By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Greensands

Here is a list of all the postings Greensands has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Crankshaft Factory
04/10/2021 15:33:51

Where were all the hard spots?

Thread: Maplin Weather Station Repairs
30/09/2021 12:54:04

As explained in my previous post, failure is in the recording of all three of the external functions i.e. temperature, rain gauge and wind speed data. Humidity data is a function of the internal unit and as with all the other inputs controlled by the display unit is working perfectly.

30/09/2021 12:16:07

Hi John - The unit is fitted outside the house and it is currently acting in an erratic fashion. Recently I have been able to get it working for a short periods after which the display station then fails to record external temperature/water gauge/wind speed data I have not (yet) tried spraying with a switch cleaner but in the process I have learnt the technique of removing and then replacing the batteries in each unit followed by offering up the remote unit to the base station in order to carry out a reset. On replacing the batteries in the remote the red LED indicator is seen to come on and then to go off, followed by a flashing mode and final linking to the display station all of which I understand indicates a fully working unit. As an aside I have made contact with a company in Leatherhead Surrey claiming to offer a repair service. Replacement remote units as advertised on the Amazon website are not currently available and they have a question mark hanging over the possibility of any future supplies.

28/09/2021 10:46:01

Hi all - The remote sensor unit of my Type N96GY Maplin Weather station has developed a fault but before calling in some professional help I just wondered if anyone on the forum has had any experience of carrying out their own repairs and maybe can offer some useful advice. Although some 6/7 years old now all the sockets and battery connections appear to be in excellent condition and I would like to be able to get it back working again.

Thread: Multimeter recommendations
24/09/2021 18:32:11

I had one of these at one time but although a later model it never felt like a proper Mk.7/8 AVO

Thread: Freeing up a domestic paper shredder. A novel use of WD40?
23/09/2021 17:55:08

I have found that an excellent way of freeing up and maintaining a domestic paper shredder is simply to spray WD40 onto the cutter blades, paying no particular attention in controlling exactly where it the goes into or onto the working mechanism. Works wonders!

Thread: Ideas on how to make up a G-Clamp Swivel Foot
18/09/2021 10:11:10

I have recently acquired a couple of small (1.5" throat) G-clamps fitted with an 8mm dia screw which need to be reduced in overall length in order to fit under my limited height milling table. The obvious way of achieving this is to shorten the screw from the tommy bar end but it has prompted the thought as to just how one might go about making up a replacement screw complete with a new swivel foot. Has anyone had a go at making up their own swivel feet?

Thread: Attaching a wooden disc to a Rotary Table without break through
10/09/2021 09:01:39

Thanks for all the very interesting replies. The idea is for the wooden disc to be an easily replaceable fitting and the use of magnets as opposed to an adhesive would appear to be the way ahead for use as an occasional plotting table. Pinkgrip is a new one on me and so I will need to explore. Other possible uses of the table would be for some light milling exercises akin to engraving where loads would not be excessive.

09/09/2021 21:36:47

img_9984.jpgShould have attached these two pics to illustrate the table and discimg_9983.jpg.

09/09/2021 21:18:39

Hi - Can anyone suggest a possible method of attaching a 9" diameter by 3/4" thick wooden disc onto a 5" diameter rotary table without if possible breaking through to the top surface. The object is to use the disc as a rotary paper drawing board with a fine tipped pen loaded into the spindle and it is therefore desirable to keep the upper surface free from any indentation. The rotary table as can been seen is fitted with the conventional Tee slots. All suggestions and ideas are most welcomed.

Thread: Has anyone got a copy of Don Young's LLAS No.1?
07/09/2021 18:18:33

Can anyone help me to locate a copy of Don Young's first edition No.1 of his "Locomotives Large and Small". Experience has shown that despite all the following issues being relatively easy to find, Issue No.1 is as rare as hen's teeth. In the unlikely event of actually finding an original copy I would be quite happy to cover the costs of photocopying with P&P if that was an option.

Thread: Best LNER A4 documentation
07/09/2021 17:51:37

Don's articles are written around the construction of his 5" gauge A1/A3 pacific, Part 1 of which was published in LLAS No.16 but with the main build beginning in LLAS No.19. It might be worth considering however that on page16 of issue No.19 he makes the observation that by 1963 the design of the A3/A4 had ....."moved closer together in constructional detail, so that with the main exception of the cylinders, they were alike." This I am sure would be disputed by many but nevertheless I think you will find the detail given for the A3 would prove to be extremely useful for an A4

07/09/2021 15:56:19

You will find a lot of information on the A4 in Don Young's now defunct publication "Locomotives Large and Small" commonly referred to as LLAS.

Thread: What are the potential hazards of using E10 fuel on classic car seals
02/09/2021 19:47:18

According to the piece in today's Times newspaper (page 16).........."This is denied by Ethanol Europe, the industry group which said yesterday that E10 caused no damage to older vehicles, pointing out that it is the only form of petrol used in the USA and most of Europe". How one wonders then do the owners of older cars cope in the US?

02/09/2021 10:08:39

Now we are all obliged to use E10 grade petrol I have yet read exactly what the potential hazards might be for the owners of classic cars. I find it difficult to understand how such a small increase in bio fuel content from 5 to 10% can present any significant damage to engine seals/gaskets of cars of that period.

Thread: Availability of 1/4" O/D by 16G copper pipe
28/08/2021 20:34:24

Many thanks for the info

28/08/2021 20:17:33

Anyone know of a likely source of 1/4" O/D by 16G (or its nearest metric equivalent) copper pipe/tubing? I have a short length dug up from under the bench but just wondered where I might be able to obtain further lengths should the need arise. Currently being used to make up some relatively tight and neat bends with the ends drilled out to receive 5/32" dia copper pipework.

5-32 copper sleeve bend drilled from 0.25 dia cu pipe (2).jpg

Thread: Ruggedising a Type 17 Stepper motor electrical connection
18/08/2021 19:04:17

Hi Duncan Yes, another pic would be helpful

18/08/2021 16:38:29

Can anyone suggest a means of ruggedising the electrical connection to the Type 17 stepper motor as illustrated in the photo as the 4 lead connection provided with the motor is far from being workshop proof. One problem is that I do not know the correct term or type reference for this type of cable connection or whether or not more purposeful plugs exist which can mate directly with the socket which is a 6-way, the cable connection being 4-way. Any ideas or suggestions as to how to go about making the assembly more workshop proof would be much appreciated.

img_9958.jpg

Thread: Tinkering with Gary Liming's Stepper Motor control sketch
16/08/2021 10:37:24

I have been playing around with a Type 17 stepper motor using the Gary Liming Arduino sketch running with a UNO/Type 6600 Driver but could do with some help with some fairly basic questions regarding tweaking the software. Basically I would like to know how to increase the speed of rotation by say a factor of 2 or 3. Currently the micro-stepping DIP switch is set 8 but what is the significance of 'front end gearing' and the sketch variable GearRatio1top equal to 3? Any assistance on the subject would be much appreciated.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
rapid Direct
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
BOLDON
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest