By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for speelwerk

Here is a list of all the postings speelwerk has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Twisting brass wire
09/09/2017 15:02:53

The official label on the 0.8 mm wire reads "ijzerdraad, messing" which translates as "ironwire, brass", another seller labelled it as copperwire. Niko.

08/09/2017 15:02:01

Finally got it as wished, problem was the wire, the 0.7 mm on sale here was very hard, changed to 0.8 mm which is readily available. Almost every DIY market in France has 0.7 mm which is made by Filiac, but it seems not to cross their border only the thicker size. Niko.

Thread: Swaging, crimping and peening
07/09/2017 14:38:58

It looks to me the problem is the correct material, even if you anneal the brass normaly used in machining it will crack if you try to deform it that much. Why Mr. Penman makes use of a extra bush for fitting a wheel on to a pinion is me not clear. If everyting is supported and lined up correctly you can force the pinion direct into the wheel. This for small and thin wheels or for larger wheels. An old way to fit wheels onto pinions is to force the brass of the wheel into the pinion teeth, but for that method the modern brass is also to hard. Niko.

Edited By speelwerk on 07/09/2017 14:41:52

Thread: Twisting brass wire
06/09/2017 19:35:17

Thanks for all advice, as it turned out I am not a good "twister". It is usuable what I made today but certainly not what I had in mind. Niko.

05/09/2017 22:55:12

I have to twist two lengths of ca. 1 meter of 0.7 mm brass wire. I annealed it before trying but still it is not as even twist as I would like to have, perhaps someone with more knowledge can give me a little help. Niko.

Thread: Swaging, crimping and peening
05/09/2017 11:55:20

In musical box governors hardened-tempered steel pinions needs to be fitted very securely on to the their brass wheels. For that the part of the pinion that is pressed in too the bore of the wheel is larger in diameter, 0.5 mm or more. The turned down teeth of the pinion that is pressed in the wheel act as cutters. Everything needs to be lined up square and the pinion centered with a bush and pressed into the wheel with a staking tool or a press if you have larger wheels, a vice is not accurate enough. After that the pinion is riveted on the otherside to make the fit definitive. Most important is that everything is as square and accurate as possible and the brass wheel has good support. Niko.

Edited By speelwerk on 05/09/2017 11:59:51

Thread: Pinning topslide on ML7/Super 7
05/09/2017 09:43:02

Using an adaptor plate of the same dimensions as the taper cone of the topslide, the clamping force is strong enough to hold a swiveling vertical slide with dividing atachment in place. Usually the wheels I cut are small and this works better for me then clamping the vertical slide the normal way. Niko.

Edited By speelwerk on 05/09/2017 09:47:21

Thread: Myford Super 7 Lathe - early style Clutch
31/08/2017 14:38:33

I cannot remember ever in need of use of that clutch for the last 40 years, so if you can make the drive permanently you probably have solved your problem. Niko.

Thread: ALBA 2S NC Shaper FINALLY complete
25/08/2017 21:32:26
Posted by Joseph Noci 1 on 24/08/2017 18:57:58:

The main drive V belts still have no cover - I will see if I make a cover later - I quite like the big pulley turning round and round..

That is beautiful work but do make that drive belt cover, I still remember when my fingers made a turn between the belt and the pulley of a shaper. Niko.

Thread: RDG Graduated Imperial Handwheel for ML7
23/08/2017 01:35:26

The original Myford metric handwheel has 159 divisions, which makes it not pleasant to use. Niko.

Thread: Would you buy a second hand laptop computer ?
17/08/2017 14:50:44

If a cheap new one makes it more then 2 years by me it is long, hinges give usually the first trouble and altough new hinges are cheap they are not easy replaced. On the other hand a very good quality secondhand which even was a little cheaper than a "junk" new one is still working fine. Niko.

Thread: 1/6" x 28tpi tap & die.
16/08/2017 18:57:20

Phil, thank you for your offer but I have that one with corresponding die. I did consider going to M5 but the washer only had a bore of 4.6 mm, and being made from that very hard and brittle material are not easy enlarged. Niko.

16/08/2017 14:44:31

OK, not the greatest engineering event making 10 screws of 1/6" x 28, but musical box restoration is much donkey work before it gets interesting, on the rigth is one of the damaged original screws. Asked a quote for a special made die, if they give it will I let it know. Niko.

one sixth x 28.jpg

13/08/2017 11:25:05

Yes Phil, those are the comb screws, you would like to keep it as original as possible but they can have had a hard live giving you no other option then to make slightly larger sized ones. The 0.32 & 0.38 mm module is another of those problems, you can try this one **LINK** . I use a 19th century rounding-up machine and cutters to make it mesh the other gear in the governor. It goes a little over 0.40 mm modern module but the Swiss must also have had rounding-up machines for large size wheels, but sofar never found one. I think your loft will look similar to mine. Niko.

Edited By speelwerk on 13/08/2017 11:26:01

Edited By speelwerk on 13/08/2017 11:27:22

12/08/2017 22:34:47

Thanks for the help, however it is a full form thread. Niko.

12/08/2017 21:16:03

It must be some kind of Swiss size from 1870. It is used much in musical boxes from that period. Many times the thread on the screw is gone and I have to thread cut new ones which takes too much time or use an oversize which is not ideal. Niko.

12/08/2017 20:56:23
Posted by JasonB on 12/08/2017 20:51:49:

Do you mean 1/4" x 28 as that would be UNF?

No, I am looking for 1/6" x 28, if it exists.

12/08/2017 20:45:50

Perhaps someone knows a supplier for tap & die 1/6" x 28 tpi. I have tried to find one with no luck. Niko.

Thread: Which oil for blueing steel screws?
23/07/2017 21:40:35

You can use water, it is only for stopping the colour from running further, the only advantage of oil is that the steel will not rust if you forget to remove the water. Niko.

Thread: polishing clock plates
16/07/2017 22:34:26

Leave the plates a little oversized, polish them to mirror finish, aply a tape to protect the surfaces as good as possible, then cut them to size and drill and tap the holes. Niko.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne oct 2019
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest