By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Muzzer

Here is a list of all the postings Muzzer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Search Fields
29/02/2012 05:32:25

You can indeed use Google. But try searching for say "johnston", as if you were hoping to see what posts our good friend Andy has perpetrated recently. Sure enough, you'll get plenty of hits back but if you try to follow any of them, you won't have any luck unless said gent is responsible for the very last post on that page (try it) - not much use as a search tool really.

To search the web page quickly for a key word (in this case "johnston", you can hit control+F and enter the key word in the box. Usually this comes up blank.

Perhaps I'm missing something?

29/02/2012 00:03:54

Come on David

The forum is impossible to search, which puts it in a league of its own. I know there are postings in there I want to find but short of spending hours randomly and fruitlessly diving in and out of likely-looking threads, there's no way of finding them. I can't even search by author. I challenge you to find a posting unless you already know exactly where to look for it.

If the search returns too many results, then the normal reaction is to make the search more specific. That's how they work and therein lies the power of the search tool.

Would there be any harm in having the search facility available? If it's really that useless we could always not use it. It would be nice to have the choice.

Please enable the search function and let us decide whether to use it or not. It could only improve our experience of the forums.

Pretty please?

Murray

Thread: new lathe ...can someone identify it?
24/02/2012 17:49:26

There are and I forget which. Got a feeling some Drummond and Myford ones will mate. However, you have to get the tooth pitch (module) right as well as the bore of the hole through the middle and the keyway - Drummond used pins instead of Woodruff keys. You'll only need a full-ish set if you want to do loads of screwcutting. I used mine for this and mine had 90% of the gears but I must point out it's not an easy lathe for screwcutting.

I agree about using bronze bushes for now. You might also need to get the headstock mandrel ground parallel if it's badly worn, otherwise it may be loose in the new bearings once installed and a pig to get in there to start with. Wouldn't be surprised if yours is badly worn.

Merry

22/02/2012 22:46:40

Hi Oli

I have one of these that I've owned for about 35 years. Mine's got "Portass" cast into the front face, otherwise it's pretty much identical to the Bond's Maximus which looks as if it was a rebadged Portass anyway. Haven't used mine for the last 25 years but it served me well when I was a boy and I did all kinds of stuff with it. What it lacked in features I made up with enthusiasm!

Like mine, your headstock bearing looks as if it has been overtightened and the cast iron fracture has some form of repair. The top slide / cross slide is missing as are the back gears. The Bond's Maximus article gives the best idea of what yours should look like in terms of missing parts etc. You have only a few change wheels but I think they are a fairly common pitch.

My leadscrew nut was stripped, so I bored it out and fitted 2 brass machine screws that mated with the square threaded lead screw.

The only difference I can see is the fact that yours has vee-belt pulleys. Mine came with flats and I machined vees into them later.

Looks as if yours has had a hard life!

Murray Edington

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Meridienne; London MES
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
cowbells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest