By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for hush

Here is a list of all the postings hush has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bat tender connection
30/08/2019 20:07:35

I have used braided flexible fuel pipe as used on out board motors. Clamp rings were made from 8mm copper end feed fittings, These fit closely over the fuel pipe, one fitting can be cut to make three rings. to connect to the model make fittings with a rat tail, to insert into the fuel pipe. Slide a ring on the pipe over the inserted tail. To clamp the connection, Make a clamping tool. A piece of 1/4"MS, say 1" square, drill a hole in the centre, The same size as the ring next find a couple of dowel pins say 1/16dia, drill through the block for the dowels on one side of the block at 5/8" centres. finally saw to cut the block in half, each half having two dowel holes and half of the central hole. Assemble the clamp block over the pipe and close the joint between vice jaws. This should result in the ring being compressed into the fuel pipe and having a pair of ears at the sides.

Originally these were on a 3 1/2" black five  and are probably too heavy for the smaller model

Edited By hush on 30/08/2019 20:13:00

Thread: Cheap link belts
27/04/2019 14:56:55

The link belt on my Boxford VSL is too loose, it's about thirty years old, so no doubt well past its best before date.

There is no way to adjust thebelt tension on these machines and I wonder how to set the tension of a new belt that I guess is the answer to the problem.

Thread: Hobbymat MD65 quick release toolpost holders
07/04/2017 16:32:14

I have just fitted an arceuro 000 qftp to my hobbymat. I replaced one of the two screwed bushes (m8) with one of (m10) I locktited it in, I think the original had Canada balsam to fix it. The new centre post was a bit too long and when screwed down,it fouled the slide base, a little was ground off the end to clear the problem

07/04/2017 16:32:13

I have just fitted an arceuro 000 qftp to my hobbymat. I replaced one of the two screwed bushes (m8) with one of (m10) I locktited it in, I think the original had Canada balsam to fix it. The new centre post was a bit too long and when screwed down,it fouled the slide base, a little was ground off the end to clear the problem

Thread: Boxford BUD restore
07/04/2017 16:17:35

I have a1966 Boxford. I stripped it down, an found the headstock had a couple of pounds of grease.Each week the previous owner gave it two shots with the gun. The mandrel runs on substantial taper roller bearings that should be pre loaded it is done by a cord wrapped on the rim of the faceplate with weight of about one pound.. I'll check in the book and if I'me miles off with that weight I'll come back later. I love my m/c it's burns wick green, except for the tailstock I ran out of paint. but that was about 30 years ago . Best wishes keep turning!

Thread: Tight jaws on Burnerd chuck
12/02/2015 20:20:31

I have a similar Burnerd chuck. The key holes in the screws were split due to abuse in its previous place of work

I bought the longest socket head grub screws I could find, and machined grooves in them as described above,

FOR several years I used a Tee handled Allen key, until the plastic handle fell off. Imachine a steel handle and welded the Allen key into it. It feels good and is good.

The jaws are all the same, and a thorough clean should help. Then juggle the jaws one after the others to get asmooth assembly.

Ivan

Thread: Poly V Belt Conversion
12/07/2014 18:53:33

I used poly-vee belt on a Centec 2B to drive the vertical head, that was over twenty years ago and I believe it is still working. I also used taper wedge bushes to secure the pulleys that were machined from dural discs. Regarding the use of multiple vee belts, they must be a matched pair. A friend had a strange noise on his lathe that was eventually found to be due to the belts not being matched, and them creeping relative to each other over the pulley Ensure that belts come from the same batch if you need a pair or more.

ivan

Thread: Broken my No 43 drill - where can I buy another?
15/06/2014 17:52:25

A 43 drill is0.089" dia. look for a metric 2.3dia. Its not an exact conversion. the error is, if I can do the sum, 009055" less 0.089 gives a difference of 0.00155" you may be able to live with that. \Whether metric drills 2.6 dia are available I don't know. I have gone all metric now.

regards Hush

Thread: 08 shunter quartering
28/02/2014 19:04:51

My solution to this quartering problem when restoring a Charlatan was.

I chose to use Woodruff keys in the axles, achieved the 90 degree shift using a piece of square ms. drilled to fit onto the axles. A simple fixture on the milling table ensured the position of the axles to cut the woodruff recesses. The keyway in the wheels was cut using a silver steel cutter, (like a single point broach tool) Because it was a rebuild the crank pins werealready in the wheels, so another fixture, located the wheel by the axle bore and crankpin. the broach was mounted in the quill of the milling machine, and operated by hand.. It worked quite well and produced an engineered job rather than pins or screws in the radial joint as in the axle and whee as in the original design.

Replacement axles were made, the keyways were cut 90 degrees apart. Thesquare block being locked to the axle with a grub screw and marked to help avoid mistakes when cutting the second end.

Thread: Archer no 1 self rev tapping head
27/02/2014 18:51:07

Re Archer tapper. I have one and have produced a sub table with about 15 m6 holes in 20mm thick cast iron.

I

I have no information on its use and gone along on trial and error. It works well,Iuse it on a pillar drill, there is a horizontal rod that engages the drill column, Iuse a piece of galv. wire to prevent it swinging back on reverse.

I' look it out and take a picture of it and try to post it in the next day or so

hope that helps

regards Hush

Thread: What did you do today? (2014)
13/02/2014 20:09:29

Finally fitted a plastic leadscrew nut to the cross slide of my Boxford. The job has been on the bench for months, the LH thread was cut with a tap from RDG.(no connection). The cross slide is for the taper turning attachment and the nut isnot the usual shape, the new nut was a copy of the original wornout bronze one. It was a very tight fit on the screw, and I had to use the electric hand drill to run the leadscrew, to and fro, through the nut. It was much too close a fit to turn by hand on the lathe. I thought , the Centec relies on a half nut for the table lead screw, So I cut off half of the lower part of the bottomof the nut. the result was a nut that is one half full thread and one half only half a thread. this reduced the grip of the nut on the screw. Reassembled on the lathe it turns OK a bit stiff, but no sign of any backlash. So I locked up and came in with a smile on my face.

Regards Hush

Thread: Vertical boiler design
04/12/2013 18:16:38

There is an excellent book titled Model Boilers & Boilermaking by K N Harris, it is a worthwhile book to search out.

full of ideas and technical information, it was published by Argus Books Ltd of Watford. in the 1980's

Regards Hush

Thread: Can anyone identify this mystery feed screw please?
05/11/2013 18:12:51

Re.... the Boxford cross slide leadscrew. THE companyRDG offer LH Taps for this THREAD.Having bought one I tried it for fit In the old nut off my Machine. I hope to cut a new nut using a lump of plastic, The problem is holding the plastic for machining, time will tell! My cross slide is for a taper turning attachment and the nut is a different shape to the standard one. Another faddition to the jobs to do list How it grows as I slow

Regards Hush

Thread: Simpler the Better -what do you use?
08/10/2013 19:04:12

My first experience with CAD was with Dragon at work in about1980. then Turbocad at home. Followed by Choice Cad, with 1Meg of memory. This was replaced with Truecad that worked inside Windows. Then to Autocad in further education to gain a City &Guilds certificate .Purchased a copy oF Autocad Lt 2002 for hobby work. However it refuses to work now after 11 years. despite reloading the disc. Now trying Deltacad that seems to meet my needs. I find Cad useful to develop ideas further than I could with pencil on the drawing board.

regards Hush

Thread: Can anyone identify this mystery feed screw please?
03/09/2013 20:58:49

I bought the new leadscrew directly from Boxford, that was some time ago. There was a company possibly RDG( but I'me far from sure) they were offering new cross slides and other spares for boxfords. I don't have any other info. on them. A long time ago, I made a square thread tap from silver steel and used it to cut a nut for loco regulator valve, it worked but it was not very pretty.

regards ivan

02/09/2013 18:35:24

Hi

The screw spindle is for a Boxford cross slide with power feed. Your picture with dimensionsare the same as one I have on my Boxford. I replaced the cross slide on my machine about 20 years ago, the old onehas languished in the tray beneath the tailstock ever since. The main leadscrew is 3mm pitch but the cross slide is 10 tpi. and the thimble is divided to give 2.5mm for one complete turn. It is not an exact conversion but close enough for all I do.

Regards

Ivan

Thread: Weir donkey pump
02/07/2013 16:26:46

hello

I often watched a weir pump feedinga lancashire boiler at the colliery where I worked, I have no recollectionof its operation, it is about 70 years ago.However you could try Southworth Engines tel.0114 2818595 they offer working model kits and drawings based on Weir and Robey. 6 models in total

Regards Ivan

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest