By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Johnboy25

Here is a list of all the postings Johnboy25 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: source of gauge glass
31/12/2018 09:23:46

David - are you after pane glass or round tube water gauge glass? Microscope slides might be worth considering but if it’s water gauge tube - I’ll have a look in my miscellaneous glass tubing box and I’ll get back to you.

John🙂

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
13/12/2018 14:53:23

Rod... what material did you extrude on the 3D printer to make the extender/adapter for the stepper motor & rotary table?

John

Thread: Boxford Model A stopping on slow speeds...?
27/10/2018 13:00:14

JP....

I too use a straight SAE 20 mineral oil for all the places with the Ball Oilers and one or two squirts of Castrol LM grease on the Headstock now and again depending on usage. The tightness of the drive belts are optimised to try to reduce general vibration to a minimum.

Search either this site or the web for a PDF copy of 'Know Your Lathe'. this is the Boxford publication of the lathe manual and some good operating practice.

John

23/10/2018 23:38:41

Is the back gear partially engaged? The level on the front of the headstock I think is in the wrong position I’ll check in the workshop tomorrow morning!

Edited By Johnboy25 on 23/10/2018 23:41:14

Thread: 3 phase
21/10/2018 14:00:12

‘Horses for courses’. If I manage to move to a more rural location and there’s three phase on the property I’ll use it for the workshop but until then I happy using VFD inverters with single phase for my needs. I’m not a fan of rotary or static converters. I find the options available with VFD’s such as soft start, deceleration and dc braking for emergency stop function for example most useful. Another advantage is that youn can run the motors at 60Hz (as with my American surface grinder) to get the extra 20% increase in speed. Having said this I’ve being using inverter for increasing power efficiency as well as speed control on industrial equipment since the 80’s on three phase supplies as standard. At the end of the day it’s what your familiar and most comfortable with. 🤔👍

John

Thread: 3 phase converter help needed please
06/10/2018 09:59:06

George - any updates on progress?

John

Thread: The Workshop Progress thread 2018
29/06/2018 11:13:45

It’s been a little too warm in the workshop lately to get serious work done.😕 Yesterday my max/min thermometer indicated 31 Centigrade. As much as I like this time of year I seem to more done when it cooler. So it’s evenings and mornings being the best times at the moment. A good time perhaps to draw up plans for an insulated replacement workshop!

John

Thread: hot enough?
28/05/2018 18:45:41

Looks like this guys using oxyacetylene or oxypropane to get the heat in a local point. A large propane torch (Sievert type) may get it hot enough. I personally would attemp it with a plumbers torch. A Map gas torch will give you a higher temp but it not a good as the genuine MAPP gas.

All disclaimers and errors and omissions included! 😳

John

Thread: Pickling acid
09/04/2018 15:50:55

Multiple posting - again! Please ignore. 😳

Edited By Johnboy25 on 09/04/2018 15:55:37

09/04/2018 15:50:55

I’d better rush out to get some H2SO4 before it unobtainable....

**LINK**

Better take my safety specs and arm length rubber gloves - this stuff is 91% conc. it sez on the label.🙂

John

Thread: Materials Question
05/04/2018 18:55:41

Thanks all for your replies - much appreciated. I’ll check them all out.thumbs up

05/04/2018 11:59:47

Hi... I’m trying to dedemine the black composite material used for good quality handles for kitchen knives. I haven’t found any thing on t’internet as yet. While we’re on the subject of materials - are there any suppliers of the old style Ebonite out there anymore? John

Thread: Electric cooker temperature
05/04/2018 11:11:25

Can you check continuity of the heater element? Depending on the make/design of the oven there may be one or two elements. I have had experience of elements going open circuit when they heat up giving you a false impression that it ok.

John

Thread: The Workshop Progress thread 2018
15/03/2018 08:09:24

Mark - as a bit of ‘an old duffer’ myself, I second that! I recently made some replacement carburettor linkage pieces for a McCorrick tractor. After working how I could manufacture the butterfly valve linkage and fabricated the said item only to find I’d made a mirror image of what was required! 😱 😳🤣

John

Thread: Best edge finder for oldie
09/03/2018 12:02:54

Being a ‘“self taught” machinist I find the sprung loaded edge finder works for me. I have two types the wobble types and the spung type with the centre finder one end and the edge finder the other. The other addition to this is a good light for illustration. The IKEA Jansjo is small and doesn’t get in the way of the work to restrict viewing.

John

P.S. take a look on YouTube for video clips on edge finders - there’s a lot of useful stuff on there. 

Edited By Johnboy25 on 09/03/2018 12:04:41

Thread: A recommended live center?
05/03/2018 20:29:58

Skoda is my preferred live center...

Ian P - I had the same problem. I turned up a button with a location pip on it then Loctited it in with some Loctite 601 if my memory serves me. It ejects without any problem. 👍

Edited By Johnboy25 on 05/03/2018 20:31:18

Thread: TDA2030A Audio Amp
14/02/2018 19:48:06

I agree Jez... I frequently rolled about laughing when these audiophiles started talking about the good effect of ‘oxygen free copper’ speaker cable! I had a practical approach to HiFi making my own Lindsey Hood class A amplifier and home brew preamp and ‘tone contol’. Happy days!

Thread: Decorative measuring tools
07/01/2018 17:40:47

Your friends & neighbours will think you’ve become a member of the Masons or some other charitable organisation when they see that! If it’s any consolation - my SWMBO does the the same sort of things!

Thread: Intel PCs to be reduced in speed by up to 30%
07/01/2018 17:03:42

“Intriguing to watch society being manipulated by semi-truths and wild exaggeration...”

Yes that’s familiar - just like the Trump administration! 🤔😋😳

Thread: Boxford gurus 2.0
17/12/2017 10:31:15

Morning folks.... while we’re on the subject of Boxford lathes - has anybody dimensional drawings of a splashback for the lathe? I could makeup a simple one but I sure it would be usefull with a shelf option for the Dixon QCT holders. The retired edges will make it sturdier as well.

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest