By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for terry callaghan

Here is a list of all the postings terry callaghan has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Need help on sizes
06/05/2019 17:21:26

Thanks chaps

06/05/2019 17:21:26

Thanks chaps

06/05/2019 14:19:20

hi, I need some help on nut and tube sizes. The drawings state that I need the following. 3/8x32t for 1/4 pipe. 5/16x26t for 1/8 pipe and 5/16x 40 or 32t for 5/32 pipe. I can’t find any place that sells these sizes, i can make the nuts, it the tube ends I am worried about. These are for the blower and cylinder fittings inside the smoke box. What is the best way forward on this. Thanks.

Thread: Is there a way to mask silver solder
08/04/2019 13:31:40

hi out there is there a way to mask silver solder. I need to solder a bearing in place And to aline it I need to use a dumb axle. Is there a way to mask the axle from the solder. I don’t wish to end up with one solid lump. Thanks, michael

Thread: emco pc turn 55 conversion to mach3
02/03/2019 15:44:06

Mach3 is just running software, what makes or breaks the system is the breakout board. after years of fulling around with cheap rubbish from china and old PC,s running with printer ports I went for the CS=LABS CSMIO motion control unit which uses the lang port. great bit of kit and works right out of the box. I use the units on my large router and a Denford engraving machine I converted. all work with mach3 and windows 10. mach4 is too full of bugs at the moment, so happy with the software I have.michael

Thread: Denford starturn 4 lathe
21/02/2019 15:45:00

Hi, I have lots of cnc parts hanging around and have converted a few sieg mills and a roland engraver all to run on mach3 using usb ports and windows 10. I have the little unimat lathe

21/02/2019 13:15:22

thanks for your input. most of machines are older then I am, I have converted a few mills to cnc and its not as bad as some people make out.I know what you mean about small I have a very small emco and that's next to useless. I thick I will keep looking, I am in no hurry,

21/02/2019 11:14:07

hi, I am looking for a small lathe just to do odd jobs, and I have heard of a Denford starturn 4 lathe.Apart from knowing that Denford made machines for schools I have know idea if they are any good or not. I want to machine small brass fittings. is it a good machine, as I don't really wish to buy Chinese. thanks

Thread: any boiler testers out there
09/08/2018 16:42:39

I am trying to use a boiler which is new, made in tens of thousands for kids toys. yet know one can inform me if I need a further test to use at my club or not. the boiler tester at the club is so full of red tape and as know engineering skill at all and is afraid of doing anything. I asked wilisco about their boilers and here is their reply. all Wilesco toy steam boilers have pressure release of 15psi (1 bar) which is less than a bike tyre or tap water pressure and is not considered dangerous.

the boilers are however stamped with the European test code needed for small boilers. if I had a pond larger then my fish pond I would use that. but that's not the point. the point is that due to the SF coming up with total nonsense on LPB know one as any idea what is right or wrong. all I want to do is play boats with a few other like minded people. why is it so bloody hard to do. I have tried contacting all the so say officers of the SF and have had know reply. if they don't know, they bloody should do. sorry for the strong words, but I am sick of it.

t

09/08/2018 13:25:37

thanks for getting back Ian. as to common sense that as long gone from this hobby. My understanding is if the boiler is new and not home made it does not need a test as it meets a standard set higher then any club test. I am happy for the safety valve to be checked that makes good sense. but the rest is plain nonsense and red tape for red tapes sake.

by asking me to fit a safety valve which would mean modifying the boiler to my mind is pointless as it leads to a number of questions later. my leaving the boiler as it was designed in the first place makes far more sense.

is this an issue of boiler testers taking things to far and the new codes for LPB just being unfit for purpose.

yours pi.. ed off.

09/08/2018 04:47:47

hi, this is a question for any boiler testers out there. I have a small live steam boat and its fitted with a Wilesco boiler which in turn is fitted with one safety valve. the boiler is under 3 bar, is brand new and works at under 20 psi. In fact there is more pressure in a coke can.

OK under the new 2018 SF code does this boiler need any of the following to gets its ( to my mind completely unnecessary club boiler test at this size)

1. a pressure gauge, as none is fitted from new and there is no location for one.

2. any thing else then a look over.

I have read the new code book and its just full of grey areas I give up.

thanks, michael

Thread: 3.5 inch Britannia
08/04/2018 18:40:20

Hi. I have the build notes for the britannia, and I am putting back together one. Happy to help out if I can.I have pm my email address. Michael

Thread: 3.5 gauge Britannia regulator
20/03/2017 09:33:37

hi chaps, I am trying to restore a 3.5 gauge Britannia and need a bit of help. can anyone please let me know how much movement there should be in the regulator. I have removed the boiler for inspection and also the regulator which was stuck in the closed position due to lime build up. Now I have washed the regulator out and replaced the bend control rod, I see that I have less then a 1/4 turn of movement of the rod. is this correct ??? the build notes don't give much detail on how much movement is good or bad. I don't wish to refit and then find I have got it wrong as its a lot of work to get to it again.

thanks. michael

Thread: what have i done wrong
15/12/2016 15:33:43

hi martin, I don't think I have ever come across a need to use a boring bar on the outside surface, just use a lathe. with the rdg boring head, the head just starts to unscrew itself if you used the wrong way. I see know use for the opposite hand cutters at all, and they are useless in the rdg head.

but someone may know more. michael

Thread: help with William needed
15/12/2016 13:07:14

thanks chaps. so let me get this correct in my mind. the fitting is an open tube treaded into the top of the regulator tube and cut to allow 1/4 inch space in dome.

NJH. I have the chassis completed, most of the cab, tanks etc. will buy some parts pre laser cut to save time. invertor for the lathe packed up so waiting for new one to turn up to start build again.

terry

15/12/2016 09:59:07

Hi.i need help with the regulator on a william locomotive I am working on.i have the book by martin evans on the rob roy and william build, but sad to say in many areas its next to useless and this is one of the areas, under the boiler dome you can access the top of the regulator to fit the a pipe into the treaded hole you made in the regulator.however it does not say what this pipe is or give any details and the drawing to my mind is useless. Can anyone who knows about this boiler please help me out on this point please.thanks terry

Thread: what have i done wrong
15/12/2016 09:51:39

Thanks chaps, yes I had the wrong side cutters send. More delay added to the job.

14/12/2016 20:28:16

thanks for feel back, what a pain. I need to do one job with this think and now need to make new tooling for it to work, which means trying to get tool steel over the holidays. more time wasted, I should of looked at the thing longer before trying to use and send it back as unfit. michael

14/12/2016 20:16:53

hi, I purchased a boring head and some tooling for it from rdg tools. the thing is that when I put the cutting into the head the cutting face is the wrong way round to the cutting face. my milling machine is a tom senior e type and the mill cuts clock wise, but the boring head only works anti clock wise. is this normal ?

Thread: CNC'ing a SX2P mill
13/12/2016 18:24:37

hi, is there any update on this build. are the motors in, is it complete. would like to know. michael

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest