By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Hacksaw

Here is a list of all the postings Hacksaw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Confession Time!
18/10/2019 17:55:08

Also great for when you go out to the dustbin ...and the door slams shut in the wind.. and the keys are in the lock the other side.. Ask me how i know blush

Thread: How many Hammers
28/09/2019 17:59:16

One of my favorite drawings from "Keep your VW alive" laugh

img026.jpg

Thread: Startrite Drill Press(benchtop) - stuck chuck
24/09/2019 19:33:30

And kids shoes...

Thread: citric acid
23/09/2019 20:35:12

If it tastes mouldy it probably is

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
22/09/2019 00:11:24

I pulled a carpet size piece of "wet and dry " type abrasive 100 grit out of a skip ! Barely used too. 15 ft x 4 ft surprise I guess its for one of those door sanders , where the whole door goes through under the sanding belt... It had a small nick in it ,so i suppose it wouldn't be any good to use .. What to do with it ? Flatting cylinder heads ? smiley Good score though eh ? I did ask before i took it

Thread: Why are insert toolholders so expensive?
11/09/2019 00:03:43

Slightly off topic , what are those lathe tools that are bent downwards for ? You see them on secondhand tool stalls , usually the last thing to sell , as they're massive industrial size .. They look like they have huge negative rake and would just scrape metal away

10/09/2019 22:56:19

If you run out of inserts you can just grind an edge on the holder ,if it's a hardened one , and carry on....blush

I wouldn't ever do that though. wink

Thread: Need a lot of help from you good people
19/08/2019 23:19:43

Yeah but it was a 3 litre capri battery , not a 1300 one laugh

Thread: This weeks offer at Lidl
19/08/2019 22:35:52

well it's still "new" but i did look anyway and they're fine . It's the i.c. boards i'm sure ..

19/08/2019 22:03:39

The Lidl angle grinder failure .. Having bypassed the revver upper bit ..(assuming it was dead) Still it wouldn't work .. I was expecting it to run at full speed..lidls grndr 001.jpg

I checked the cable and fuse , they were ok . Spinning the motor by hand generated up to 35 volts on my cheap digi meter , so i assumed the motor was ok too .Which left the on /off switch.

lidls grndr 002.jpg

I wasn't going to test it with mains electric , so i flicked the tester to ohms and hooked it up to input and output.. The neutral side didn't register anything upon pulling the trigger...but the live did.. So a switch fault ?? I removed it from the housinglidls grndr 003.jpg

And pulled out the switch bit ...lidls grndr 004.jpg

I took it apart , to fix it ... it'll be a simple 2 pole ....And I'm afraid it's beyond me , as that's full of electronics stuff...!!! Soft start and quick stop circuit I suppose ? lidls grndr 005.jpg

Would i buy another ?  Absolutely !  I have three others and they're great .. but i won't be running them on a genny. I know i could take it back and they'd refund me, there's 2 years warranty on them but I'll keep this one for spares for the others should  I burn one out..

Edited By Hacksaw on 19/08/2019 22:28:51

19/08/2019 15:17:10

Well chopping the wires to the variable speed and joining them up, resulted in a still non functioning grinder !! Cable has continuity..fuse is good .. Got to go out now , i'll test the switch and windings later !

18/08/2019 20:04:46

Umm ...I've read that the electronics in mig welders dislike being run from a generator , or rather the generator needs to be a much larger kw for it to work ? Well , today i used my newish Lidls variable speed 1200w angle grinder with my Honda EX500 genny...( 500w ) It ran it ok to start with, I didn't overload it , as obviously it wasn't making much power running on 500w ..and i was only using a 1mm disc to cut off a 8mm bolt so i wanted it to keep spinning fast . When i went to cut off a second bolt , the grinder wouldn't work.. Nor on mains .. Fetching my second Lidls grinder , that worked ok with genny power and i finished the job .. Do you think i've damaged the variable speed board ? I can't see that I could have burnt out the motor windings...

Thread: Remembering Apollo 11
16/07/2019 22:44:36

Eclipse of the moon time !laugh

Thread: Easy Button Die Storage Solution
20/06/2019 10:26:21

And the steel stains the oak...

Thread: Silver soldering cast iron?
18/06/2019 21:20:05

Later , less well made Suffolks have a pressed steel clutch drum...interchangeable.. Might have one somewhere

Thread: Hi I am Mick and am very interested in the Aveling & Porter Roller
11/06/2019 23:49:26

He smokes around in it at the weekendscheeky...house shakes , and the dog goes potty when it goes past..angry  It actually goes at a fair old lick !

Edited By Hacksaw on 11/06/2019 23:52:47

11/06/2019 23:31:22

There's one not 50 yards from me right now , at the top of my road ! laugh

roller.jpg

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
21/05/2019 18:05:29

That's nice. When i was a lot , lot younger , and had hair , and a mum , i built a kit car...a Burlington SS , that looked a bit like a Morgan ..and Morgan drivers used to wave at me ,and i didn't ever wave back, as mine was a fake!! blush Me mum loved going in it , me wife hated it ..I put a 2.5 Triumph engine in it and drove it like an idiot and frightened her ...I gave it away to a school mate .. I'll find a picture... smiley

1128.jpg

Edited By Hacksaw on 21/05/2019 18:08:08

21/05/2019 17:45:21

Hardly engineering or model engineering .Made a stainless steel horse shoe for a friends daughters wedding posy..

That's knackered my tools a bit . Hard to forge, is stainless steel... I did sweat a little! Cripes, digital picks up every blemish and micro scratches .forge 006.jpg

Thread: T nut slot channel
12/05/2019 17:55:56

Ahh. Probably not what you're looking for,but ..

I was standing under a 30mph road sign last night, and looking up at it .. on the back face is an ally extrusion , with T nuts holding it to the post ..

And I thought of this thread !! smiley

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
cowbells
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Meridenne Boat 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest