By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for terry callaghan

Here is a list of all the postings terry callaghan has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Unsolicited email from SOLIDWORKS
07/07/2019 12:50:53

Bazyle, I must say the current costs of these cad programs are eye watering. I was very lucky to get the program before it all went on cloud. My understanding is that the best hobby program is fusion 360 which is free for hobby users. I use fusion for the g code as there is no way I can afford the solidworks g code writer, I would not pay the mad asking price if I could. University’s in this country now are just so removed from real life these days it’s so very sad.

Thread: In need of a steel ring 132mm dia
07/07/2019 12:44:00

Thanks chaps, sorted now.

07/07/2019 10:19:41

Thanks, but the problem is that I can’t find anyone who sells tube the dia I want with a good wall thickness. And they all have a min length I need to buy if they did.

Thread: Unsolicited email from SOLIDWORKS
07/07/2019 09:27:49

It took me a year to get my head around solidworks, and now it’s my go to cad program. So far I used it to 3d print a WW2 two man chariot submarine for radio control. A rosebud grate for two of my locomotives. Making the drawings for a 1:6 scale whippet tank I am building, making the drawings for two radio control submarines and many more projects. I wasted so much time with the likes of turbocad and I just can,t get my head around auto cad which I also have. I think it is just a question of what works for you.

Thread: In need of a steel ring 132mm dia
07/07/2019 09:20:02

hi, the time as long gone when I could find most of the material I needed in the scrap skips outside most manufacturing companies. I now find myself needing a 132mm Dia by 15mm steel ring. But how no idea where to look. I know it will need to be rolled out, but it’s far too much for my slip rollers to deal with as the ring needs to take a thread so needs to be 5mm thick or more. The companies my way are not interested or are asking silly money. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks

Thread: Hot water from the snifting valve,
06/07/2019 08:07:32

Hi, thanks for all your input chaps. Before I do anything else I am going to get someone just to double check my work on the regulator. And then will try again if that’s ok. Will keep you all updated.

05/07/2019 21:21:34

Thanks for letting me know. An hour good god that’s some time.

05/07/2019 20:46:14

Which it is at the moment, but not so lovely,lols

05/07/2019 19:59:42

Hi, yes it’s been six years and I have not done a thing with it. I did however get crohns in these six years and thinks health wise went down hill fast. More even keel now so trying to play catch up. I have today tried the loco on air and found a few massive air leaks around the chack fitting and the feed tube to the right hand cylinder. I stopped the test at this point. I think you are correct in that I maybe hoping that it would come to life faster, but I have always been in a hurry. The pressure gauge was tested along with the boiler last year so I no both are ok. The fault lays with the air leaks and my total lack of patience.

05/07/2019 13:46:03

Thanks for showing interest. I think that I have got all the airflow I can get around the grate area, it was not very good before. I am sure I have the regulator correct, if I blow into it and close the valves there is no leak at all. But what worries me is there is very little movement of the cam arm less then a 1/4 turn for sure. I am just unsure of how much control it would give. And it would be a total pain to get it all back in place to take it all apart again.

05/07/2019 08:27:16

I have no idea at all.

04/07/2019 22:10:42

Will do

04/07/2019 21:22:20

Hi, thanks for interest, it’s not my first loco, as I have around five. But this one I have never steamed. The blower is blowing hard. My question really was re the snifting valve, why should water be coming from it.

04/07/2019 20:44:54

It’s on the electric blower, gauge is ok as I tested it on a second loco. The snifting valve is connected to the superheater did not play with regulator

04/07/2019 20:03:09

hi all. I am having problems getting my Columbia to steam up. I have checked and rechecked the smokebox is sealed and the blower is blowing hard and so on. The water is at the half gauge mark and even after half an hour I have no pressure but a very hot boiler. Today I saw hot water mixed with a bit of light steam coming from the snifting valve, as I am not sure this is a good sign I pulled the fire. Both the boiler and the superheater have been pressure tested at two times working pressure. So is the lack of pressure linked to the water coming out the snifting valve, if so could the regulator be at fault. What do I need to check step by step.thanks

Thread: Help needed with regulator body control arm.
22/05/2019 10:53:53

Hi chaps. I am trying to figure out how to make the regulator control arm work. In the drawing it shows the arm at 3.5 inches long. But if I made it that long I would not be able to fit the smoke box onto the boiler. The control arm is 1/8th dia. My thinking is to split the control arm into two sections, but how I would reconnect once the smoke box is in place I just don,t no. Is there a better idea or a work around for this. The smoke box is of heavy gauge rolled steel . The loco is martins Evans Columbia 3.5 gauge loco. Thanks

Thread: French model Engineers
09/05/2019 18:24:27

Speedy, there are many french who like the brits, but some who do not. I just stated a fact.

09/05/2019 16:44:17

I have lived there, have you?... it’s nothing nasty, just a fact, and I am grown up enough to deal with facts, so unlike many people today.

09/05/2019 11:24:32

Phil, if you are not getting feed back from the forums, I would go in person to a meeting. It as to be said that a few french just don’t like brits.

09/05/2019 10:55:56

Hi, I owned a house just outside st-lo Normandy for 15 years, never did meet anyone who was interested in railways. The chap I purchased the house from made Rc boats, but he had to use them in the houses garden pond as there was nothing in the area. There is a good classic motorbike club, and arc aircraft club. Pity because they have lots of open land for a good club. However there are some great clubs in Germany, and I was always made very welcome when I took an engine.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest