By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Alan Wilkinson 1

Here is a list of all the postings Alan Wilkinson 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Parting off
09/06/2020 16:04:06

Right parting off, the tool must be on centre but be aware that as soon as you put on a cut the work rides up due to play in the spindle bearings so you need to set your tool to compensate for wear lift, if you are hand feeding the work goes up and down has you wind unless you keep the pressure on all the way, that’s why power feed is better, so set your tool higher by the amount of play in your bearings and then it’s like cutting butter. ATB Alan

Thread: Femi Hem Saw 782XL
06/06/2020 17:41:19

Ok its for the chop then thanks all for replies.

06/06/2020 17:14:18

mine came from Italy but can I just lop off the 2 pin plug and fit a proper one??

Edited By Alan Wilkinson 1 on 06/06/2020 17:14:52

06/06/2020 17:06:31

Hi I just bought a Femi Hem saw and its got a two pin plug on it is it ok to just cut this off? and fit one of ours the only two pin adaptors I have are only 1amp rated so will not stand the saw I dont think.?

ITs the 780xl model I though I had seen a posting on here about Jason having one but cannot find it now,

atb Alan

Thread: internal grooves for o rings
02/06/2020 17:14:16

Internal grooves cutting rubs because you do not have enough front clearance. I grind the front clearance to the radius of the bottom of the groove then no rubbing.

Edited By Alan Wilkinson 1 on 02/06/2020 17:16:15

Thread: Logging in
20/05/2020 11:55:23

I also have trouble logon on but my problem is it keeps telling me my password is incorrect so they send a new one and that doesn’t always work. So not our end its crap admin. PS I got logged on for this wonder if i will again??

Edited By Alan Wilkinson 1 on 20/05/2020 12:03:28

Thread: Using a cats cradle corectly
14/05/2020 18:11:29

we always called them a spider useed when turning long hexagone or square bar just set them on the bar ajust to run true by the screws then use steady also used on backend of head stock to stop long bars from whipping

Thread: Paint prep
29/02/2020 15:48:14

Hi a query for you paint experts, I have made a traction engine steam chest from bar cast iron ,the covers are bronze, studs and nuts steel. what prep is needed for painting I Have high heat paint stove paint but it says nothing about priming or what ever The chest covers etc are bronze what do I need for them or would you just black the block and polish up the bronze ATB Alan

Thread: change wheels
25/07/2019 13:12:39

Thank you all gears now ordered for £17.50 so all good. Alan

24/07/2019 12:49:59

anybody know where i can get some change wheels for my Myford 7 I need 70t and 20I but do not want to spend silly money, any help please.

Thread: bunging up hole in CI
13/02/2019 12:04:38

Thanks to you all I have now ordered some JB weld and will go with your seggestions thank you.

Edited By Alan Wilkinson 1 on 13/02/2019 12:05:17

12/02/2019 21:44:53

will not silver solder be ok make a cast iron screwed plug then solder it???

12/02/2019 15:40:42

the drilling was for asteam way so nothing going in. it will be painted over so matching is not an issue.

12/02/2019 13:48:45

What is the best way of plugging it ? make a Ci screwed plug and silver solder or a steel one and solder that which could then be peened over if it leeks. the hole is 4mm

Thread: Burrell Cylinder
16/01/2019 16:52:39

Thanks all for the thoughts I have now got started I set up both blocks on the milling table and machined the saddle radius with a Boreing head moved over and baored the cylinnder bore at the same setting to maintane paralell then set on round table and machined the radius on the outer flangs of saddle radius I did this by turnig a bung to size of saddle radius with a boss to fit centre of table then it was easiy to get radius to match, Then made a bung to suit bore put block on this a machined around the make boss dia as per a casting, so all going a lot better than expected, now for the valve chamber a nd drillings.

Thread: It's a thread Jim, but...
10/12/2018 15:11:47

Using carbide then you must use the right speed 600 rev at least ,preferably 1000+ then you will have a nice shiny finish. look up the recomended speeds and be shocked at work we would cut that size at 2000RPM no problem.

Thread: Marking out
05/12/2018 15:36:25

thanks all we used to use a white paint at work which showed up well but not sure what it was, ordered some blue now.

still no ideas on copper phosphate?

05/12/2018 13:59:21

Hi all what do you use for marking out I used to use blue but its dried up so was looking for somthing else, I heard you could use Copper sulphate now I have some of this its a blue powder not sure what to do withit any ideas or alternatives. please i want to mark on cast iron.

Thread: Burrell Cylinder
22/10/2018 12:57:48

thank you I will think again and again yes the dummy cylinder sounds a good one, my round table is both planes.

21/10/2018 12:32:08

Thanks, I was thinking of doing it on the lathe because I was a turner, I was going to make two together so in balance and then I can accuratly messure the radius. Face down the front and leave a shoulder IE a flange then part down the back and make the back flange then take the face plate off and set it up on the mill the face plate making it easier to set square any thoughts?

Edited By Alan Wilkinson 1 on 21/10/2018 12:35:54

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest