By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for GaryM

Here is a list of all the postings GaryM has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Stuart 'Victoria' : a beginners tale..
14/10/2013 09:29:12

Maybe it's like trying to ride a bike slowly (as in mountain biking). If you apply the brakes when pedalling it is easier to ride very slowly. It sounds odd, but it works. Although, that is more like putting a brake on the flywheel.

Gary

Thread: What did you do today? (2013)
13/10/2013 23:53:39

Had my first go at turning between centres for the S50 con rod. The surface finish is abysmal. This is the worst turning I've done since I got the lathe 18 months ago.

con rod 1.jpg

con rod 2.jpg

I made sure the tool was on centre height, and tried a right-hand knife tool, a left-hand knife tool (going the other way), and a threading tool which was probably too pointed. What is the correct tool shape when reducing a diameter between two larger ends? I've tried searching forums and couldn't find anything relevant. Do others just swap tools and try to minimise the join in the middle. Or is a round nosed tool better?

Oh and by the way, Jason, this thread is the best one on the forum and the one I always read. Thanks for thinking of it.

Gary

Thread: Stuart 'Victoria' : a beginners tale..
13/10/2013 09:33:18

Hi Allan,

I've been following your build log from the beginning. It has a lot of similarities to the S50 I'm building although the Victoria is larger and more complex. You are dealing with many of the same problems I am, so the comments and suggestions are proving useful. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Gary

Thread: Stuart S50 - choice of thread
12/10/2013 23:43:07
Posted by Lambton on 12/10/2013 12:23:17:

... I guess the reason is that the courser thread will be less likely to strip when tightening up the steam pipes/unions....

Eric

Thanks Eric. As Geoff suggested, that is probably the reason. I might ask Polly Models why they are much dearer but buy one from Reeves as they are half the price.

On a separate note, can anyone recommend a book that covers steam pipes and fittings. None of the books I've bought since starting model engineering seem to cover this area. K. N. Harris's book 'Model Boilers and Boilermaking' is on my shopping list for next week, so that might be the one to buy.

Gary

11/10/2013 23:31:19

Thanks for the input, Geoff.

Thread: The tool ya gotta have!
11/10/2013 23:04:46

Beginner, like you Rick. I'd say my 6" flexible steel rule. One of the first things I bought and still use it all the time.

Gary

Thread: Stuart S50 - choice of thread
11/10/2013 20:58:27

Thanks for the reply Norman, but as Jason has pointed out I've already got the taps and die, I was just curious why they had chosen that size. I'll probably buy one anyway at the Midlands show next week. I'm not sure my machining skills are up to making one at the moment but I might give it a go if I can figure out the dimensions or find a drawing of one.

Gary

11/10/2013 14:03:01
Hi,

I'm gradually making a Stuart S50 engine. I've drilled and tapped the steam pipe inlet and exhaust ports 1/4" x 32 as stated on the drawings. I now find that most of the pipe unions available are threaded 1/4" x 40. If 1/4" x 32 unions are available then they are about double the price (in one example £8.40 for one). Does anyone know why this is the case and why Stuart chose to use a different thread than what appears to be the norm. I realise I should have checked first as then I could have drilled and tapped 1/4" x 40. Obviously I will just buy one but I'm curious why.

Thanks for any ideas.
Gary
Thread: New Look
02/10/2013 23:34:04

Just my two penn'orth but I think the new look is an improvement, much cleaner looking, easy to find what I want. Works well in Chrome on PC and Dolphin on Android tablet. Also, Katy is to be commended for her attitude in trying to sort out the complaints. Now, lets get back to the engineering.

Gary

02/10/2013 22:47:44

It's not Bonfire Night for another month, John.

Gary

Thread: The Best of Model Engineer Volume 3 Now available
21/09/2013 23:58:05

I assume you mean the 11th, Keith. I think I'll give it until the end of the week before trying to chase it up. Might be that the despatch date is fictitious. Wouldn't surprise me.

Gary

21/09/2013 22:03:29

Same here Keith. Ordered 30th Aug, myhobbystore says despatched by Royal Mail on 11th Sept. Still not arrived on 21st Sept. So as myhobbystore are based in Kent and I'm in Manchester I reckon that even if the postman is delivering it on foot walking at 3mph for 8 hours a day it should still have arrived today. It brings a whole new meaning to snail mail. frown

Gary

Thread: Tool Height
17/09/2013 12:37:52

Hi David,

A QC toolpost was one of the first accessories I bought for my mini-lathe and has been one of the most useful. If you can get hold of any of the steel banding that is used to secure packing crates it can be cut up into small strips that are handy for packing up tool heights.

Gary

Thread: Account Closing
09/09/2013 08:59:27

Well said Danny, I agree with your comments entirely. I've learnt a lot from Harold's books.

Gary

06/09/2013 22:18:37
Posted by Stub Mandrel on 06/09/2013 21:35:18:

I'm sure these would make great (and safe) boilers for running stationary engines slowly, off load. Lots of steam at low pressure.

Neil

Does anyone think this would work? I'd love to see the little wobbler I made last year running on steam and haven't got round to making a boiler yet so might give it a try.

Gary

Thread: ER32 Ball Bearing Collet Nut back in stock @ Arceurotrade 6.80
06/09/2013 13:24:28

Thanks for the update Ketan.

Gary

Thread: Basic equipment for starting milling ?
04/09/2013 23:27:23

Hi Ady,

I'm no expert as I've only had my mill for six months but two suggestions to start with are Harold Hall's books "The Milling Machine" and "Milling: A Complete Course" in the Workshop Practice Series. Full of useful info and starter projects including T-nuts, clamps etc.

If you just want to get started buy a 10mm HSS end mill and 10mm MT3 collet to take it. This won't cost you much and will get you making some swarf. You could also buy a clamp set which you will still use even when you've bought a vice and leave the vice purchase for a while.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Gary

Thread: May be worth watching?
04/09/2013 22:02:23

Thanks for alerting us to that Jason. I hadn't seen it before despite watching more BBC4 than anything else. The swan and the boy writing were particularly impressive. If anyone wants to watch it then it is repeated at 2.20 am tonight.

Gary

Thread: ER32 Ball Bearing Collet Nut back in stock @ Arceurotrade 6.80
04/09/2013 14:05:20

In the words of Woody Allen "I'd like to achieve immortality by not dying" wink 2

Gary

04/09/2013 00:16:04

Great. I've been checking for these on and off. Only annoying thing is, your 63T gear is now out of stock Neil. I hadn't even realised they were stocking them yet. Doh!

Gary

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest