By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Hacksaw

Here is a list of all the postings Hacksaw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Wheel flanges
21/04/2021 16:56:55

I've remembered , i have some smaller gears salvaged from an angle grinder ...! They might do

21/04/2021 16:46:49

I bunged one in my lathe this morning , it turns beautifully .. Must be old English cast iron !! Not even a hard skin or blow hole .  Just messy black  mess...

The chart that Duncan linked to , says overall width of a 3 1/2 " gauge wheel is 0.375 " - 9.5 mm . I reckon it's possible ! There isn't any wobble - run out , a think they'll skim up ok and still be wide enough . However... the hand drill bevel gear is a larger diameter than my wheels..?? I hadn't thought about that ..Any way around that ?

Edited By Hacksaw on 21/04/2021 16:48:23

20/04/2021 22:25:49
Posted by Steviegtr on 20/04/2021 22:15:10:

Are you sure they are cast & not forged steel. Not sure the difference machining though.

Steve.

Yup, i hit it with a hammer and it broke one . only have 15 left ..

20/04/2021 22:12:15

I think i know the answer really ... but i was having some thoughts..b80 016.jpg

b80 017.jpg

Would there be enough meat on these roller door wheels to turn into loco wheels ? They're just shy of 75mm dia and 10mm wide .. The flange does appear to be cast a little thicker /deeper on the inner side , so that side would be the tread .

I was only thinking Kerr Stuart 060 diesel type , 12v battery , hand drill bevel gears , something simple anyway ... !

Edited By Hacksaw on 20/04/2021 22:12:59

Thread: Lotus 7 and Mini 2 cylinder
19/03/2021 22:41:06

Doh . can't link it ..here's the title " 2 cylinder Mini prototype engine ?! 1957 - Ivan's shed "

19/03/2021 22:35:57

Old school car restorer videos...

1957 Lotus 7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kat79zrVDQg

Same old fella with a prototype 2 cyl A series type Mini engine.. !! There are several videos on there if it interests you !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlqhCA9NQmA
Thread: Mystery Woodwork Tool!
01/03/2021 20:45:17

When i were a schoolboy, i made a folding wood work bench . Teach said it would last me a lifetime , old school enthusiastic teacher he was . . After exams , i stayed on a bit , finishing stuff i'd made . Teach, suggested i make i wooden vice for the bench too , thread an' all , as he had the tap and die to suit ...

I can't remember what the die was like , or the selected wood for the screw , but it cut beautifully . The clamp bits were beech, if i remember . Now, either the tap was blunt ,or it was rubbish wood , but the internal thread was rough as a badgers ...

Any way , once the screw was in,and the vice assembled , you couldn't see it anyway ! It worked fine ,sort of.... with a bit of candle fat ... until it got damp in the garage after i'd left school , and i snapped the tommy bar tying to open it ! Threw the whole lot away , good old Black n Decker workmate since

Thread: Micro rivets
07/02/2021 15:16:18

I've removed the engine ! Low mileage i guess ,but the oil is a bit low on the dipstick , and compression is low ... gummed rings I daresay , ruddy 1950's monograde oil... cheeky

b80 002.jpg

b80 003.jpg

Sweet innit ? smile

03/02/2021 19:12:20

They're magnetic real rivets holding it together ..

03/02/2021 16:04:07

Thanks . I've found the rivet squeezer ! Interesting possibility

03/02/2021 15:33:46

More pics

sump side of the engine

bus coach 021.jpg

Axle

bus coach 025.jpg

Radiator bus coach 032.jpg

Fan side of radiator ,engine and gearbox mount . Dipstick ..Pulleys and fan do actually rotate !

bus coach 035.jpg

Size wise ..that's an AA battery on the top.. so you can see there ain't a lot of room for hammering a rivet !!

aa battery.jpg

Edited By Hacksaw on 03/02/2021 15:46:21

Edited By Hacksaw on 03/02/2021 15:48:13

03/02/2021 14:46:03

Thank you so much for the replies ! Every idea mentioned i have already thought about !!

Tim S , the micrometer / hollow G clamp screw idea .. i thought of that too ! I was thinking I could use a modified automatic centre punch pushed down the hollow screw to clench the rivet ??

The existing rivets are magnetic , I would use soft copper or aluminium mig wire . Or buy some jewellery ones ... I

Spot welding .. dummy rivet ..This i'm going to look at . Would the pieces need to be really clean , or would a belt of electric burn through any oxide ? Something like they use to weld Ni-cads tags together ? All food for thought..

I do have a new front axle my dad made , and front springs ,wheels , dampers , steering wheel and other bits .. that were detached .

I have no interest in buses or coaches .. I paid about 40 quid for it at Maidstone Toy fair diecast swap meet , to give to my dad , around 20 years ago . He's dead now , he never did repair it ... so i claimed it back ..

It is exquisite , maybe its beyond me to repair it , being honest , I would like it to go eventually to a museum or something , i suppose .

I've just seen on TV , Antiques hunt thing , from Lewis in Sussex .( I'm in love with that Christina chick..  She went to a toy train museum in Brighton.. which isn't a million miles from Hove , where Harringtons were built . Maybe i'll offer it to them at some point .. we'll see .

02/02/2021 23:12:58

Here you can see twisted wire holding the crossmember together ! How the hell am i going to re -rivet that !

bus coach 024.jpg

02/02/2021 22:57:34

I'm trying to restore an old model bus chassis . Pretty sure its a Harrington Contender Integral chassis .. with a Rolls Royce B80 petrol engine . Who ever built it was a fabulous modeller . Perhaps it was for a motor show display . However , I guess it has been dropped .. It's constructed as per original , aluminium and rivets ... 100's of them! And quite a few have either pulled through, or just missing .And the chassis is flopping about .. They're about 1mm dia..and iron.. A lot of the ones that need replacing , are in an awkward place ..

I don't suppose there's a tool , i 'm imagining something . say like a stapler..or a goose necked stapler .. or something like a leather punch shape .. that could set a rivet ? Any ideas ? If not , i'll make a snap and set , but it'll be bloomin awkward ..i'll have to get another pair of hands to hold it !! I don't really want to just glue it back together . Thanksimg_4894.jpg

img_4895.jpg

img_4896.jpg

img_4898.jpg

Thread: Making a cast of a blind hole
05/01/2021 16:55:51

Polymorph

Thread: Salvaging Useful Parts from Printers
01/06/2020 22:32:40

That lovely bar of free cutting steel in the dead printer you always have to prise out before throwing it away ? It's now just a thin wall tube.... angry 2 2 motors was all i " saved " .

However , the smaller one , hooked up to a solar panel battery maintainer , gives amazing torque ! I was then thinking what could it power in the garden this summer ? A water pump for the water butt ? A fan in the pergola ? A RTP aeroplane ? A RTP car on the patio ? A fake beam engine in the middle of the lawn ? Watch this space !!wink

Any other ideas ?

Edited By Hacksaw on 01/06/2020 22:37:12

Thread: Whatever happened to...
22/04/2020 19:10:27

Morrissons started stocking Lemon puff biscuits last year remember them? 60p..I was buying 6 packets at a time .

Even the older biddy on the till said " Corr i haven't seen those for years ! " If you leave them open they go all sticky and more lemony ...lovely ..

Then the price went up to £1.20  over night , and has been ever since , so sorry Mr Morrisson , i'm not paying that much no matter how nice they are..

Edited By Hacksaw on 22/04/2020 19:11:20

Thread: Coronavirus
18/03/2020 07:01:22

Wild bat meat !

Thread: Tuna Can Blower
22/01/2020 18:17:20

Granny knickers

Thread: Electric motor ratings
08/01/2020 20:06:20

A 100w Marshall amp is more powerful than a Fender 100w because the knob can go to 11... fact cheeky

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest