By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for XD 351

Here is a list of all the postings XD 351 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chatter
24/09/2020 00:12:36

It may be an optical illusion but the toolpost doesn’t look like it is sitting down on the top of the cross slide .

I would ditch the insert tooling on a lathe that small and grind up a HSS tool then hone it so it is razor sharp , keep the tool stick out as short as possible , also check the carriage and cross slide gib adjustments to eliminate any free play . I think on a Taig you can lock the cross slide with thumb screw and i would also lock this each pass .

Thread: Questions for the rail enthusiast
18/09/2020 11:45:21

Forgot to mention this is in the western suburbs of Sydney Australia .

The rail gauge is as far as i know consistent throughout New south Wales Australia .

They are on a now disused siding consisting of two dead end lines about 300m off a set of points , i think they may have used this siding hook up a couple of diesel locos to help the intra state passenger trains or freight trains get over the blue mountains - could and probably am wrong though !

Thread: Changes to Fusion 360 Terms
18/09/2020 11:30:51

Won’t bother me one bit

3d printer tried to argue the point and came off second best - doubt if i will replace it .

Had a play with my cnc engraver and while i found fusion nice to work with for what i want to do ( cut gaskets out ) i could use just about any of the other programmes around , free cad and cambam are a couple .

For most of things i make i can use a piece of paper , pencil and a calculator to do what i want and not even strain the mostly useless chunk of dead meat between my ears i call a brain 😂

Don’t blame Autodesk though - they allowed us to use their product for free for so long - unfortunately there are those who rorted the system and ruined it for us hobbyists and students .

Thread: Questions for the rail enthusiast
18/09/2020 10:47:58

20200918_114023.jpg

This is the real 3rd picture i intended to post so looking at the pictures in the original post except the bottom one as it is the same as the top one they are taken from right to left.

The first pic is showing the line furthest away far right end , the second is the far right or the closest line and the one in this reply is showing the left end of both lines lines .

The ends of the siding are offset lengthways and if they were both the same the length the discs would approximately line up with each other .

I couldn’t see any other discs on the main lines only on this little dead end siding .

So there are two discs per line equally spaced with each other in regards to each line and its end point .

18/09/2020 02:57:54

20200918_114035.jpg20200918_114029.jpg 20200918_114035.jpg

I was waiting at a local rail station today a0nd spotted these yellow ( presumably metal) discs on the power lines , they are on the last 50m of a dead end siding and was wondering what purpose they serve ?

Any ideas?

They would appear to be around a 300mm or 12 inches in diameter

Ian.

Thread: Scaling back forum activity
09/09/2020 19:58:07

These days i only login and post something or reply to something if it really tweaks my interest - which is becoming rarer by the day or i have just about gone insane with boredom but that is not just on this forum its all of them !

Thread: Dead blow mallet
03/09/2020 14:11:37

If you don’t have a dead blow you can use a piece of leather to deaden the blow from a ball pein or engineers hammer, pieces of old leather belts you use to hold your pants up work well and cost nothing ..

Thread: New Moderators
03/09/2020 14:00:51

I’m waiting for the moderator bitch fight - it is inevitable 🤣

Thread: Welder buy
03/09/2020 13:50:05

Mig and tig use different gasses

Iirc mig is typically argon c02 and oxygen but tig is usually argon or argon c02 mix .
unfortunately one gas won’t do it all .

The unit that does both mig and tig is a dc welder and can do stick as well but you can’t weld aluminium with it with the tig .

If you just want to try mig buy a small mig unit - 140amp or more and have a play

if you want to get into tig it is better to save up your pennies and get e decent dc/ac hf unit as a dedicated tig and learn how to use it as there are many parameters to tune with these units all though computers have made this much easier

Thread: Home made cast Aluminium
31/08/2020 09:53:55

One of the channels i subscribe to who has also watched the video on casting has made a video on how he made his funace - Thought it might have some useful info for U.K forum members .

https://youtu.be/vYXWm1WnpLo
I had a look at his video list and he doesn’t do reviews as far as i could see but he does give a few links to the materials and burner he used I believe both are legitimate retailers .
Hope it passes scrutiny !

Thread: Mill Tip
30/08/2020 11:58:58

In his latest offering he goes to great lengths to show how it can still work even when using a very out of whack vise .

Thread: COMPRESSION RATIOS
30/08/2020 11:54:51

Would you take 110 psi for it 😀

30/08/2020 11:12:07

Well Rob has been at it again and in his latest video he uses an old slave cylinder as a mold - worked well but he used alloy of an unknown grade and although it cast ok it didn’t machine well so his trick of using old mag rims is something one should stick to if they want Bar stock that machines ok .

30/08/2020 11:05:18

Hi Jann ,

You have a PM in your inbox .

29/08/2020 04:21:24

I had a rummage around on the interwebby thing and one thing that was fairly constant was the mention of how casting will lower the tensile strength of these alloys and 2024 is regarded as being moderately machinable so I don’t know what casting will do to that with either alloy .

You could make a test piece up by melting a small amount and cast a small billet - the suck it see approach !

Thread: Change to the Code of Conduct
27/08/2020 08:03:49

Posted by JasonB on 27/08/2020

Hopper yes I have been deleting mention of creators over the last month as well as doing the same thing to other links as per ChrisB'S post and have not noticed any drop off in forum activity. Infact as Neil says we are getting more and more new members.

Edited By JasonB on 27/08/2020 07:29:00

This is what i really wanted to get clarification on !

If you put up a link OR mention a creator who has done any reviews it will get taken down .

I just wanted to know exactly what i can do and what I can’t do - saves me time as I’m not posting things that will be removed and saves the moderators time , effort and hassle having to constantly hunt these things down .

Jason ,
You would have needed that can of drink after shaping those spokes !

27/08/2020 07:28:17

Don’t you still have to upload a photo to your album first ?

27/08/2020 07:21:17

I think the unit Rob made had a steel liner which eventually burnt away and yes the pearlite cement mix is degrading but he only uses it every so often - probably when he runs out of aluminium bar so he fires it up to build up his stock . If i were going to do a lot of casting i would use the proper stuff but i’m really only likely to use this system once or twice a year at most and i do like the idea that i can make a simple furnace out of junk and cheap materials that i can get from my local hardware store !

Thread: How to stop scam phone calls for good?
27/08/2020 07:00:07

I was watching a YouTube video a while back and the guy got a scam call about his credit card while he was recording , he said can you hang on a minute i have to go out to the car and get my card and put them on hold - 5 minutes later he decided to check if they were still there and they were - now that’s tenacity for you ! He said sorry i forgot I don’t have a credit card and you could hear the phone on the other end get slammed down as they hung up !

I only have a mobile so if I don’t recognise the number I won’t answer it , i did have a problem with my telco calling me trying to sell something to me or asking if i can do a survey — after a tirade of abusive language i made it perfectly clear that if they ever call me again i will be changing telcos and I haven’t heard from them in about 3 years !

Thread: Making a spill proof cutting oil pot
27/08/2020 06:41:05

Can’t see why it would .

Nice work by the way !

Subs to your channel added , i will watch your other videos over the next few days .

I though for a moment the video was going to be another silent video - thankfully it wasn’t , i always feel i can connect with the video a bit more when i can hear the creators voice !

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
cowells
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest