By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ivy

Here is a list of all the postings Ivy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford ML7 & Super 7 beds
20/03/2021 12:07:32

Well I only had to drill and tap one hole for the countershaft as I'm using the ML7 rack and apron, so strip down and paint now it all fits.

Incidentally the cut-out under the headstock was the same on both beds, unlike other ML7s being smaller.

Thanks for giving me the confidence to do this Mike.ML7 bed.jpg

16/03/2021 20:12:42
Posted by Mike Crossfield on 16/03/2021 19:54:12:

Ivy,

I rebuilt an early (1957) Super 7 on an unworn bed from an ML7 capstan lathe. I believe this is the same bed used on the standard ML7. There were only 2 issues. As TB has pointed out, the Super 7 needs a new mounting hole for the countershaft arm drilling and tapping in the back of the bed. The other issue was that the mounting holes for the saddle rack were offset. I needed to drill and tap new holes to suit the Super 7 rack. Otherwise plain sailing. No issue with clearance for the backgear.

Hope this is of help

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Thank good to know, and first hand experience is what I was hoping for.thumbs upthumbs up

16/03/2021 19:10:13

My ML7 is an early one but thanks for the insight T.B.

I think I will buy it and start looking for a decent second hand Super 7 bed. Then if I sell the ML7 it will probably recoup the cost of the Super.

16/03/2021 17:12:33

T.B

Yes, I can see that clearance for the back gear now on google images.

Unless someone has already done this I guess it will be a case of trial and error.

Hopefully someone has done it before me.

16/03/2021 15:59:16

Does anyone know if I can replace a very worn early Super 7 bed with an ML7 bed.

I have the opportunity to buy very cheply a complete but worn out bed Super 7 and I already have a complete OK condition ML7.

I am not really bothered by continuity of serial numbers and originality, but thought I might get a Super 7 with all it's updated drive, clutch, speed etc. for a pretty cheap price. And I don't mind spending money on my hobby (within reason)

Thanks all, Ivy.

Thread: Yet another scam lathe sale on ebay to be aware of
11/01/2021 18:22:01
Posted by MC Black on 11/01/2021 17:59:01:

This may be a naive question, but why does he have 100% good feedback if he scams people?

Why have the people scammed NOT left bad reports?

As Brian said, no feedback as a seller.

Also the clues are very obvious, it's a new account, it's collect from a very far away (for most of us) place or delivery with payment by bank transfer, no paypal accepted.

After the scam ebay will close the account and he will just use a different name and account.

If you go to ebay number 402625615279 and look at the feedback you see what I mean.

Also as an aside.

He obviously picks his target audience. Model engineering is not a cheap hobby, and most of us are old school, honourable people, and assume we will be dealing with, and conversing with the same. I have bought and sold model engineers bits and pieces on ebay with great success, I have also bought and sold other things with nothing but trouble from unreasonable people, or people that can not afford what they bid for.

Edited By Ivy on 11/01/2021 18:30:42

11/01/2021 17:22:03

Two more to report here,

ebay numbers 224312889459 and 224312889782

Definitely the same scammer.

08/01/2021 20:01:48
Posted by jimmy b on 08/01/2021 19:34:48:

I'm sick of people like this!

I'm going to bid this to the celling!!!!

Jim

Go for it.

He's block me after I bid up one a while back and said I would come and collect with cash.

08/01/2021 18:16:56

Here we go again.

Item number 284141767112

If enough people report it ebay may take the reports seriously.

06/01/2021 19:23:06
Posted by Pete. on 06/01/2021 19:10:54:

He's popped up on another account, 4 listing, 2 cnc lathe type machines, instructions PayPal is not accepted, hope it's OK to post a link in the interest of stopping people being scammed.

Deleted

That looks genuine to me.

Business name and address, a member since 2016 and not really that remote, Norfolk.

Edited By JasonB on 07/01/2021 09:30:51

06/01/2021 07:46:22
Posted by Pete. on 06/01/2021 00:50:13:

15 minutes ago I bid on this, the seller has just blocked me and removed my bids, there's a pretty good chance he's reading this forum.

The only way to stop these scams is to use a bid sniping tool (to stop bids being cancelled) and refuse to pay.

Ebay don't care, and cannot police it anyway.

I have Moto Guzzi motorbikes and regularly browse ebay for parts. Someone tries the same scamming techniques here and has 1000's of listing of rare, strange, unusual vehicles put up regularly.

It must be a full time job.

05/01/2021 17:15:49

It's the same person everytime.

Unfortunately he has blocked me from bidding after I "won" an item and called his bluff and said "OK, I'm fairly close, what's your address? I'll come over tomorrow".

Hopefully some one on here might do the same, he may get the message.

Edited By Ivy on 05/01/2021 17:17:12

Thread: WARNING Scammer
23/09/2020 08:55:09

Well that account has been removed, but I fear he will crop up again.

I used to use ebay a lot for buying and selling but it has become to big to police now.

Thread: Living with a Chester DB10 super lathe
23/09/2020 08:51:31

There is a Canadian lady on youtube called "blondihacks". Look for her video "import lathe buying guide". I think her lathe is equivalent to yours.

I like all her videos because she is not afraid to show her mistakes and inexperience in some areas.

Thread: WARNING Scammer
22/09/2020 12:45:02
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 22/09/2020 11:33:39:

John,

Yes you are right, I haven't read all the T's & C's but that is the gist of them, in my 800 plus Ebay transactions I got stung once when I paid for something with a cheque, the criminal had loads of positive feedback but all very new so he sent those items & then fleeced the poor saps coming along slightly later! This guy offers viewing but is relying on people not wanting to go to the Helmsdale in Scotland to see the item, he also offers cash on collection so am a bit confused how he would get the money with nothing to sell?

Tony

After I got caught I asked a friend to bid on an item which he won, he said he would collect with cash, "can I have a name and contact number?" he asks. All communication stopped and the item was relisted.

22/09/2020 07:09:23
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 21/09/2020 23:01:24:
Posted by Brian H on 21/09/2020 20:29:27:

@ Ivy ... I meant no offence or ingratitude by mentioning that the Boxford was sold !

... Just a simple statement of what I found

If you are confident that he is a bad ‘un ... why stop trying to help ?

No offence taken Michael.

Although I get the feeling some think I have an ulterior motive, or am slating a genuine seller.

Look at the account, it was at the time of writing one day old, there were no feedbacks as a seller and there are still none. He states in the description he won't accept paypal. A "sold" item is not a delivered/received item. I reckon he made nearly £4000 yesterday if he gets paid by all four buyers.

I got caught on his last account, and he is a convincing con man. (I know I was stupid).

I will leave it there and hope no one here gets caught after this.

21/09/2020 20:08:59

OK, he will not take paypal, and the feedbacks are him buying.

Register an account, buy a few 99p items to get some feedback and then your set to go.

I have nothing to gain giving this info, only trying to save others losing out.

As I said before check back in a few days, the account will be gone. Put all his items in your watch list and see.

I am going to stop trying to help now.

Edited By Ivy on 21/09/2020 20:10:36

21/09/2020 19:40:06
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 21/09/2020 19:00:38:

Sold for £380

Ended: 21 Sep, 2020 10:07:52 BST

MichaelG.

Yes, and the Super 7, and the welder. look back in a few days, that one day old account will be deleted.

Sadly the chances of seeing the goods are zero.

I am only trying to stop anyone getting burnt as I have been.

21/09/2020 11:53:45

This Boxford lathe item number 383731192237. Look at other items as well.

When the complaints start ebay will remove the account and he wll start again with another account.

21/09/2020 11:06:06

Pass the word around and please move to the appropriate page if needed.

There is a scammer on ebay "selling" machine tools. The listings look very convincing, but trust me it's a scam. He always wants payment by BACS and is always located in the north of Scotland.

He offers cash on collection as well to make it more convincing but the chances of being in the same area are pretty remote.

There was someone doing this on homeworkshop I think.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
walker midge
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest