By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Muzzer

Here is a list of all the postings Muzzer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mach3 mystery error
16/10/2018 12:48:18

I've looked at it but not used it. But I know someone who does and he's very happy with it on a large Shizuoka knee mill like mine. I've used some of their servo drives and am pretty happy with both the hardware and the associated config software. I'd certainly be very tempted myself.

Murray

Thread: Needle thrust bearings
16/10/2018 12:37:34

Think again John. **LINK**

Murray

Thread: Hello and Bridgeport Mill advice needed
14/10/2018 15:35:29

Yes, you are doing well to have the gib strip so tight the knee won't fall under gravity. You've got the weight of the table, saddle and knee bearing down on it.

Are you sure the knee gib locks aren't tightened? You should find the gib adjuster easier to loosen if you are lowering the knee, especially if it is only held up by the gib itself.

It must be a bugger to raise the knee now, as presumably it appears to be twice as heavy as normal....

Murray

Thread: Cleaning with Parafin?
13/10/2018 21:53:43
Posted by Mark Rand on 13/10/2018 19:50:39:

I found a 'garage' locally, actually an ex-garage that's still in business repairing cars, that only has two pumps. One is red diesel for contractors and small farmers and better still, the other is kerosene! I was over the moon when I found them, because the kerosene ishalf the price of DERV.

Not obvious what the difference is between paraffin and kerosene. Certainly, Wikipedia doesn't seem to think there is much of one. Kerosene / paraffin are cheaper than diesel because the are not subject to fuel duty, which is almost 50% of the pump price. No point paying fuel duty for parts cleaning.

From what I can tell, Gunk degreasant is just a mixture of light petroleum distillate and a detergent. You could make your own from white spirit, paraffin, diesel etc if you could be bothered. When I use Gunk, I rinse the parts in stinking hot water. That way, any minor residual moisture evaporates from the hot parts.

Murray

Thread: Warco VMC worklight
13/10/2018 21:39:10

Yes, it's funny how they were allowed to describe them as "energy saving", when in fact their consumption is about 3/4 of a std incandescent bulb. I got sick of changing them and they were so damned expensive. Now the LED ones produce the same output for about 1/6 of the power and last a lot longer.

Murray

Thread: new toy tormach 1100
13/10/2018 21:31:57

I hope you got one of the good ones. It seems that their quality has "taken a turn in the road" recently.

Here's one guy's story:

At least this should give you an idea what to look for.
Murray
Thread: Engineering Workshop Practice books
13/10/2018 15:02:48

I didn't know about Oxfam Online. They seem to have quite a collection of second hand books and aren't fools when it comes to valuation. Currently they have a 2nd edition of Snelling's "Soft Ferrites" which is correctly priced at £250. I have a copy I bought for £25 but most sellers are wise to the current value.

Must bear them in mind next time I'm looking.

Murray

Thread: Maplin Electronics Stores
12/10/2018 20:34:10

Well at least you won't have to fight off the brainless staff to make a purchase any more. And presumably less of the "boutique" content - going up against highstreet showrooms like Currys etc probably wasn't a brilliant idea.

Don't forget if you are happy to buy stuff online, CPC have set the bar for cost and range. Much of their stuff is the same as their sister company (Farnell) but often at lower prices. However, they stock stuff Farnell doesn't keep and vice versa.

Murray

Thread: Twin Tube HF fluorescent lighting for the workshop
12/10/2018 20:20:53

If your HF ballasts screw up your radio it suggests you should have bought them from a more reputable outlet. It's illegal to sell stuff that doesn't meet the EMC requirements (look at EN55011). Are you using Chinesium crap?

You will also note that despite what you say, the colour temperature is usually specified for fluorescent tubes.

And as mentioned on various previous occasions, LED lights are generally about the same as fluorescent lights in terms of efficiency.

The of the key benefits of HF ballasts is that they turn on almost instantaneously and can coax a little more life out of the tubes before they give up the ghost. As a tube gets older, the voltage rises until it can't be kept running.

For me, one key benefit of LED lights in the workshop is the lack of glass tubes above head height. Belting one of those or dropping one when changing it on top of a ladder could be pretty messy.

Some HF ballasts (and many LED drivers) have very little inherent energy storage, so although it's true that they switch at several kHz, they often have a significant 100Hz component.

Murray

Thread: Another workshop insulation question
09/10/2018 18:39:38
Posted by The Oily Rag on 09/10/2018 09:29:21:

At my comments about the uselessness of IEE488 regulations then they just shrugged their shoulders, suck it up its cheaper for us to distribute this way.

Ah, sounds as if they installed a GPIB cable instead of a mains supply. That would explain the fire. Was it ever described as IEE488??

If the neutral and ground were NOT connected together, I'd be very worried. The neutral would be able to float anywhere between ground and 240Vac which wouldn't be fun. Whether the neutral is connected to ground back at the substation or at the premises shouldn't matter a damn. Various schemes are allowed.

Murray

Edited By Muzzer on 09/10/2018 18:44:16

Thread: Sustainability of under powered VFD on Initial motor starting
08/10/2018 22:52:44

God alone knows where you managed to pay £1400 for a 3kW VFD - they must have seen you coming. Get a true professional quality drive and save the best part of a grand. (But you'll also need an EMC filter).

Mark - no urban myth. Most VFDs specifically tell you not to switch motors under load, particularly vector controlled drives. You say this every time it comes up - perhaps you should write to all the manufacturers and tell them you know better. I know, I know, you have one of the few brands that DOES allow it but exhorting people to ignore the specific instructions regardless of the model won't be doing them any kind of a service.

As pointed out, the VFD starts the motor off at zero speed with a controlled torque and actually very little power draw. Ignoring losses, the electrical power is torque times speed - do the math.

Murray

Thread: Different 3 Phase Convertor help needed please
07/10/2018 12:34:36

If it is this product, the remote "extractable keypad" won't gain you any extra functions. You have to program it using the basic interface provided (which is the same with either interface), just like most other VFDs.

There's no obvious alternative to reading and following the procedure in the manual. Although I'm not an expert on the VFD market, I suspect this is an unusual (rare) product, so unless an expert in their use comes forward, it may simply come down to you to tackle it - somewhere around page 24.

Murray

Thread: Alternative Heat Source
05/10/2018 22:25:04

Nothing wrong with what you are saying, Howard, although I suspect you lost him after the first sentence. Heating by burning hydrocarbons produces a lot of water and there is the risk of CO poisoning. Not clear why anyone would choose to use carbide of all things.

On another front, in many ways it's like lighting a fire - it takes ages for the carbide to stop producing acetylene and you can't store the gas safely. Hardly convenient or safe.

Murray

Thread: ER 32 collet holder run out
05/10/2018 22:16:19

Rater than talk about it, just watch the video #2 and you can see exactly how to do it. That guy is a very experienced toolmaker and his runout is pretty darned good....

Murray

05/10/2018 17:53:10

Have a look at Threadexpress's video channel where he discusses chucks and backplates. The "adjustable backplate" method is just what you are describing and if it's good enough for Cluff (he's a Kiwi it's going to be good enough for the likes of anyone on this forum. There are 3 parts to this video and part 2 seems to have some particularly relevant stuff around 11 minutes in.

If anything it sounds possible your register needs to be further turned back to provide enough adjustment.

Obviously you need to be certain the backplate is clean, free of nicks etc and properly / squarely seated before you start looking to adjust the chuck.

Tell us how you get on.

Murray

Thread: Myford super 7 Positioning servo's on Spindle and main infeed
04/10/2018 14:18:53

Yes, good point. the electronics and controller software don't come cheap, nor do they wire themselves up magically.

No idea how many (if any) they have sold but if course, if you don't ask you don't get....

Murrat

Thread: Aldi Charger - Confidence Dented
03/10/2018 19:35:58

Lots of ill informed tosh about lead free solder here. Almost every electronic product made in the last 5 plus years will be lead free and the process is well understood and consistent. That includes computers, phones, cameras, cars etc etc. There is absolutely no issue with the stuff. Easy target to have a good rant about though....

Murray

Thread: A Big Treat coming for Readers of MEW
03/10/2018 12:51:25
Posted by JasonB on 02/10/2018 19:19:48:

I suppose the same could have been said for your old Alibre, had you exported the files in another format before you were unable to use them they could have been opened in another program.

The trial ran out before I had a replacement. Then my daughter needed some help getting up to speed with Solid Edge and I played with this for a while. Very nice and powerful, proper professional stuff. Then her trial finished and I had access to Solidworks through my job. I have yet to see any mainstream programs that can import native Alibre files, so you are stuck with exporting as STP and IGS which lose most of the model parameters - it's hardly worth doing.

As I recall, the license cost for Alibre was pretty steep, there was no "hobby" pricing and the local rep (covering Canada) was pretty condescending (insulting in fact), so we left it there. Yes, I know it's under new ownership.

30 or even 90 day trials are all very well but just be aware that the time you invest and the work you produce won't be 100 recoverable if you change horses. I enjoyed learning each of SE, SW, Onshape, Inventor and Fusion in a structured, methodical way but if you are just trying to get something done, you might want to look at ongoing costs and whether the features you want are there (or cost extra) before you start.

Murray

02/10/2018 18:53:47

If you have any interest in any of full 3D modelling / drawing environment, true multiaxis CAM (CNC or 3D printing), sheet metal, thermal / stress / vibration analysis, a wide and very open user base, an active development team and user forum etc, then Fusion is for you, not least due to the fact that all of this is free.

It's true that the product is still in development but having followed them (and used it) for the last 3 years or so, they are clearly very close to having a finished product. The "missing" features are probably ones very few us would ever have a need for. If you have any doubt about its capability, have a look at what is being done with it.

Portability or the ability to export your work into other formats is an important consideration. I have some Geomagic / Alibre files that can't be opened unless I pay for a license, whereas the likes of Fusion come with a wide range of import / export capabilities. So even IF Fusion were to start charging (which I doubt), you'd be able to save your work beforehand and open it in another application. I can do this with my existing SW files, although there is no way with any import filter to retain the mates / joints / assembly constraints, so you have to reassemble the individual parts afterwards

There was another factor that caused me to stop using my works Solidworks licence - the longer I used it, the more work would be at risk of loss unless I were eventually to buy a license myself, at vast initial (and eyewatering ongoing "maintenance" costs. This greedy behaviour on the part of Solidworks is of course the very opportunity that the Fusion team is capitalising on.

Murray

Thread: G-Code editor with back plotting
02/10/2018 18:09:28

This is pretty good. ncviewer Opens in a browser and you can simply drag and drop your file into the window. Written by an intern with Autodesk - I think you can be certain he was offered a job afterwards.

If you created your g code in Fusion 360, it has some very powerful plotting functions and stuff like tool / holder / workholder clash detection.

Murray

Edited By Muzzer on 02/10/2018 18:10:10

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Meridienne Sept 5
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Shapiro
Warco
ChesterUK
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest