By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for peak4

Here is a list of all the postings peak4 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford LH leadscew assembly
03/02/2020 20:08:13

There appears to be several on ebay at the moment

Bill

Thread: How to hand grind 55 degree cutter for 32TPI?
03/02/2020 15:51:20

A slightly offbeat thought. 32TPI would be 3/16" BSF in a 55º form.

Maybe use a single chaser out of a set from a ¼" Coventry diehead.
I've just checked my spare ones, but the only 32TPI chasers I have are UNF so 60º

Bill

Thread: renew driving licence
02/02/2020 01:39:37

Duncan, I'm not sure exactly which classes exactly are legitimately able to roll over, but that aside, several folks have suggested taking a copy of your licence.
I would add to that; get a certified copy of your licence.
This should be available via a solicitor, or your bank amongst others, at minimal expense, and is likely to hold more weight in court.
The DVLA seem to have "interesting" interpretations of some legislation, allegedly frequently to the detriment of the licence holder.

One of those stories twice removed, so to speak.
Mt friend's wife's ex-teacher sent her licence off for renewal, I think due to an address change, but I'm not sure.
The DVLA claimed they had no record of her having passed a test and refused to send replacement licence.
They said she had to re-take her test.
I'm 63, my mate is a year or so younger, so I guess his wife's ex teacher must be in the order of 80. She couldn't face a new test and thus had to sell her car.

Now I appreciate the argument that older drivers should need to prove their competence, but that really isn't the method which should be used.

Bill

Thread: What a sad day for the British motorcycle industry.
31/01/2020 00:50:54

As a fellow biker, I've been following this with interest, particularly since the Visordown article last year.,

The two best reports I've seen thus far about the present problems are in The Guardian, and The FT Advisor.

A good friend of mine has one of the earlier ones of the new Nortons, and I think/hope, recently cancelled his order for one of the latest ones.

It almost seems to have shades of De-Lorean.

For the record. 1979 Bonneville 750, 1983 Guzzi LeMans3, 1989 Yamaha XT600 & 1977 Ducati 900GTS in the garage at the moment. All nominally on the road, but the Duke needs a bit of work due to an oil leak.

Also '74 Landrover Lightweight (3.5V8 auto), Disco-1, Peugeot Expert van for a house move, and a Marlin Berlinetta 2l Pinto (plus a small fleet insurance policy.)

Bill

Thread: Eclipse No 101 Adjustable Scribe
29/01/2020 23:07:57

For the non blackened parts, try soaking for a day or so in vinegar.
I just save what's left over from a jar of pickled onions, and decant into a larger container.

Wash of the then softened, rust in hot soapy water with a fine wire brush; I use one of the little ones with stainless bristles, as they are even gentle on the hands.

N.B. use hot water and dry the part immediately on an old towel; that you used hot water assists here, as the last remains of the dampness will evaporate. The part will surface rust again in very few minutes.
Spray with WD40 or similar whilst still warm.

The procedure removes the rust, but still leaves a pleasant patina on an older item.

I've done this with various very rusty tools from car boot sales etc.
Even a solidly seized pair of pliers can be given a new lease of life with little effort or risk of damage.

Bill

Thread: Milling machine & Shaper query
29/01/2020 11:45:57
Posted by Steven Woodward on 28/01/2020 22:42:07:

It sounds like people like their shaper machines....

Out of interest what is the sort of footprint required for an 8" shaper like a Boxford and how heavy are they?

Regards
Steven

Steven, the Boxford chip tray is 18 ½" x 34", obviously that's a bit bigger than the cabinet floor footprint.

On the long side, the ram needs a further 7" beyond the tray as it slides back and forth.

The manual doesn't seem to give a weight, but I moved one myself in a van.
It was already partially stripped down, also separated from the cabinet, and I had a hand to load up.
Unloaded OK on my own, but I do have an elevating hydraulic table/trolley on wheels.

Reassembled OK alone, and added a VFD in the main cabinet. I retained the original mains push buttons, but removed the contact breaker behind them and replaced with microswitches to control the VFD.
N.B. make sure the motor runs in the correct direction; the cutting stroke should be slower than the return stroke.

Bill

27/01/2020 19:49:00

Last year I bought an 8" Boxford shaper to accompany by Dore Westbury and Centec 2B mills.
It does get used now, and it will get used more as and when I get more workshop time.

Tooling is cheap and easily re-sharpened.

I know of an Elliott 10M which might be coming up for sale, though I don't thing it's been used for a year or two.
I guess that would depend on your budget and locality.

If you're any where near Buxton, you're welcome to drop in and have a look round my Boxford, though it's certainly not for sale.

Bill

p.s. Hello and welcome by the way.

Edited By peak4 on 27/01/2020 19:51:38

Thread: Speetol Tap Grinding Jig
27/01/2020 11:33:13

Thanks for the replies thus far folks; I do have the Clarkson instructions, but whilst similar in idea, this does seem to differ a bit in the setting up. For instance, there are no stops on the swing handle to limit the cut.

I have a Clarkson grinder to mount it on, but I'd be guessing even about wheel height.

Also it seem to be designed for taps down to 10BA or 1/16" BSW, both of which I could make a complete hash of without instructions. (Typo above when I said 12BA)

Off out now to try and work out how to change a sidelight bulb in a Peugeot Expert. crook

Cheers

Bill

26/01/2020 23:53:04

A Sunday evening query for you all.
Has anyone ever come across a Speetol jig for sharpening taps; well I say sharpening, it looks like it's for adding the tapers and grinding the relief on the cutting edges.
I'm trying to work out how to set it up, as it was designed to be used, rather than just guessing; my Google fu seems to have failed on this one.

A well used wooden box contains a set of guides engraved for BSW from ¼" down, and BA from 0 -12.

Speetol jig in a box

This also contains a baseplate, with holes labelled 1st, 2nd, & 3rd, each with an adjacent slot, presumably for each of the three normal tapers in a set of taps.
There is also a rectangular cutout with a couple of arrows, which I guess are to point to the corner of a grinding wheel.
I'm not sure if the idea is to grind on the corner, or on the wide cutting face, or what shaped wheel it's been designed for use with. It looks to present the tap at an angle to the rectangular cutout, so I'm guessing the plan is to use the corner of a wheel. Maybe the arrows point to the point in space where the corner of a wheel should be aligned at centre height.
The actual end of the tap protrudes beyond the plate, which would make sense, as it's above centre height, so that part of the wheel would be further away. I guess i could play with a few different diameter wheels to see if that looks likely.

Speetol base plate

There is also the actual business part, with a sliding rod, and chuck, which fastens in each of the three holes. There is a cam which engages in the relevant slot in the plate which, when the ball ended lever is moved, swings the whole assembly about a pivot point concentric with the round holes.

Speetol swinging arm

The very right hand corner of the box contains a little Tee handled bolt which forms the pivot point as well as attaching the arm to the baseplate. Seen here assembled with a ¼" BSF tap and its associated guide bush

Speetol assembled

There is an adjustable guide and 3+4 legged indexing collar, which slides the main bar and chuck back and forth as it is rotated. The knife edge guide is adjustable for right and left handed taps.
There doesn't seem to be any way to index the orientation of the tap in the chuck; no detent to point to, or set, the cutting edge of a flute or anything like that.
This also seems odd as it's one of those chuck that rotates the jaws as it's tightened, unlike a keyed chuck.

Speetol relief adjustment

And finally a plan view showing the ball ended handle, which rotates the eccentric in the slot.
That in turn swings the whole arm about the chosen pivot hole; 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.
There are no stops for the ball ended handle, to limit the angle of the arc, and thus the cut.
Swinging the handle of course, will alter the angle as well as the cut, which i find a bit odd.

Speetol plan view

Has anyone ever seen one, or even better have some instructions?
I assume it must be intended to bolt onto a T&C grinder or similar, using the hole above the trademark stamp. I can't quite visualise at what angle, or height, it's intended to present the tap to the grinding wheel.

Thanks in anticipation

Bill

Edited By peak4 on 27/01/2020 00:09:41

Thread: TE winter storage
26/01/2020 20:44:11

Here's an interesting review in the bike press, which doesn't rate ACF-50 too highly.
Note the methodology though, involving spraying salt water and repeatedly hosing down to simulate riding a bike over winter.

That said, I've been using ACF-50 on Landrover(s) and bikes OK, and it is designed for aviation.

I also like Motorex 645 "Protect and Shine", though I think it's been re-marketed as MotoProtect

The latter goes on nicely as a fine spray and doesn't seem to attract too much dust; when allowed to dry, it's barely noticeable. I've been using that on the bare alloy wheels on the Marlin kit car, and have only polished them properly a couple of times in the last 10 years or so; yes they still look OK, though I tend to avoid using it on salty roads.

Bill

Thread: New member saying hi
26/01/2020 20:30:00

Hello from Buxton

Bill

Thread: What geen grinding wheels for tools
24/01/2020 01:06:31

Stevie, I'm not going into which wheels to get as that's been covered by those with more professional experience than me.
Re. diamond wheel truers, I have a single point one in a 3/8" bar, but only use it on the Clarkson tool and cutter grinder. This has a proper dovetail slide, so I can mount the bar in a holder and skim the wheel accurately. I've tried using it on my bench grinder(s) similar to yours, but struggle to get a good flat finish due to lack of a sliding toolrest.

One of THESE works well freehand and can cost very little money. It has the advantage of presenting a flat surface to the wheel, rather than a single point. Essentially small diamond grains in a block on a handle; mine came from ebay for about £3.

One can also use a Devil Stone, a bit like a normal carborundum bench stone, but designed for truing grinding wheels, rather than hand sharpening planes and chisels.

Note that the resin bonded diamond honing wheels also need truing up. The diamond grit on these is retained in something like a hard rubber compound, which needs initially truing, then having a new surface exposed from time to time.
This is also done with a stone, similar to a Devil Stone, but counter-intuitively, it's quite soft, in the same way that a green grit wheel for grinding carbide is quite soft.
They are available from many sources, but mine came from Axminster Power Tools. Their description says it just cleans the wheel, but I did find it also trued mine up. Note though, that my Diamond wheels(s) are the resin bonded type on an aluminium disk, rather than those with grit embedded in a metal coating on a steel disk.

Bill

Edited By peak4 on 24/01/2020 01:11:28

Thread: Power Hacksaw Blades
22/01/2020 14:08:53

Woodworker's plane blades make quite a good alternative when I need a wider scraper.

My smaller power hacksaw is a Manchester Rapidor Junior, which only takes 9" blades, so i have a few spare ends that I use left over from shortening longer blades.
The hardest bit is drilling the new holes in the HSS blades

Bill

Thread: Caliper friction washers
21/01/2020 15:45:56

You could try looking up Belville or Crinkle/Wobble washers.
Some of the latter are quite thin and my be available in suitable sizes.

Bill

Thread: Sent lathe back
21/01/2020 13:13:00

Just been to the garage to check my 4 jaw, assuming the Simat thread of my vintage (and they did change) is the same as the earlier Cowells then the following may be of use. I was told it was when I bought it.

It's M14x1.5mm

Pratt Burnerd
1528/65290
F04412

Bill

Thread: Centec 2a Gear Box Oil
21/01/2020 13:03:57
Posted by geoff adams on 21/01/2020 12:52:20:

Hi Martin been out to workshop my centec 2a brass plate says shell vittrea 41 or mobil oil heavy went to my local motorist discount center they got on the internet and came up with an substitute ep 80w 90 gear and differental

hope this helps Geoff

Geoff, I'd be wary about using an EP gear oil in anything with bronze bushes.
I believe Vitrea 41 equates to a plain ISO100 weight gear oil

Bill

Thread: Sent lathe back
21/01/2020 00:28:00
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 20/01/2020 21:15:31:
Posted by 34046 on 20/01/2020 21:04:58:

[...]

The Cowells from memory is 14 mm by 1 mm ?, but I stand to be corrected.

Bill,

Is now = Yes

Was always = No

See previous post

MichaelG.

Agreed, when I bought my Simat in the early '80s it came with a 14x1.5mm spindle.
The 3 jaw and backplate came with it, but as I recall, I ordered the threaded body 4 jaw separately as an early Cowells type.

Bill

Thread: Why is my silver steel undersize
19/01/2020 11:14:16
Posted by BOB BLACKSHAW on 19/01/2020 10:46:06:

I also noted that the 8mm rods from old printers are undersize by .08mm which I've used for axels and made bushes to fit,any reason why?

Bob

Maybe because they are 5/16";

7.92mm = 0.3118"

5/16"=0.3125" only 7 tenths of a thou different

Where were the printers made?

Bill

Edited By peak4 on 19/01/2020 11:14:43

Thread: Mobile Phone
18/01/2020 13:10:51

Yes Tesco Mobile used O2 as an airtime provider.
If you go to Google Store and have a look around, there are a number of apps which will tell you which cell site to which your phone is currently registered.

Netmonitor is one such app, but there are others, I can't recommend one over another.

Bill

Thread: Biax Power Scraper
17/01/2020 23:52:50
Posted by John Waller on 17/01/2020 23:34:12:

Hi Bill - Thanks very much for your message - always appreciated.

I've already now got two Biax scraper wink

KR

John

I realise that, but thought someone else might be interested in adapting it .
I'm not sure I could justify a real one, or the time involved making one, though the Instagram link is interesting.

Bill

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
cowells
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest