By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for peak4

Here is a list of all the postings peak4 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cheese grater strip/band
13/05/2020 01:54:10

Ian, see P24 of this pdf

UK contact details HERE

Good luck, hope you're keeping well over there

Bill

Thread: A Big Thank You to all Forum Members
05/05/2020 01:27:07
Posted by Mike Poole on 04/05/2020 23:12:42:

All in all this is a pleasant place to visit and thank you to our moderators and contributors for making it so.

I notice that IanSC has gone absent again which is rather worrying after he explained his last absence, let’s hope he can beat whatever has caused this one.

Mike

I was wondering how Raphael is getting on as well, having read his last post, the best part of a month ago.

Bill

Thread: MEW Special edition 2008 Cherry interview
03/05/2020 17:29:34

This item on ebay may be of interest

Bill

Thread: Clarkson autolock help
01/05/2020 00:23:01
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 30/04/2020 22:08:11:

I've played with one of the old C-type chucks, as I ground a new centre for the owner, but never used one in anger. All my Clarkson chucks are the later S-type. I've never had a problem with the nut sticking, even on the larger ones I use on the horizontal mill.

Andrew

For various reasons I have both C & S types , as well as a Titanic, and something else quite obscure of which I can't remember the name.
Of the three, I always seem to go for the C type unless it's in use on the other mill.
Possibly because it's the first one I acquired.
It does have the advantage, that used with care, it will hold plain shank cutters, as the closing sleeve is separate to the collet.
I've never found any instructions for the "C" type; can anyone assist please?

Bill

Thread: Maurice Worthington RIP
30/04/2020 12:35:14

I've just come across this report in our local paper.
I never knew the chap, but mentioning it here in case others did.
Seems a likeable and talented engineer.

Bill

Thread: Eunicell SR44 ... These are very cheap, but are they any good ?
30/04/2020 02:20:27

I tend to stock up on button cells when Lidl have them on seasonal special offer.
They seem to work well enough, and certainly better than the Poundland type cheapo ones.

Bill

Thread: How difficult is it to subscribe to MEW?
20/04/2020 11:35:12

Just tried it, and it seems to work, up to the point of final ordering, which I didn't do, as I already subscribe
This page
https://me.secureorder.co.uk/MEW/PPC18/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqdPrseb26AIVCc13Ch3D6gXYEAAYASAAEgJuLPD_BwE

For normal subs and back issues, log onto the forum and look at the top black bar, where there are links for subscribe and back issues.

Good Luck

Bill

Thread: Shoe repair glue advice?
18/04/2020 00:31:51

So far, the best I've found is an American product, Shoe Goo, available in black or clear.
There's a supposed EU equivalent available from some skateboard shops, but it really doesn't work as well.
I actually use it for building up worn patches on the soles of my favourite shoes, before they wear through completely, also US made but no longer available (Teva Oraibi).

Last time I looked Repair Products were about the cheapest, with a pretty quick service, though that pre-dated the present issues.

Bill

Thread: Selecting an Engineer's level
17/04/2020 00:06:18

If you still decide to purchase one, good brand name ones are often available on ebay for less than £30; e.g. Starrett, M&W, Rabone etc.

Bill

Thread: What are these for
06/04/2020 12:48:48
Posted by not done it yet on 06/04/2020 11:23:32:

P4,

My first thought, but the bolt cannot push and pull at the same time? Because BB has not said there are any movable parts at the bottom end have to assume they simply fit in a slot of some description. Parts for some form of jig?]..............................

Edited By not done it yet on 06/04/2020 11:25:42

Wouldn't it work if the "toolpost" was poking through a thick washer to set the centre height of the tip; so long as the washer is thick enough to raise the bottom of the tool above the oval bottom of the hole of course.

Bill

06/04/2020 00:50:19

The pair on the right look like lantern toolholders.
Would they slide into a T slot in the topslide?
The square headed screw would lighten down on the toll and lock both tool and holder.

Bill

Thread: New Mill
03/04/2020 11:02:15

Paraffin stove maybe?
Bill

Thread: New design of mains plug?
01/04/2020 12:13:42
Posted by Roger B on 01/04/2020 11:47:50:

The harmonised colour coding, Brown, Blue, Green/Yellow, was bought in to deal with a number of safety issues on the biggest being the German use of Red for the earth conductor as they thought it was the most important. As others have said the colours were chosen with colour blindness in mind, especially the bi-colour earth.

I can remember when we got the email round at work advising of the new harmonised colour schemes.
Telecoms power normally uses -50v and the old convention was black earth and blue -50v.

New convention is Blue earth and Grey -50v, so the blue changed use from the relevant date.

The exception was System X digital, which used overgrown twinned figure of eight cable (10mm ) for power supplies.
The plastic was all grey with the -50v battery being marked with a blue stripe.
From the relevant date, we had to use the same cable, but with the colours reversed.

Hence a fuse panel rack was likely to have mixed colours of wiring in the same cabinet (with appropriate warning labels of course)

Appropriate for today, the email was dated 1st April, so no-one believed it at first. laugh

Bill

Thread: What are you doing to stay safe
29/03/2020 03:38:34

Maintain g a very low profile.
When I do lever the property, as opposed to the house, such as to go to the open air market's greengrocer, I leave the route to the bathroom with open doors for my return; to wash hands without further touching anything.

Also, as I leave the house, I cover the outside door handles with a bit of clingfilm, which I remove and bin on the way back in. The route inside the house to the sink, already being clear having previously left the interior doors open.

The cling film on the handles has other advantages as I'm trying to teach myself to scrape a flat surface; Micrometer blue everywhere. blush

Bill

Thread: Manual for Elliott / Victoria / Gate Omnimill 00
28/03/2020 12:01:01

I may still have a chance of picking up one of these when we are allowed to move around the country again.
Any info would be much appreciated if anyone does have anything in electronic format, though for obvious reasons, there no wild rush.
Really not sure how much these normally sell for though; I've not check the wear or anything on this one, though it will come reasonably equipped in terms of milling chuck, vice etc.

I'd likel;y use it to complement the Centec 2b and sell on my Dore Westbury, though I might miss the long column on the latter.

Thanks

Bill

Thread: Machine feet/mounts?
27/03/2020 10:25:47

If you type "adjustable feet" into ebay, there are loads of cheaper, non-resilient mount, ones for not much money.
I'm using a mixture of the lighter ones with the ball ends on the threaded bit and, for the heavier machine, this type, which are a but stronger.

They seem to work well enough

Bill

Thread: Myford Power Cross Feed Screws & Nuts
26/03/2020 01:55:37

Richard, lubrication, and main bearing adjustment, was the reason I was wondering if you had a manual.

I gave the main spindle bearings a squeeze from a grease gun when I got it; the previous owner had already started cleaning it up when he decided to sell it.
They are rough round the edges, and certainly not as well finished as the genuine article, but it seems to work well enough.
If mine's anything to go by, be careful with the clutch; my one was downright dangerous as it would occasionally just engage itself. I dis a bit of work on the camming release engage lever and it's now a more positive action.
Like you I wasn't happy with the cross feed spindle, but I've not replaced it.
I smartened up the handle end of the cross slide screw, and re-bored the black support bracket to suit, as well as making a new collar adjusting nut. The grub screw worked directly on the threaded section, so now has a nylon pad.
I can also confirm that a Myford Taper Turning attachment fits OK, though the bed casting is tapped metric, rather than BSF.

I was in the process of a very slow house move (2 1/2 years) and the workshop largely remained in Sheffield; various machinery, with a pre-power X feed S7 changewheel machine as the lathe.

I spotted the 720 advertised locally and was seduced by the gearbox, power X feed and a brand new inverter motor package. It came at a good price and was installed in the new house in Buxton.
The old house is now sold and the workshop moved over here, so I have the Warco and the genuine S7 here, as well as a more recently acquired Warco GH1330 for bigger stuff.
The real S7 will go eventually, it's a bit worn and was originally painted in blue Hammerite, which I've now scraped off, and bought a tin of grey paint.
The cabinet will have to stay blue for the time being.

Bill

Thread: Coronavirus
25/03/2020 12:49:27
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 25/03/2020 12:19:58:
Posted by J Hancock on 25/03/2020 11:58:33:

No valid DoT and the car is on the road ?

What do the insurance people have to say about that ?

'Goverment are working with insurers to ensure people will be covered'

Assuming the rules are followed, surely it will have an MOT as the government are extending your current one by 6 months.
You won't have a paper copy, but it will show on the on-line MOT checker as everything catches up.

Thread: The Home Workshop Dictionary - FREE E-BOOK
25/03/2020 09:39:03

That seemed to work OK, Thanks Neil.

Bill

Thread: Myford Power Cross Feed Screws & Nuts
24/03/2020 13:27:20
Posted by Richard Black 2 on 24/03/2020 12:32:26:

Hello there,

Sorry to be joining on an old post but would be very grateful if anyone could tell me the dimensions of a super7 power feed cross slide nut and screw please?

I have a Warco 720 (super7 Taiwanese copy) which is not a bad lathe but the nut seems to be worn and I would like to try and find out if the Myford one will fit.

I would be very grateful if anyone could help please.

Thank you very much,

Richard.

I too have one of those, but unfortunately can't assist with the query as my real S7 is pre Power xFeed
I don't suppose yours came with a manual did it?

Hello and Welcome by the way.

p.s. I can confirm that the 33/34 tooth gear wheel addition works OK for cutting metric threads, though I needed to get a genuine Myford drive gear to mount them on.

Bill

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest