By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Greensands

Here is a list of all the postings Greensands has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sourcing Belzona Fluid Metal Materials
07/07/2020 17:21:58

Yes, my tins of the stuff have been on the shelf for some years. Belzona is still available in various forms and there is currently a supplier on ebay selling a two part product type reference 1221. Just wondering whether the 1221 Solidifier would be the answer to my problem

07/07/2020 16:42:31

Hi - Can anyone suggest a possible source of Belzona Molecular "Fluid Metal" sold as a two part system for mixing and curing to a form a solid metal compound. Although rather old I have a decent stock of the Base component Product Code 619 but have completely run out of the Solidifier component Product Code 722. All suggestions most welcomed

Thread: Free or inexpensive 2D cad for clock wheels
30/06/2020 13:38:16

Without wishing to hijack the post but at £15 I could be very tempted to have a punt on the Drawing Board App. It appears to offer all that I would want in a 2D system. Does anyone else have any practical experience using the system or perhaps other relevant observations?

Thread: Grade of soft solder required to achieve a nice rounded fillet
23/06/2020 12:21:59

Hi All - Many thanks for all the advice offered - Very helpful

22/06/2020 22:33:59

I do have some Kester Organic Core Solder available, the end face of the reel being marked up as SN05PB93.5AGO1.5 #50 HF1189CF. Other than that, no obvious sign of of type of grade. It would appear to be a lead free solder but I have not been able to find out the melting point. Can anyone advise please.

22/06/2020 21:52:21

Hi - Can anyone suggest the required grade of soft solder necessary to achieve a nice rounded fillet when for example soldering copper to brass. I am currently using a standard off-the-reel electrical grade of solder which in practice tends to be too fluid in use and does not produce the required fillet.

Thread: Does it matter if tender valves pass a slight leak?
16/06/2020 18:04:10

Duncan - Thanks for your reply. It means that I can live with my present valves with some reassurance that they should be OK in practice.

Thread: Best places to buy metal for machining
16/06/2020 14:42:36

I am always happy with EKP Supplies. Never had a bad deal

Thread: Does it matter if tender valves pass a slight leak?
16/06/2020 13:25:04

Hi - I have made up a couple of tender water valves for the injector feeds on a 5"G locomotive and bench tests carried out on the valves with a head of water equivalent to the full tender height show a small but persistent leak. My question is - Is this of significance and what are the consequences of the feed pipes leading to the injector inputs filling up with water leaking past the valves?

Thread: Make-shift surface grinding of a threading die face
14/06/2020 18:08:30

In the absence of a die having a zero lead-in on the back face a useful dodge I have found certainly for brass, is to tap the mating female thread into a short length of BMS Hex stock and face off the end to leave a well defined cutting edge. Works well with brass.

14/06/2020 14:35:35

Hi - I have a number of standard threading dies in the usual ME sizes, some of which have a generous lead-in on the front face for easy starting and effectively a zero lead in on the reverse face which is very useful when threading up to a shoulder. With more recent purchases I notice that dies now now come with a lead-in on both front and rear faces making it a lot more difficult to continue the thread up to a shoulder.

What I would like to be able to do is to grind off the lead-in from the back surface of these dies but in the absence of a surface grinder I am loathed to try any lash-ups for fear of having a disaster on my hands. What have been other peoples experiences in this regard and can anyone suggest a simple and safe way of achieving the desired effect.

Thread: Problems bending 3/16" dia copper pipe without kinking
14/06/2020 09:59:24

I am in also two views as to whether annealing before bending is always a good idea and certainly with the more generous radii it is possible to achieve very good results bending by hand pressure alone using conviently available stub ends etc as mandrels.

Thread: Why are injector pipe connections made with flat mating surfaces?
11/06/2020 15:37:31

The question was prompted by the statement made by Bill Bailey in his article - "Making of Union Nuts and Nipples" (ME 15/02/1985). End of fourth paragraph, page 189 - after describing his making of coned fittings there appears the statement "Injectors are a different matter"

11/06/2020 13:46:45

Hi - Can anyone explain why model steam locomotive injectors as drawn by Gordon Chiverton and supplied by Pavier Steam amongst others have flat faced mating surfaces as opposed to the more usual 60 deg conical fitting? Why should it be that standard steam and water connections can be made with conical fittings but not injectors? I sure someone has the answer.

Thread: Recommended sizes for copper pipe unions & nipples
10/06/2020 09:18:20

Hi Simon - Thanks for the info. Does anyone have a copy of Brian Wilson's book on the building of Eric? Have done a search oe ebay and other likely sources but to no avail. A previous post suggested that Brian Wilson was at one time a member of this forum. Has anyone had any recent contacts with him?

09/06/2020 14:22:02

Hi Simon - Thanks for the info. I was rather hoping to use 3/8" Hex as in my opinion 7/16" hex nuts can look a bit 'clunky' on a 5"G model. One way around this I know is to use a stub or short length nipple in place of the standard design where the tail of the nipple passes out through the hex nut. The problem with usingthe standard design of nipple however is the precious lack space when using a 3/8" Hex nut.

Thread: Homemade cutting fluid
09/06/2020 10:55:41

Hi Jacob

I have always found that a 50% mixture of engine oil and paraffin for aluminium alloys, BMS and PB works well for me and for silver steel I have found nothing better than a 50% mixture of Neats Foot oil and paraffin for cutting silver steel.

Thread: Recommended sizes for copper pipe unions & nipples
09/06/2020 09:40:13

I am sure this question has been asked many times before but can anyone suggest a useful source of information on the sizing and making of brass union nuts and pipe nipples for the typical range of copper tubing used in ME. My immediate requirement is for use with 3/16" diameter copper pipe using nuts turned from 3/8" brass hex.

Thread: Problems bending 3/16" dia copper pipe without kinking
30/05/2020 14:05:47

Update - Have decided I might be pushing my luck with 26g tubing ((ex EKP) and have ordered up some 22g (ex maccmodels) as an alternative.

30/05/2020 13:11:57

Photo of current pipe bender

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Warco
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest