By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for terry callaghan

Here is a list of all the postings terry callaghan has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Pansy 060 steam engine
14/02/2015 13:11:17

Hi to remove the boiler you need to do the following. Remove water tanks, cab. Undo the water feeds from the back head and from the cleck valves on side of boiler.just under the smoke box there are a number of screw or bolt heads on each side.undo these and remove.inside the smoke box you will see a large nut undo this. You can then left the boiler and smoke box from the frames.mchael.

Ps also remove boiler plug to be found on boiler firebox lower left hand side as looking at loco from the rear

06/02/2015 13:22:22

I second the tim coles book. as to the waterworks of the pansy per the drawings. Under the side water tanks are to valves. you will find them just behind the smoke box on the boiler. these two valves are called clack valves and they are just one way valves that work by pressure moving a ball inside. sometimes these balls get locked in position and need cleaning along with the valve body. You do need to make sure these valves both work or no water will get into the boiler from the injector or the axle pump. On the left hand side of the loco from the firebox end under the water tank you will find a tee junction in the pipe work. the pipe that leads to the front of the loco ends up at the clack valve on the left hand side. the pipe that travels under the boiler and then leads back to the cab ends up at the axle pump return valve in the right hand water tank. the pipe from the foot of the tee leads to the axle pump. also on the end of the left hand water tank cab end is a pipe that leads to a further clack valve for the hand pump. you then have on the right hand tank near the cab a water feed to the injector and from the injector towards the front of the loco a further pipe leads to the clack valve under the right hand side water tank. the injectors work a bit like a paint spray gun. instead of compressed air, steam is used to pick up the water and force it into the boiler. use lemon juice to bath valves etc in overnight to clean them. I am working on a pansy at the moment if I can be of help please let me know. michael

Thread: What did you do today (2015)
05/02/2015 18:10:43

I got some insulation matting from Halfords for 10 pounds a pack. Its around 10mm thick so would not last too long, so I got some large carpet tiles from the local carpet warehouse for free to glued them on top. I must say that its so much better to stand on when machining then the cold hard garage floor. Michael

Thread: Mk1 super 7 problems
27/01/2015 09:33:57

Hi parts for myfords turn up on ebay most weeks.i am sure I have seen oilers for sale on the site.michael

Thread: Vanishing local shop outlets.
23/01/2015 15:45:34

Jesse. I too had an old A10 and a nice bike but slow. I also remember when the Japanese bikes started to take over and I sold the BSA for a Yamaha. then I got a BMW flat twin. a great bike that BMW. However I am not a lover of the products of the far east. Its mainly rubbish they turn out, looks ok for a time and then just starts to fall apart. I don't think its so much a cost issue here in the UK. Its mainly very poor management, lack of R&D and unfair taxes that is killing industry in the UK. Some years back I helped to build MRI scanners. the company had around 100 small local engineering companies who supplied on demand. to try to make more margin the powers that be ordered from the far east. there was a 3 month lead time. In that 3 months the local mainly one man bands started to close down. when the parts turned up from china, well to say that they were bad and not fit for purpose was an understatement. production closed as the supplied chain had gone. 1000 people lost their jobs. I have know time for far eastern rubbish and never will have. The fact that I am using tooling from the 1960,s shows that it was made to last and I am sure it will out last me. I don't think anyone can say that about imported tools from the far east. michael

23/01/2015 14:23:39

I to would like to see a return to real shopping.yes there is a place for the Internet but I dont always know what I want and like to see and think about a tool or material I may need.in fact I have just returned from The Tool Shop in Colyford, after buying a jacobs chuck and then a few maybe handy items.and then into a local shop in yeovil for 4 M4 screws. But I just dont think the small shops will return, overheads are just too high.michael

Thread: Pansy 060 steam engine
20/01/2015 09:26:58

img_9152.jpgstewart. in a word yes. Michael this is a pic of my pansy back head before the rebuild. michael

Edited By terry callaghan on 20/01/2015 09:37:01

Edited By terry callaghan on 20/01/2015 09:39:51

19/01/2015 21:07:13

Hi stewart. I am working on a pansy at the moment. What you may have is the following. Looking at the locomotive backhead. Lower right hand side, water valve for injector. Middle right hand side blower valve.upper right hand side injector steam valve. On the left hand side you will have the water gauge blow down valve. Michael

Thread: What did you do today (2015)
19/01/2015 20:58:54

Worked on my loco build and sevice lift. Fitted the bearings into the lift arms and machined the fittings for the buffer keeps. Michael

Thread: Engineering as a Profession
22/12/2014 20:58:51

Its not just the school system that's wrong. its the complete lack of industry. I left school in 1973 in Bristol. there was rolls Royce, ICI, water, gas electric company's, bus company the metal works, carbon black works and the chocolate factory all looking for trainee engineers. Filton alone had around 3000 lads per years filling the tech collages. that's all gone and never to return. is it any wonder that the country is on a down ward path. lads followed their dads. now all they follow is the dole lane. sad very sad.

Thread: london transport inside cab colour
16/11/2014 17:37:18

hi chaps. can anyone please let me know the colour of the inside of the pansys used by London transport. thanks. michael

Thread: plumbing a Pansy
02/11/2014 18:31:57

Hi chaps.help needed. How is the hand pump plumbed from the l/h tank.and to which cleck valve. What are the reasons for the right hand tank to have a waterr outlet underneath and top upper side, what fits onto these two outlets.thanks.michael

Edited By Diane Carney on 03/11/2014 16:40:11

Thread: inline clack valve drawings wanted please
04/10/2014 15:33:22

hi, as anyone a drawing of an inline clack valve for a 5 inch pansy they could copy and send to me. all I can find are drawings with little in the way of measurements. michael

my email address is. **************************

Please PM if you can help (E-mail removed by JasonB)

Edited By JasonB on 05/10/2014 12:18:33

Thread: suppliers of bronze boiler valves
02/10/2014 21:05:39

I have started to make my own valves.at the moment I have machined the injector and blower valves, and the two fittings for the water gauge. I would like to make a few inline clack valves but dont have any good drawings.michael

02/10/2014 18:05:56

Its been found at my club that the hard water breaks up the cheap import brass fittings.so its much batter not to use.

01/10/2014 10:44:24

Hi.i am looking for a supplier of bronze or gun metal boiler valves. This is for a 5 inch gauge locomotive. Anyone know of a supplier.i have tried all the main ones with know luck.thanks.terry

Thread: Pansy 5" - boiler fixing
08/09/2014 17:25:24

hi, there is no cladding on the boiler, there is no room for any due to the panel work. also the boiler once in place will not move at all. I used a bit of plumbers sealer between the boiler and smoke box just to make sure it was a good seal.michael

Thread: stuck cylinders
09/07/2014 10:28:37

hi chaps, thanks again. today I was able to free off the two outside pistons. by undoing the crosshead bolts I was able to just tap lightly the piston with a bit of cut off wooden handle. there was very little sign of rust but I cleaned off what I could see with a bit of t cut and oiled the cylinders. so it looks like the inside cylinder is the fault. I need to wait until her indoors comes home so we can place the scot on its side. I have raided the house for all the old pillows, well I hope they are old. in the mean time I am going to mark all the motion gear before it gets moved about to aid correct positions when I put it all back together.michael

08/07/2014 21:23:18

Thanks chaps, so it looks like off with the motion to free the piston, then oiling well after. michael

08/07/2014 19:48:41

hi chaps, this is my bad due to forgetting to oil the cylinders after using the loco last year. My royal scot as stuck cylinders, all three. I have opened up the cylinders to see inside and there is a small amount of rust to be seen along the bore. I have tipped up the front of the loco on blocks and filled the cylinders with freeing oil.

apart from removing the motion from the cylinders and tapping the pistons lightly I am not sure of the best way to free off the cylinders. I don,t have excess to lots of heat bar propane gas. anyone had this problem and worked it out. michael

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate