By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Greensands

Here is a list of all the postings Greensands has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bowman 'O' Gauge Model Steam locomotive
15/01/2021 16:31:01

Hi - Thanks for the link. My model would have been the LNER 0-4-0 green LNER Saddle Tank as illustrated. My memory is failing faster than I thought, somehow imagining that it had more than 4 four wheels but there you go!. Budgets were must tighter in those days and Bassett Lowke would have been on the distant horizon.

14/01/2021 20:08:19

Hi all - Many years ago back in the '50s I was given a meths fired Bowman 'O' gauge model steam locomotive and ran it on a length of garden track set up by my father. I cannot remember very much about the details except that it was a tank engine, most probally an 0-6-0 (but possibly an 0-6-2?), LNER markings with outside cylinders I think and green in colour and showing the usual paint scars of a spirit fired locomotive of its time. How I wish I had kept hold of it but like most things of ones past it went the way of all things but I often think back to what I had once had. Are there any one time proud owners of a Bowman on the forum and can anyone possibly help identify the model I might have had and with post some likely photos?

Thread: Insert tool cutting angles
11/01/2021 20:55:25

I am considering buying a VCGT carbide insert straight turning and facing tool in order to get into some tight corners. Can anyone help me with the size of the pointed angle of this tool?

Thread: Between Centres Boring Bars
31/12/2020 16:06:33

Hi everyonel - Thanks for all the useful help provided. Had not thought of using a boring head in a between-centres application but can see how it could work. EGA, Yes I am pretty sure that the larger bar is a Geo Thomas design. Think my next step will now be to make up a Hemmingway type fine feed adjuster.

31/12/2020 10:05:12

Hi - I have in my collection of tools a couple of between centres boring bars, one of 7/8" dia fitted with a 1/4" cutter the other 5/8" dia with a 3/16" cutter, the difference being that the larger bar with the tool set at an angle is fitted with a fine thread adjustment. In the case of the smaller bar the lack of such a feature is a distinct disadvantage and I have often wondered how things could be improved. One obvious thought is to tap out 2BA for a short length behind the tool but at a 90deg angle and a 5/8" dia bar there is not too much meat to play with. Are there perhaps other ways to include some sort of fine feed arrangement to take the hit and miss out of the equation. All suggestions would be most welcomed.img_9710.jpg

Thread: Type identification of a endmill tool holder (Hauser)
16/12/2020 13:08:11

Hi Stuart - Interested to hear that the spindle of my Hauser may have been manufactured at Woolwich Arsenal. The tool holder illustrated at the top of the post is one of several I have made up to accept 1/4" shank endmills (and small slitting saws) and is a very easy way of overcoming the need to source 9mm collet chucks thanks to the nominal 40 deg taper. The photo shows the makers plate attached to my machine.

img_9241.jpg

Thread: Looking for a fine point insert tool for turning the back side of a Ball
15/12/2020 17:34:41

Some very useful info here. Thank you for all the help provided

14/12/2020 20:48:00

Yes, that is certainly the stye of insert I have in mind but having a Myford lathe I would be looking for ideally a 10mm toolholder or perhaps 12mm at most.

14/12/2020 20:03:24

After trying out several techniques for turning ball shaped objects on the lathe using the traditional method of coming in from each side of the ball I have recently seen a video where the ball in question is being turned from the free end. Obviously the geometry of the ball is a major factor here but is anyone aware of any suitable finely pointed insert tooling which might be worth exploring. Inserts available from the usual suppliers do not seem to include the finely pointed patterns

Thread: Type identification of a endmill tool holder (Hauser)
09/12/2020 20:33:18

Hi Stuart - Any chance of a photo of the restored Hauser?

Thread: The demise of Australian Model Engineering Magazine
09/12/2020 09:41:14

That is a great shame as I think it was a very well run and interesting magazine. I remember on holiday to Aus back in the early 2000' buying a copy of the mag in which plans were published for building a 5ins gauge driver's truck incorporating a simplified braking in which the brake blocks were wooden boards bearing directly onto the wheel treads. When back from hols I built my version of the truck and was very happy with the results. Did anyone else make up the design?

Thread: Live steam Globe valves
19/11/2020 17:22:54

Can anyone please expand on the idea that a globe valve has right and wrong way around. The link given in a previous post is now dispslaying the dreaded "404 Not found" messag

Thread: Source of 1/2" Diameter Delrin
18/11/2020 11:32:10

Thanks for all the helpful advice. My impression is that imperial sizes are only likely to be available in the original Delrin product range as this was developed in the US and from what little there is round would appear to be from the US. Just fine of course but you will be hammered with heavy postal charges. The alternative co-polymer products which are more widely available on ebay and the like are of european manufacture and are in metric sizes. Shame of course as 1/2" diameter rod stock is such a useful size to have around for model engineering purposes.

17/11/2020 19:53:20

I would be looking for short lengths up to a foot or so long if there is any out there

17/11/2020 18:12:32

Hi - I have been trying to source some 1/2" diameter Delrin (or a POM copolymer) rod but cannot find anyone selling suitable imperial sizes. Plenty of 12mm rod with a generous plus tolerance but nothing being listed as1/2". Has anyone else had this problem?

Thread: Freeing a cabinet lock
10/11/2020 17:38:42

Hi - I wonder if anyone can suggest a way of solving the problem I have with a small lock fitted to a china display cabinet. The key shown is obviously is not the correct one for the cabinet but somehow or other it was used to operate the lock in one direction, (fortunately with the door open) but I cannot now get it to work in the reverse direction. All suggestion most welcomed.

img_9690.jpg

img_9689.jpg

img_9688.jpg

Thread: Custom made magnetic vice jaw covers
08/11/2020 09:49:33

The vice in question is a Record No.2 fitted with 3.5" jaws equating say to 90mm which I have not found to be commercially available.

07/11/2020 19:42:31

Hi All - I seem to remember it being reported that it was possible to obtain made to size magnetic fibre vice jaw covers but I have not been able to locate the source. Can anybody point me towards a possible UK supplier.

Thread: Problems with obtaining ME Back Issues
24/10/2020 17:20:30

Could anyone tell me the number of the ME magazine containing Part 1 of the above topic?

24/10/2020 13:09:22

Hi - I am interested in the article on an Improved Black Five Regulator published in recent issues of the ME but have only been able to obtain a copy of No.4648 from the ME Back Issues department. Part 3 is described in ME 4648 with Part 2 in 4646 but I have not establised the issue relating to Part 1. Can anybody help me locate copies of the two MEs describing Parts 1 and 2?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest