By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for terry callaghan

Here is a list of all the postings terry callaghan has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: I would like to fit an injector
15/12/2013 18:44:34

Hi, chaps.i have an old 5 inch gauge locomotive which as boiler feeds for axle and hand pump only.i would like to fit an injector as there is a lot of stationary time at my local club.i dont wish to cut into the boiler if possable.would it be ok to use the handpump input to boiler.fitting an inline none return valve on the handpump outlet side just before the injector feed to the boiler.what are your views on this thanks.michael

Thread: ts-modelldampfmaschinen
12/12/2013 08:32:07

Frank, I have been asked to take my boiler test papers for their man to look at, I think that others will be asked to do the same. From what I have seen on utube there is a lot of electric locos being run inside and a lot of the larger gauge steam locos outside. I like german beer, and also the look of the german locomotives with their red wheels etc. also beats doing nothing during a cold January.michael

Thread: workshop heating
11/12/2013 14:22:34

Over the past few weeks I have been insulation the garage which is my workshop. I was able to get some second hand slab insulation off ebay.This sorted out the walls and celling. plasterboard and a coat of white paint made it all lighter. for heating I use a oil radiator set to a low background heat. I find this worked out well. I think that with all things including halogen heaters, looks and brand names play apart in the asking price. michael

Thread: ts-modelldampfmaschinen
11/12/2013 14:15:01

Karlsuruhe is on next January. I am taking the caravan as there is camping on the site. will with luck be steaming around the track. been told by a few members of this site that its very cold inside the buildings. I am looking forward to seeing some german steam engines in action. michael

Thread: New Steel Boiler for under 200
07/12/2013 23:46:01

Having read this I to will be having ago at making a boiler in steel for my old 7 1/4 gauge invicta.i have been in contact with a local company that can test the welds and are able to provide the correct paperwork etc.just to check my welding before hand I will dye test them first myself.i plan to start this project around feb next year after I have checked the plans in solidworks.michael

06/12/2013 12:29:36

I hope so.if the welds have been all tested I see know reason why it should not pass.using steel to make the boiler is cheaper then copper, and tig welding in my view a lot safer for home use then blow torches and the very high levels of heat needed.michael

05/12/2013 23:46:30

Is this post dead, one of the most interesting on this forum for some time

03/12/2013 13:56:52

I think you have done a great job.and yes there are far to many armchair pundits on the forum.i would be interested in knowing more re this project.first when do you plan to get a club test.and second.i have a 7 11/4 invicta and the old copper boiler is shot.over the past few weeks I have been asking re prices for a replacement boiler.copper comes in at just over 2500 pounds, a steel one at just over 1500 pounds.a invicta will never recover the price in a million years.so as an ex welder I can see a few weeks getting back in the grove and a new tig welder in the workshop.pleaee keep us all informed on updates, I am very interested and I sure many others are as well.michael

Thread: eBAY Charges
22/11/2013 07:18:49

Its not just the fees, its the number of scammers.i sold a push bike on ebay.the bike was collection only.the chap picked it up, then started a claim saying that the bike was not new.ebay just returned the chaps money out of my account.so I had no bike, and no money.i wonder how many times he has played that game.michael

Thread: How do you fight workshop/shed condensation
12/11/2013 21:38:26

I have been using dehumidifiers for years. over 20 years ago I worked for a paper storage company and they held masses od docs from insurance companies, banks etc. the holding site was an old corrugated roof warehouse block. there was no heating and just around 10 small dehumidifiers. They worked. I also have used one to keep my motorhome fittings dry and its been preforming that duty for 9 years with no faults. I can,t see how they are expensive to run, they only work when they need to. as to temp never found that to be an issue. After fitting the insulation the workshop never drops that low.

12/11/2013 20:23:13
Posted by daveb on 12/11/2013 19:55:37:

Be careful with the dehumidifers, dry air can cause irritation of the nose and throat and mummification of everything else.

if the room, workshop what ever is a sealed place then yes. most workshops including mine are far from it. the dehumidifier is only plugged in last thing as I leave so never in anyway harmful. michael

12/11/2013 19:49:59

Hi, I have insulated the workshop which helped.but last year there was signs of rust on machined surfaces. This year I added a small dehumidifier plumbed to release the water outside.at the begaining of using the dehumidifier water was pouring out most of the day.these days next to nothing.no more rust, and the newspaper always forgotten remains dry.the cost of running is very low as the machine only starts up if needed.michael

Thread: is this paperwork still ok
26/10/2013 21:21:30

Thanks chaps

Thread: Columbia Locomotive and Tender
26/10/2013 17:25:10

Hi, mark.please send me your email address to me direct.terry1956@btinternet.com

Thread: I am looking for any information on the martin evans columbia
24/10/2013 00:14:14

Sorry ady1, missed your point completely.

23/10/2013 22:40:23

Hi, I had a look at the back issues, could not see anything in detal re the build, just odd bits on the wheels, sand boxes etc.will take a further look.it maybe that I need to look at building a frame to allow me to turn the loco over to get to the underside.michael

23/10/2013 14:41:23

Hi chaps, went to my local club today and dug out the old copies of ME. Well this was a total waste of time.a introduction to the model type, a bit on the sand boxes and wheels and thats it.not much of a series, just a start an end and not much in the middle.

I need to take the boiler out of the frames for inspection, and was hoping for information on the boiler . Michael

21/10/2013 20:46:46

Hi chaps.i am re commissioning a martin evans columbia.i understand that this engine was written about in model engineering between 1978-80. As anyone out there old copies of these articles that they could send me, or anything else on this locomotive. Thanks.michael

Thread: is this paperwork still ok
21/10/2013 20:40:31

Hi chaps I am trying to recommissione a 3.5 gauge columbia.as many of you will know its a large engine and I don, t really wish to remove the boiler if I don't need to.the thing is that as far as boiler history goes all I have is the original bill of sale from swindon boilers.along with the bill of sale I also have acopy of swindon boilers first hydhydrostatic boiler test at 2x working pressure. This is dated 1997.this leads me onto my question, will a boiler inspector want the boiler out for inspection (a lot of work ) or will the boiler justneed testing at 1.5 x working pressure. Michael

Thread: Warwickshire Show.
19/10/2013 21:14:54

This year was my first time at the show.and I was disappointed. Many of the club displays were unmanned, so I could not ask anyone about their displayed locomotives.the smell of gas, meths or whatever the gauge one chaps use was very strong, and was making me and a few others a little sick due to poor ventilation. As always the tools for sale was the overpriced rubbish from god knows where.i understand that some traders had to pay over 8000 pounds for a stand, no wonder their was nothing in the way of bargains to be had.the few chairs available outside made eatting out a bit of a waitting game.don, t think I will go again.michael

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest