an In-house Domestic Consultant as safety-cover and potential rescuer, think of the things we have, use or do alone.

Heavy, bulky objects. Powerful machine- and portable- tools. Ladders. Sharp knives, wood-chisels, milling-cutters. Chemicals you would not want on your cornflakes....

Thread: "The Unique"
17/09/2020 22:27:23

Nicholas -

I was playing with the trade-name "Unique" and word "unique" there, but thank you for showing us the advertisement for the similar "Verdict".

13/6 would have been quite pricey in 1964, but it's odd to note that the magnetic stand cost an economical 4/- more. You'd think it would have been the other way round. Perhaps it was the magnet that was the expensive item, and was more likely bought than made by Verdict.

The "Unique" has not a rod-clamp but a flat clamp-plate held by two screws with knurled nuts; amenable to, say, gripping a piece of square bar held in a lathe tool-post. The primary differences between them though, are in the style and disposition of the plunger.

Thread: London Model Engineering Exhibition 2021 Cancelled
17/09/2020 22:05:09

A sorry turn of events but I don't think we can be surprised by the decision.

I wonder if the other main event that co-incides with our show, the snooker, is off too? And the use of the skating-rink and newly-restored theatre, both also in the building?

Thread: WHY THE TANG?
17/09/2020 21:57:53

Damaged tangs suggest to me heavy-handed use - a machine-shop operator who is drilling holes and very likely wishes he wasn't but has to make a living somehow, is less likely to treat the company's tools and machines as gently and lovingly as we in our home workshops who have had to pay for the equipment. Blame ye not the tool, but the user.

That's an interesting suggestion, Martin, that the tang aids making the drill itself. I must admit I have never seen any description of how that is done, but you might be right. Nevertheless, we are considering the use of the tool, not its manufacture.

I have augmented my library of model-engineering books with ones written for the engineering trade - very much harder working conditions for the tools. This quote is from one of them, a text-book for engineering college students and reference for professional machinists:

The action of the taper is to wedge itself into the drilling-machine spindle, which has a taper to suit... The greater the pressure the tighter the drill, but even so, it is necessary to provide a positive drive in the form of a "tang" which fits into a corresponding slot in the machine spindle.

Sandy, A.H., A.M.I.P.E., "Cutting Tools For Engineers" , Crosby, Lockwood & Son Ltd, London {date not stated], Chap VI "Drills & Drilling" pp 56-70.

The title page informs us that Mr. Sandy, a "Silver Medallist, City & Guilds", was an "Instructor and Lecturer, Mechanical Engineering Department, Borough Polytechnic, London." I think we can, and I certainly do, accept that he knew his subject.

Also, I pointed out that if the tang was purely for ejecting the tool from the spindle it would not need to be made so elaborately, to fine limits prescribed in the official, industrial standards.

The quote itself is from p.57; but even given that the pages are slightly smaller than modern A5, that page range shows there is more to drills and drilling than might be obvious. My omission ("to suit..." is of just a reference to adaptors.

Why lathe tailstocks do not normally have tang-slots, is another matter, and I have often wondered that. It is a nuisance when using my tailstock die-holder in the ML7, as the taper does not provide sufficient grip. On the other hand, it does not fit the Harrison L5 tailstock as the tang hits something - the end of the barrel screw, probably.

I can only suppose that lathe designers assume a hole too large for drilling from a Jacobs-style chuck that fits the tailstock, will be bored to size from a pilot hole.

Thread: ultrasonic cleaning fluid ?
17/09/2020 00:40:21

Remembering using Decon ultrasonic cleaning fluids at work, I looked it up - if you need find what's in a substance use its "Safety Data Sheet". Decon 90 is a solution of potassium hydroxide and detergents; so though not a chemist I would think ordinary laundry detergent with washing-soda (not as hazardous as potassium hydroxide) would work as it is not so dissimilar to the proprietory fluid.

Note though, that alkalis will attack aluminium.

I am though, very puzzled by this thing about putting the work-pieces in a hard plastic or glass container within the tank. It does not seem to have come from the tank manufacturers; but I accept some may advise or suggest specific types of intermediate container for their tanks and for specific types of fluids - those are important variables!

Looking at it from an acoustics perspective - and the parts I was cleaning at work were for ultrasonic transducers - I would think some of what has been suggested on this thread would diminish the efficiency of the ultrasonic action, or even negate it, turning the process into one of simple washing.

Judging by the properties of the materials, a polythene bag or beaker might not present much impedance as the speed of sound through polyethylene is not too far different from that probable in a rich detergent solution. Glass though, is likely simply to bounce most of the sound back off into the water. If you then fill the jar or beaker with something other than water, you add still another mis-match to the system.

Ultrasonic cleaning is predicated on placing the work-piece, with the worst muck removed first, directly in a suitable solvent or detergent solution in the tank itself; and the manufacturer has gone to considerable trouble to couple the transducers to the tank to minimise the losses due to the two surfaces between transducer and fluid. So why add more, and worse, un-matched, barrier surfaces?

(This matter of acoustic coupling explains the gel used between transducer and skin in medical ultrasound - it is a matching layer to help as much of the signals' energy across the boundary as possible.)

Even if your intermediate container and the liquid within that are reasonably well matched to the surrounding fluid, so the work actually is being cleaned ultrasonically, the smaller container will cramp the rinsing action and keep the dirt around the work-piece.

Essentially we seem to have here suggestions to buy an expensive bit of equipment then not let it work at its best. It may still work, but is it working as intended or merely as a solvent-tank? If the latter, you might just as well wash the items in the kitchen sink.

The baths we had at work came with stainless-steel mesh work-holding baskets like those in chip-fryers, but you could dangle smaller work-pieces on wire from some point above.

Thread: P.S.Waverley
16/09/2020 23:03:37

I am assuming you live in the UK here.

You will need the boiler testing for public or club running, yes, but most of us have our models' boilers tested via the model-engineering club scheme.

You do of course need to be a full member of a club associated ( most, via one of the Federations) with the scheme - but this includes most model-engineering societies and more specifically the Model Power Boat Association..

You are right: Waverley's engine is not an oscillator, but a triple-expansion diagonal with conventional fixed cylinders and Stephenson's link-motion.

Thread: Marking out blueing or pens?
16/09/2020 22:51:02

Normal fibre-tip pens won't work on oily surfaces, no, in fact it will harm them.

Neither will marking-out fluid, which is what you are asking about; but in both cases, clean the surface first with a suitable solvent such as meths, which will also remove the ink afterwards.

When marking out rough or dark materials like hot-rolled steel, I sometimes clean the surface, spray it with a couple of coats of grey primer and mark out with a sharp pencil.

16/09/2020 22:44:39

Well, you learn summat new everyday on here!

I do admit I had never heard the crown (coin) called a "dollar", nor ever read it called that, so it can't have that universal.

What I do recall of "going decimal" was the instant rip-off where shopkeepers simply replaced the "d" with "p", multiplying the cost of small items by 2.4.

Also, most people soon stopped using the word "penny" (except - given the topics above - to "spend" one) and called it "pence" even in the singular. The "new" prefix faded away as we became accustomed to it.

The "guinea" is still used in livestock auctions, it would seem - apparently as an old tradition that gave the extra "bob" to the auctioneer, though of course the "New Guinea" when not an island is one-pound-and-five-nuppence.

I think I can still remember how to carry out Compound Arithmetic for proper measurements and currency; to calculate the cost of, say 3cwt 2qrs of coal at £17/6 a ton (or however much it was in the early-1960s when I was taught the method). Note the careful use of taught in that last clause - but don't ask me if it's an object or subject clause 'cos I forget how to identify them!

++++

One set of my grandparents lived in a Victorian terraced estate - for them as know Nottingham, Hyson Green as was - but theirs was among the better ones, with a tiny front yard between pavement and front door. The loo was a proper w.c. but in a brick outhouse (!) just beyond the back gate of a small yard that gave enough room to grow a few plants. Since the khasis were in a path serving several homes, reached by a passage though the terrace, it's possible they were earth closets when first built.

T'other grandparents were grander, as their 1920s-30s semi over in Arnold had an indoor w.c.. It was in a small lobby between the back door and the fair-sized kitchen / living-room - well-appointed with both a range and one of these new-fangled gas-stoves. Front room? Oh yes, but one keeps one's front room for best, and I never discovered when "best" was! (In the Hyson Green home the front room was equally for best but also the route from front door past the cellar door to the back room - I forget what we called the latter, parlour I think - stairs and scullery.

A native of Leeds told me his parents' first home was in a similar terrace with brick outhouse, but instead of a chain to pull the loo was flushed by a "flop-jack" - a device borrowed from old-time metal-ore mining, comprising a small tank on bearings, filled with water until it over-balanced and sent several gallons of water drain-wards in a rush. The flop-jack, below the loo floor, was filled from the roof down-spout. Consequently, he explained, in hot dry weather the whiff of drains was noticeable; while in very wet weather the foul miasmas were replaced by continual crashing, splashing and rushing noises as a dozens of flop-jacks discharged all out of synch with each other, and banged back down on their rests. (I don't know if the scullery sink also drained to the flop-jack.)

+++

Just looked back to see what we had been talking about. The Unique test-indicator. Oh yes!

Well, Nottingham was an industrial town so no doubt the Unique was by no means unique there. I do not know when it was invented, but if far back enough my Grandad Kay, the Arnold one, might have been familiar with it. He was a lace-designer; meaning he designed not the art-work itself but the lace-looms' cams and control mechanisms that generated the patterns. A previous Kay established himself as cycle-manufacturer under his name in the city, so may well have used if not the Unique then perhaps something like it!

I have just looked... yes, though I forget how I came by it, mine is indeed a Unique !

Thread: A new [to me ] style of scam eMail
15/09/2020 23:02:26

Thank you for that advice, Robert.

I did not know these services exist, but had tried ActionFraud in the past and found it useless.

'

I received an e-mail purporting to tell me my TV Licence is about to expire, but the dead give-away of its falsehood was a great long list of e-post addressees.

Besides, I have no licence for the TV I do not have; and no I do not watch TV programmes on-line.

I had also a more subtle one supposedly from BT, advising of a voice-mail message from a partly-disguised number that looked vaguely real, possibly London area, but corresponding to none on my address-list. At the foot of the message with its BT colour scheme, was some legalese that would have been more convincing had it not been written in French!

Thread: Brass to mild steel, expansion issues?
15/09/2020 22:34:57

Expansion / contraction is proportional to both length and temperature change, as well as the metals' co-efficients or exapansion. In these small sizes and the modest temperatures changes a model loco chassis is likely to feel, the length changes will be tiny and the difference between them even tinier.

However, re-reading your question I am not clear what you mean by the dimensions and dispositions of the brass plates. Are those 60mm and 100mm the axle spacings? The change with temperature that matters would be that of the wheelbase, not overall length, so very small; and but the horn-plates you are representing normally extend only a short distance either side of each axle.

As a rough guide the external width of a horn-plate is usually somewhere around 3 X the axle diameter, but I don't know how this particular loco was designed.

It might be a problem only if you make the brass plates extend the full wheel-base plus the overlaps: without calculating, 400mm might be long enough for a bi-metal plate to warp slightly over a few 10s of degrees temperature range either side of the temperature at which it was assembled. Conventional horn-plates separate for each axle, as Paul says, would be no problem though.

Thread: WHY THE TANG?
15/09/2020 22:06:16

Sorry but I don't buy the idea that the tang is purely for ejecting the tool.

The slot it engages in a drilling-machine spindle certainly does give that facility, but whilst my professional engineering text-books do not say so outright, their tables of standard specifications point to the tang also being a drive-dog.

If standard industrial practice was to rely solely on the taper for grip, drills would not have tangs machined to standard, accurate, detail dimensions, and spindle interiors would not be machined to match, beyond the taper itself. The drill would need end only in a short cylindrical stub faced to a shallow cone, able to enter a through-slot sufficiently for the drift to bear on it.

15/09/2020 21:28:57

The Crown (Five shillings) was called a "dollar"? Was it? I never heard that name -was it was something regional?

Thread: Mystery boiler
15/09/2020 01:42:36

Thank you!

Looking at the photos again, it seems actually well made, but not very well designed, as if by someone not versed in the more subtle aspects of loco boilers.

One puzzle, as you mention, is how the original builder intended to get the steam to the super-heater, which with only one element of a pair of rather small tubes, would act as a pretty efficient restrictor.

Normally there would be 3 or 4 super-heater flues and these are usually above the fire-tubes. Now, there is no intrinsic reason that I know of, why a miniature boiler could not have the super-heater below the other tubes provided there is room behind the chimney and blast-pipe for it, but it's normally at the top to suit the steam-pipe from the regulator in the dome.

Some models do use external regulators, either hidden in the smoke-box or rather inelegantly on the back-head, the latter usually on narrow-gauge locos where bolting bits on the outside is a bit more prototypical.

Yet your boiler shows no sign of any internal steam-pipe, nor of any external regulator mountings. I can only think its designer had an external pipe in mind, difficult to hide on a standard-gauge outline loco in British railway practice, though I suppose it could be hidden under the cladding.

The hole on the lower corner of the back-head: I'd assumed it to be for a blow-down valve, though It could have been intended for a feed clack.

Oh to know what loco is being replicated!

I think a lot of club boiler-inspectors would be unhappy to certify this boiler, whose main problem may be that over-high internal fire-box. They may well want at least, the threaded holes fitted with silver-soldered bronze bushes, unless they can accept a design directly comparable to known boilers using direct threads.

Probably, your best course of action if you decide to use it, would be to write down what work needs doing to it, and its working-pressure and the method you used to find that. Then before cutting any metal, show the boiler inspector both the unit itself and that information, and ask his advice.

Note that the initial shell test is just that - the full certification needs it pass a hydraulic test in working condition, and a steam-test to verify the safety-valves, pressure-gauge and feed arrangements.

'

I wonder how many other miniature locomotive boilers there are out there, all forlornly awaiting identifying and pairing with the rest of the intended machine in the hope that the Great God PER will bestow his blessings upon them? Looking at the second-hand traders' exhibition stands I reckon you could almost build a somewhat quirky but effective engine around the once-high hopes languishing in the dream-catcher trays of assorted wheels, possibly-identified boilers, unidentified cylinders, unidentifiable bits, rusty castings and grubby frames..

13/09/2020 23:45:17

I have before me my copy of the latest edition of The Scriptures (Orange-on-White, a.k.a. The Boiler Test Code 2018)...

This is not verbatim but a précis to suit what we have here. "Shall" is a legal word meaning exactly what it says:

5. Design Verification.

This section clarifies that a boiler not to a recognised design must be accompanied by the relevant drawings and by calculation or well-proven example, evidence of adequate strength of design and materials.

The drawings or accompanying text shall show the Working Pressure - if that is not available it has to be calculated and the calculations verified.

The boiler shall treated as a new design, so given an "Initial hydraulic shell pressure-test", without cladding, to 2 X WP.

===

So in this case, you would need and can only produce, as Paul Kemp says, a drawing of the boiler as it is, and use the regular calculations to assess its own, sensible working-pressure guided by typical for the scale of the locomotive. As its history is unknown it would be treated as a "new" boiler and given the initial 2 X WP hydraulic test - and when the loco is finished, the first regular 1.5 X WP hydraulic, and the steam-accumulation, tests.

Though that section does not say refer to materials, you do not need traceability documents for an owner-built copper boiler's materials.

===

You need to know the boilers Bar.litre capacity - simple enough once you know the working-pressure. Fill the boiler completely using a measuring jug, multiply that amount of water in litres by the WP in Bar.

A boiler also needs an ID number. You can use your own, but the Orange-on-White Book recommends following your Club's federation's system.

#

NB: Club Boiler Inspectors are not duty bound to test a boiler full-stop. They will do their best and a happy boiler admirer is one who has just passed a boiler for service, but the Test Code makes clear that he can, and should, refuse to test a boiler he feels outside of his experience. Obviously he can also fail a boiler even just on dry examination, but has to give the refusal and explanation in writing. There is a space on the Certificate for this, though to be honest if this was a boiler not yet on the books and unlikely to be made serviceable in the near future, I'd probably just apologise and refuse it verbally, though still explain why of course.

I suggest, if you haven't already, obtaining a copy for yourself of The Boiler Test Code 2018 , so you know what is expected, in detail.

It is not the best of technical documents as the applicable clear road ahead is not immediately obvious, but it does contain all the information you and the Boiler Inspector need. Just as well because the Certificates are not the simplest of forms to complete!

You can also follow the instructions to ensure by a preliminary test, the boiler is ready for its official test. If you do I would suggest going to WP only first, hydraulically of course and in gentle stages, and only if that's satisfactory, to 1.5WP maximum. Leave the 2WP to the proper test.

+++

Another thought on the apparent soot. Soot or oxide? I wonder if that is actually from the silver-soldering, not from any firing.

Thread: Mystery Object ... This one has me beat
13/09/2020 21:38:25

If it is supporting something round, its going to rattle about unless there is a rubber grommet or similar.

Well, rattling might not have been a problem for whatever it held! The fittings might have been secured by their own threads and nuts, like pipe-fittings.

Its not ex government

We do not know that - not every component of every assembly in Govt. / Military service is stamped with a broad arrow or similar signifier.

It was found on a playing field, but that may not be a clue

Indeed, it could be simply a co-incidence; but one that along with the material and lack of machining makes me wonder if it was a bracket or similar fixed part of irrigation equipment.

Lightning conductor item ?

Feasible - is / was there a tall building with lightning-conductor in the vicinity?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest