By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for speelwerk

Here is a list of all the postings speelwerk has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Coronavirus
19/03/2020 20:19:40

For almost 40 years now I work from home, but it has never been with such a strange feeling as now, and this is only the begin, who know's where it ends. Niko.

Thread: 15,000 for a Bridgeport!
14/03/2020 22:19:47
Posted by Jeff Dayman on 14/03/2020 20:36:19:

Anyone know how Mr Jordan is these days? Hope he is still around.

Re the 30% commission - just think of all the hard heavy work the auction house would have had to put into the photos and description, and arranging a sale room venue.......er....... maybe NOT so much effort! Hose the client until they can bear no more! Mind you anyone who can pony up 15,000 UK pounds for such a model might not need the 30% for weiners and beans next week.

If you think this sort of sale price / commission is out of whack, have a look at vintage motorcycles - the Vincent and Brough ones are going for over 100,000 UK pounds these days. Absurd, and only for the very very rich.

It is not only the buyer who pays commission, 15% of the hammer price for the vendor is normal. Niko.

Thread: Mini Benchtop Lathe Dilemma
07/03/2020 14:35:15

Agree with Howard, not knowing your budget and space available but perhaps a slanted bed lathe would be more practical for you, not cheap but something like a used Hembrug Ergonomic or a Weiler Ergodur. Niko.

Thread: Coronavirus
05/03/2020 14:48:35
Posted by Samsaranda on 05/03/2020 14:28:46:

Toilet paper is apparently in short supply as everyone panics, I hear that soaps are also on the shortages list , is this because an element of the population who rarely if ever used it are now going to be washing their hands ?
Dave W

As alternative you can take a roll of kitchen paper and cut in half, good excuse to go to the workshop and use the bandsaw. Niko.

Thread: PayPal scam?
07/02/2020 21:58:24

Yesterday I successfully changed my old PayPal main mail address in the new one I have. That is not straight forward because to change one address you must have 2 registered mail addresses, both checked with your mobile phone number. This evening I received a "PayPal" message on my old mail address to check my account. If you click on the login link in the mail you are directed to a page that looks like the PayPal homepage and if you then go the login you are directed to a very weird looking login page, nowhere close to the genuine one.

Your old mail address already entered, that of your password vacant, that was the moment I stopped. Niko

Thread: Why does everyone disagree with you
27/01/2020 14:48:44
Posted by Swarf, Mostly! on 27/01/2020 14:35:50:

The first is the confusion between arbor and arbour. An arbour is a clump of bushes with a garden seat in its middle.

For me English is not my first language, I do check several times my writing before posting but mistakes are easily made. As long as we remember that we al like working with our hands then (or is it than?) for me it is no problem. Niko.

Thread: Opinion on using blue Loctite (thread locker) on clocks?
24/01/2020 21:09:36

You can use a torque wrench to prevent overtightening but that perhaps is a bit overdone in a clock, as is Loctite. Niko.

Thread: Cutting teeth on a spur gear
17/01/2020 22:29:06

Sauerbier **LINK** lists in there "tandwiel"catalogue **LINK** with order number AE5844-08 a brass one of M0.5 mm with 8 teeth and OD of 5 mm, heigth is 2 mm, for only 3.30 euro. Niko.

Edited By speelwerk on 17/01/2020 22:30:07

Thread: Musings on taps
16/01/2020 22:46:04

Perhaps it is only here in the Netherlands but I am shocked at the prices I have to pay for small sizes taps. I returned the M1.4 mm Bergeon ones when they arrived with an invoice of 98 euro ex. VAT. Ordered the same size from another supplier for 30 euro ex. VAT, made by Ritter which used to be a good German mark, they work but at close inspection are crudely made. Niko.

Thread: magic 127 TOOTH ?
11/01/2020 19:20:20

Why did they made 1 inch equal to 25.4 mm, would 25.6 mm not be a better choice, or was it done deliberately to make conversion difficult? Niko

Edited By speelwerk on 11/01/2020 19:25:21

Thread: New legislation that could affect us all.
08/01/2020 12:28:26

There's also an EU directive expected on the replacement of lids on beverage storage vessels.

Neil

After 31ste of January the UK can bin all the EU directives. Niko.

Thread: Making a superglue chuck adapter for brass wheel
24/12/2019 11:23:38

I do not use a wax chuck since most of the time it can be done a different way but here is someone who does: **LINK** . About the concentric circles he writes : "the grooves allow the shellac to enter and bind the work piece to the chuck" , which I think is total nonsens. Niko.

Thread: What to use on my Sherline mill to round off pinion wire leafs
14/12/2019 10:20:47

What I found on clock fairs is too small for my use but being cheap just bougth it. This older thread is perhaps also of interest **LINK** . I cannot see myself acurate making large correctings to pinion leafs with a file, if needed it is better to make a new one the correct size. Niko.

Edited By speelwerk on 14/12/2019 10:21:40

Edited By speelwerk on 14/12/2019 10:24:44

13/12/2019 22:46:42
Posted by roy entwistle on 13/12/2019 21:57:36:

The Module or DP would be wrong . you can get away with .5 Mod but that's about it How do you know what the diameter should be? If it's just one pinion then I would use a file

Roy

Never tried and perhaps in a clock you can get away with .5 Mod, but is it not .05 you mean since in a musical box governor it would wear out the corresponding wheel in record time. Niko.

Thread: Where to find these larger staking punches?
10/12/2019 16:59:24

Yes, that is of interest, thanks Michael.

Niko.

10/12/2019 12:42:13

A little of topic but I have never seen a staking tool for larger diameter punches or is that due to my poor eye sight? They all seem to be for 4.7 mm diameter punches which is not a very handy choice, 5.0 mm would be much more practical. Niko.

Thread: What is it?
06/12/2019 12:15:39

It is for opening watchcases, see**LINK** Niko.

Thread: Back saw for cutting steel and brass?
27/11/2019 14:31:38

When multiple heads come next to each other in a row I use a slitting saw to make the slots, it is a much neater sight when they are identical. With only one screw head a piercing saw with the correct blade thickness will do fine. If the head becomes very small when the thread is below M 1.0 a piercing saw with the smallest thickness of blade is best to use. A screw-head file is much too wide that work. Niko.

Thread: Uhrenindustriemuseum Villingen, Germany.
23/10/2019 21:40:21

Last week traveling in Germany I visited the "Uhrenindustriemuseum" in Villingen-Schwenningen **LINK** . It is in the old Kienzle factory which closed in 1985. Most of the machines from around 1920 are still present and working. Best to bring ear protection to limit the noise if you take the tour which is done by old workers. The one in the picture makes the hammers for a alarm clock. Niko.

img_5521.jpg

Edited By speelwerk on 23/10/2019 21:47:19

Thread: Metal Shear - info request
05/10/2019 13:04:09

This dealer **LINK** states for the same type but for a width of 600 mm for steel a max. thickness of 1.6 mm, stainless 1.25 mm and alu 2.5 mm. Niko.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest