By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for terry callaghan

Here is a list of all the postings terry callaghan has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: safety valves
25/09/2013 16:18:35

Hi chaps.i am trying to adjust two new safety valves.the thing is that when they get hot they lock up and I can, t adjust them.is there anything I can put on the treads to stop them locking so I can adjust when they are hot.thanks, michael

Thread: tom senior m1 arbour
23/09/2013 22:34:37

Hi chaps.can anyone who owns a tom senior please let me if the arbour should have a keyway in it.i cant work out what holds the cutting wheel in place.my arbour does not have a keyway, and I was told that pressure on the side of the cutter face keeps it in place.this cant be right can it . Michael

Thread: making a 3.5 inch boiler
19/09/2013 12:32:01

Hi, I think that mapp gas would soon run out, I have looked at my inbox and can, t see any messages.michael

18/09/2013 20:28:30

Thanks for the offer.when you say you tiq welded the boiler.what was the process and the equipment you used.I am in somerset, would love to take you up on your offer, but as a new boy feel that I would drive you mad.Michael

Thread: Columbia and Canterbury Lamb Locomotives
17/09/2013 15:34:00

Hi, if you send me your email address I can take some pictures and send them to you.Michael

Thread: making a 3.5 inch boiler
17/09/2013 12:50:57

Hi chaps, with the price of cylinder rentals being a major factor in my no longer having excess to oxy gas.I wonder if someone could let me know if the following would be ok for the making of a 3.5 copper boiler.I am thinking of using a propane touch with a forge.or should I go for a compressed air and propane touch and forge.what are your views.also if I do ok with the 3.5 inch boiler, I may try to make a 5 inch one.gain what way is best.michael

Thread: is this all getting very expensive
17/09/2013 12:43:11

My wife thinks its a way of wasting money.Michael

Thread: tom senior m1 milling machine
16/09/2013 20:01:16

Thanks thor, just what I was looking for.also thanks geoff, if I may ask you to send pics to me direct. PM me for e-mail address

E-mail address removed to stop spammers by JasonB

Edited By JasonB on 10/01/2015 16:01:11

Thread: is this all getting very expensive
16/09/2013 19:58:36

Hi chaps.I need a new boiler for a 7 1.2 rainhill locomotive. So far prices for a copper boiler have been around 2 to 3000 pounds for copper and around 400 less for steel. With only propane gas at home I don, t think I will have the heat needed to make one.so it looks like this loco will be display only.so my question is. Is there a less expensive way of keeping this loco rolling.michael

Thread: tom senior m1 milling machine
16/09/2013 13:14:15

Hi chaps, I am in need of much help.I have a tom senior milling machine and have no idea how to fit the tooling for the horizontal head.I have lots of tooling. But need help to get this mill working. Can anyone guide me in settingthis up.thanks, miMichael

Thread: what gauges did the country of cornwall get made
13/09/2013 11:52:53

Thanks neil

12/09/2013 17:19:04

Hi, can anyone please let me know what gauges the county of cornwall was made in please.and what design was it, thanks.Michael

Thread: 3.5 black five or Doris wanted
11/09/2013 21:03:00

I would but I don't think anyone reads them.michael

11/09/2013 11:51:28

Hi.I am looking to purchase a 3.5 gauge black 5 or a doris.must be in good running condition and in club test. Email me if you have an engine or no of one for sale.thanks.michael

Email address, terry1956@btinternet.com

Thread: polly 4 injector playing up
09/09/2013 18:42:51

Hi mike, after a lot of playing around I found that one of the feed nuts was breaking up allowing air into the injector. Have it all working now.thanks for your reply.michael

31/08/2013 18:52:33

Hi chaps, much help needed.my injector was not picking up at all.so I fitted a new 18oz injector (this is a new reeves unit I had knocking around).the flow pipe from the tender to the valve is copper 1/8 pipe, the ball valve is also 1/8 bore.from the valve to the loco is a clear section of tubing which mates to a three inch copper pipe that connects to the injector. I have good flow of water at the injector overflow.ok when the engine is in steam and pressure is around 70 to 80psi.I turn the water on first, then the steam.the injector will not pick up and I see that steam pressure is stopping the flow of water from the tender (I can see the water start to flow back into the tender when looking at the clear tube). If I knock off the steam valve water starts to flow again.when I turn on the steam valve its around a 1/4 turn.as anyone any ideas.michael

Thread: Karlrule 3013
14/08/2013 15:57:56

I am planning to take my royal scot to the show in 2014.just sorting out the paperwork, and so on.some great beer and food to be had in germany.and I hope to see some great locomotives.michael

Thread: B1 5 inch gauge locomotive
30/06/2013 08:42:28

Thanks chaps, What i have is a part made loco, frame is complete and so is the boiler, smoke box, firebox etc. I will not be starting on this for a few months as I have my scot to repaint. But is this a winson kit ??? did winson do kits for the B1 ???. My understanding is that the plans available are very poor reproductions full of mistakes ( why do we put up with this i don,t know) If anyone as a set they don,t need anymore please let me know.

I think that I am going to work in the following way. as said the boiler is complete so I will have the club inspector have a look and see if he is happy with its build, pressure test it, etc. then measure all items and make sure they fit, work as they should. lots of pictures of the procest and if all ok, carry on and complete the build over the winter. thanks for the heads up on the mistakes. michael

29/06/2013 15:32:23

Hi, can anyone please let me know if winson made a B1 kit. I have a B1 part made loco, along with a few bits in a box was a winson bag of nuts. My understanding is that these kits needed a lot of work to make well. Can anyone know if I can get a set of plans for this loco. Also are there any pointers on building the B1 on line.thanks for reading, michael

Thread: riding behind a 3.5 gauge locomotive
15/05/2013 17:38:24

hi chaps for some mad reason i now own a 3.5 gauge locomotive. my riding car is for 5 gauge.before i hit the rails which are set for both gauges. i would like to ask if i could use my 5 gauge riding car or not. i have some fear of the car not tracking as it should. what are your views.Michael

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate