By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for GaryM

Here is a list of all the postings GaryM has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New mill being delivered...
03/09/2013 14:14:53

Chris, the drawbar on the X3 doesn't have exposed threads on the top end. It's a hex socket and so unlikely to damaged. I went for the R8 as a result of reading many threads on which taper to choose. Never needs more than a light tap.

Gary

02/09/2013 23:03:14

A simple mod I made to mine was to add four M12 washers to the X-axis feed handle to keep the dog clutch permanently engaged.

sx3 feed handle mod.jpg

Gary

02/09/2013 15:49:24

An IKEA Jansjo lamp? £10

Gary

Thread: What did you do today? (2013)
01/09/2013 22:28:53

I spent an enjoyable few hours at Wortley Top Forge **LINK** in the River Don valley north of Sheffield where they were having a model engineer's special event day. First time I've visited and I was surprised how much interesting old metalworking machinery they have in the workshops.

Had a lengthy chat with a fellow in the workshop who told me the history of an old Hendey lathe they had discovered in one of the sheds. It was apparently used on a regular basis by the previous Countess of Wharncliffe.

Quite a few model locos taking people on trips round the miniature railway. An impressive collection of stationary engines including the largest one 'Elizabeth', a true vertical compound with grasshopper beam.

Worth a trip if you're within a hours drive.

Gary

Thread: You will need a big loft for this
28/08/2013 00:24:29

Fascinating, Jason. I hadn't seen this before. Thanks.

Gary

Edited By GaryM on 28/08/2013 00:24:58

Thread: Stuart 'Victoria' : a beginners tale..
17/08/2013 09:14:06
Posted by Steve Withnell on 16/08/2013 20:07:20:

Anyway, this is my attempt

**LINK**

Took me almost two years to get this done. Looks like you have made more progress in 9 days than I did in 9 months!

Very nice, Steve. I'm hoping to have a go at something similar in a few years. Note to self: must get more done on my S50 and spend less time on here.

Gary

Thread: Accolade to suppliers
17/08/2013 08:59:37

Hi,

**LINK**

Don't know them. Just trying to help.

Gary

Thread: Another thread on buying a lathe
14/08/2013 16:03:28
Posted by Big H on 14/08/2013 15:12:25:

......Does anyone have any recommendations for Super C6 variants and when/where to buy one?....

How about

**LINK**

Metric out of stock at the moment though.

Gary

14/08/2013 14:12:11

Hi Big H,

Welcome to the forum. The subject has been covered quite a lot. If you haven't read it already, this thread is a good starting point

**LINK**

Or search at the top left for 'lathe'

I was in a similar position to yourself about two years ago and decided to buy a mini-lathe (Sieg C3 equivalent) just to see if the interest would last. Now wishing I'd gone for something bigger but that's what everyone will tell you. However I've learnt a lot and if in the future I buy a bigger lathe, I'll know what features and capacity are important to me.

Gary

Thread: My first part on my long journey
09/08/2013 13:59:26

Hi Paul,

The book "Model Engineering: A Foundation Course" by Peter Wright is a very good introduction to most of the skills and techniques you will need on your journey. One of the first books I read when I started. At over 400 pages, good value as well.

All the best with the build.

Gary

Thread: New subscriptions, am I thick or what?
08/08/2013 23:13:44
Posted by Robbo on 06/08/2013 09:41:09:

Perhaps the proprieters ultimate objective is to do away with paper magazines entirely, and just have digital. This is like Government thinking.

This will also piss Russell off even more!

Phil

This more or less what I said about a month ago on the previous thread about this change.

"In the publisher's ideal world (and anyone else selling media) you would not be able to buy a physical copy at all but only buy access to content that could not be downloaded only streamed. At the risk of getting told off for venturing into politics it is called 'rentier capitalism'."

Stick with the paper mag.

Gary (recovering technophile)

Thread: Reilang oil cans
17/07/2013 21:41:16

Thanks for the replies Jo and Dave. Looks like the rigid spout might be the one to get. Useful to know that Reeves sell them VAT free at shows, quite a significant saving, but unfortunately they won't be at the Midlands show in October which is the next one I'm going to.

It is for the press-button oilers that I want one. I use Rock HLP32 hydraulic oil for the mill table top and lathe slideways but haven't actually oiled the table bearings yet (only had the mill six months). My existing cheapo oil can has engine oil in it which I didn't want to force into the button oilers.

Gary

17/07/2013 13:28:08

Hi,

I realised some time ago that these are the oil can of choice for lots of our community but haven't got round to buying one because I couldn't decide on rigid or flexible spout. So, those of you that have one, which spout is the most useful for oiling machines. No doubt eventually I'll end up with more than one.

Gary

Thread: Turning
12/07/2013 16:51:31

Hi Michael,

I'll second what stevetee said above. When I first got my mini-lathe I also bought a set of the carbide tipped tools that are frequently sold by the hobby suppliers because I didn't feel confident enough to grind my own. I had some free-cutting mild steel and couldn't understand why I was getting such a poor finish, even for a beginner. So I decided to try grinding a tool and even though it was my first attempt and I hadn't used a grinder for years, the finish was so much better that I've not used the carbide tools since. My grinding skills have improved as well. Try one yourself and see.

Also this thread **LINK** might help

Gary

Thread: Is it true that our access to the digital archive going to disappear?
12/07/2013 12:52:08
Posted by Jo on 12/07/2013 10:28:26:

<snip>... because otherwise there would be nothing stopping me sending that digital copy out to all my mates....<snip>

Jo

This is what the publishers are trying to guard against. Once they allow PDFs to be saved locally then there is nothing to stop people copying them and passing them round, apart from the risk of destroying the magazine as a viable business. This is what most under thirty-year-olds do with music. Hardly any of them pay for it and don't see why they should. In the publisher's ideal world (and anyone else selling media) you would not be able to buy a physical copy at all but only buy access to content that could not be downloaded only streamed. At the risk of getting told off for venturing into politics it is called 'rentier capitalism'.

BTW I've still got all my vinyl LPs but have also got most of them on CD as well which have been ripped to mp3 and transferred to ipod.

Gary

Thread: Cleaning hands.
04/07/2013 22:45:58

While we're talking about Swarfega, I've had a tub in the kitchen cupboard for years (forget to use it) which has now turned to liquid. Any ideas why and if I can return it to its semi-solid state.

Gary

Thread: Set a Status
28/06/2013 21:28:30

Neil, if your status is “about to embark on cam profiling..." then it shows in your profile.

Gary

edit: and I've just set one as well.

Edited By GaryM on 28/06/2013 21:31:39

Thread: AVATAR
28/06/2013 19:30:17

Isn't this thread an example of the increase in entropy, which is science and science is closely related to engineering so therefore the thread is well on topic. wink

Gary

Thread: Trouble getting started
27/06/2013 18:26:54

Paul,

Try this thread for CAD discussion.

**LINK**

Gary

Thread: Precision on the Beeb
27/06/2013 17:30:58

Hi Diane,

All three have been shown now. There may be repeats. Four days left to watch on iPlayer.

**LINK**

Gary

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest