By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for peak4

Here is a list of all the postings peak4 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: warco lathes.
07/03/2020 01:41:49
Posted by Lathejack on 07/03/2020 00:47:18:

Yes I did have to fix the faulty carraige lock on my 1330 lathe, it's a stepped steel plate but I cannot remember if I remachined the original one or made another, it was over 14 years ago when I did it. I also fitted an adjustable 'Bristol' type handle while I was at it.

The lock is well in from the edge of the saddle and I'm sure you can't get at it without separating the apron from the saddle. I fixed the lock on mine when I had the apron off to fix a manufacturing fault on the power feed shaft gearing at the back, and also the saddle off to correct the dreadfully rough bearing surface of the vee way on the under side of the saddle that was beginning to damage the surface of the lathe bed after only several hours of use.

Thanks, I was trying to work out how to separate the saddle from the apron without going too deep in.
I already have the Bristol handle in stock ready to go. No signs of any nasty marks on my bed, so hopefully OK on that score.
I did download the Grizzly manual, so I'll have a ponder on splitting the saddle/apron.

Bill

Thread: brazilian lathe restoration
06/03/2020 23:51:01

Looking good.

It must be nice to wear a T shirt in the workshop.
I've been cleaning up a little surface grinder today; insulated trousers, thick shirt, jumper and padded waistcoat. I was considering a hat as well, but when I came into the house to get one, I was seduced by a cup of tea and a pie. Never did make it back to the shop.

laugh

Bill

06/03/2020 23:11:36
Posted by Lathejack on 06/03/2020 22:52:40:

I've had a Warco GH1330 for over 15 years, ...................

Have you ever had cause to strip the carriage lock. My machine's one of the older imperial ones, and said lock seems quite iffy. It's just an M8 bolt going through the top plate, presumably to some sort of a pinch block underneath the front of the front shear. I'm loathe to take the bolt out for fear of losing wheterver it threads into.

Cheers

Bill

Thread: New storage space
06/03/2020 20:11:29

I did something similar when we moved over to the new house, though unfortunately I've only got about 3' headroom.

House also on a slope and beam and block construction for the floor. When I had the garage built and needed to get services to it, the easiest way was under the house, rather than digging a trench. We knocked through a couple of the outer walls, under the kitchen and lounge and ran the services underneath (water + electric) plus I also ran a 2" duct all the way underneath to the existing garage on the other side of the house.

This houses phone line, burglar alarm cable(s), a few CAT5s and an airline. The latter means I can have an air supply in the original garage, without needing a second compressor.

The hole in the wall under the kitchen was reinstated, and the one under the dining room had a UPVC door made to fit. Low headroom, but ideal for storing ladders, scaffold tower, long bits of metal, and a load of Landrover and Marlin spares.

Bill

Thread: Hello
06/03/2020 20:00:35
Posted by Ian Paterson 1 on 06/03/2020 17:50:47:

Hello Brian

I’ve been looking, reading to get an idea of what might be suitable. And whittled it down to this as possibilities.

Boxford me10, Raglan 5”, Atlas 10”. As you can see a 5” + centre height would be good 2’ between chuck and tailstock and many bits as possible. What are the thoughts, knowledge on these ?

Advice gratefully received Ian

G&M aren't that far from you and have a small selection of stuff about that size, including a Harrison L5

I guess it depends on your budget; I should say I've never used an L5, but this one does have a taper attachment included.

Bill

06/03/2020 19:52:34
Posted by roy williams 3 on 06/03/2020 19:06:47:

hi have just bought a warco 1322 lathe and am finding it awkward to use, then I realized it was left hand, all warco lathes seem to be this way, does any one else have problems having the carriage hand wheel on the left?

I've a 1330 which also has the handwheel on the left

It's loosely based on the design of the Harrison M300, with one stage of the gearbox removed and instead supplied with changewheels.

On the Harrison by default, on gap beds, the handwheel was on the left, and on plain beds it was on the right; I think either could be specified by special order.
It may not make it any easier to use from your point of view, and it does expose ones hand more readily to hot metal chips, but it does at least explain it for you.

Bill

Thread: Hello
06/03/2020 16:32:20

Hello and welcome from Buxton.

T140, LeMan3, XT600 & 900GTS

Bill

Thread: Complicated post
06/03/2020 13:54:06

One more thought to chuck in the pot, I've previously mentioned my own machinery, which it looks may not be appropriate for you.
A good second hand machine, depending on its source, may come quite well equipped, thus saving you lots of cash on tooling and vices etc.
Carefully selected and priced, it has a pretty much fixed value, whether you are the third, fourth or fifth owner.
If you decide it's not for you, then you should be able to sell it on for little different to what you paid.

You will however have gained experience, and by then know why it wasn't for you, and thus what to look for in the replacement machine.

If you buy the wrong machine new, you will always be selling at a loss.

Bill

Thread: Help Identifying micrometer
05/03/2020 12:34:12

From your description of the differences, I'm guessing you may already have seen this.

Pages 64 & 65 of this link  a bit of a cross between items 170 & 171, so maybe variants depending on the customers requests

Looks like the 226 might be the current version, but sit down before you look at the price

Bill

Edited By peak4 on 05/03/2020 12:36:08

Edited By peak4 on 05/03/2020 12:39:54

Thread: Coronavirus
04/03/2020 14:47:20
Posted by Cornish Jack on 04/03/2020 13:53:50:

JA, Bill Chugg and Peak4 - should i assume that you reacted similarly to the confirmed statistics for the annual influenza toll? To paraphrase ... 'morbidity is as morbidity does'.

rgds

Bill

Bill, please read what I actually wrote

"Not panicking about the current situation, as I was in the process of setting one up before the present situation arose."

Bill

04/03/2020 13:07:37
Posted by JA on 04/03/2020 12:16:40:

In all this media speculation and near panic about Coronavirus there is a very sensible thing one can do - check your will is up to date or, if you have not made one, make one. Also let your executors know where the will is kept.

I am not trying to be morbid.

JA

The other thing to consider is a Power(s) of Attorney, though it's quite expensive.
Not panicking about the current situation, as I was in the process of setting one up before the present situation arose.

Bill

Thread: Herbert Junior Surface Grinder.
03/03/2020 13:38:30

Police behaved entirely reasonably, and just listed it as owner unknown, though I did explain the circumstances.
I bought the grinder off a chap who'd done a workshop clearance, from a deceased motorcycle builder and muzzle loading enthusiast. Not sure why a black powder shooter would need modern ammunition, but he's no longer around to ask.
I did take the precaution of reporting via 101 to get an incident number, before I left the house with the ammunition, just to cover myself.

Bill

03/03/2020 12:27:40

I picked up a slightly tatty one of these a month or so ago, and knowing that several folks on here have one themselves; I was wondering, does anyone have a manual for it. The only one I can find on the net is on a file sharing site, which needs a credit card for access.

Currently I've got it stripped and am gradually cleaning it to see if I can get by with the level of wear; I know I'm going to have to shim the tapered gib key on the vertical motion, but have the stuff to do that. I may need a thicker key on the table as well.

I completed the re-wiring yesterday, but was rather delayed by the lack of a contactor behind the switch cover. In its place was a Tupperware box containing a variety of live ammunition. surprise

Some .22, 7.62mm, 9mm, 12 bore and 410, along with a load of nail gun cartridges. All are now handed in to the local police station.

It did come with a magnetic chuck, but just too big to re-face on the machine itself, as it's 10"x5" and the grinder only has 4" X travel.

Also Tony's site claims a Y travel of 10", which the rack under the table would just about permit. The motion is controlled by a lever, which interferes with the X handle, and limits travel to about 7 ½", which is too short for my planer blades.
I was thinking of replacing the lever with a normal three spoked hand wheel; any thoughts??

From Lathes.co.uk

a table 21" x 6" (533 x 152 mm) with a single central 7/16" T-slot, a maximum longitudinal travel of 10 inches (though at one setting only 8 inches could be used) and a cross travel of 4 inches.
I'm not quite sure to what the emboldened wording above refers

Bill

Thread: Small milling machine
01/03/2020 12:32:30

Re comments on Centec 2B mills.

If anyone's interested, there seems to be one on ebay at the moment

Bill

Thread: Record Power DMD24A bench/pillar drill
27/02/2020 11:58:25

Peter, have you tried contacting Record Power themselves?

Hello and welcome by the way.

Bill

Thread: I'm making D reamers on a ML8 please help me get a proper lathe!
26/02/2020 13:20:05

Sam, in the example I lashed up above, with the router, it would be normal to advance the router along the bed using the handwheel/rack for parallel slots, or the topslide for slots which aren't parallel to the axis of the chanter.

The headstock can be locked by various means, but for most of them, the carriage couldn't be advanced under power from the motor.

It's possible to fit various forms of dividing or indexing heads to the main spindle to both lock and position it, but the carriage advance would need to be by hand, which shouldn't really cause a problem. e.g. The Hemmingway attachment

The only way I can think to drive the carriage with the chuck (as opposed to whole spindle) locked, is to disengage both the backgear and the backgear driver crescent. This would allow the main spindle to spin, but disengaged from the chuck. The chuck can then be indexed on a jaw, and a block of alloy resting on the bed. This would give 3 way indexing on a 3 jaw or 4 way on a 4 jaw.. With a bit of thought you could probably double that up to 6 way with a 3 jaw.

Alternatively, if your chuck is on a backplate, a series of holes in it's periphery and a peg to engage them, should provide lots of other options.

Bill

25/02/2020 20:31:17
Posted by Sam Lawrence on 25/02/2020 12:45:34:

Oh and Google is not my friend for the bosch router, no results

Edited By Sam Lawrence on 25/02/2020 12:46:07

Sorry Sam, feeling slightly off colour and failed to spot my own typo POF500a not PFF500a

There was a whole different range of similar models over the years, all with detachable motors.
I've a POF50 and a POF52, which is green and a slightly higher wattage

This one's the POF50 in normal config.

bosch pof50.jpg

And shown on the lathe (Warco 720 Super 7 copy)
Just a quick lashup to illustrate the idea, seen here with a 5mm router bit.

router on lathe.jpg

The mounting plate is simple enough, just an alloy sheet with a tenon to fit the tool holder.
It was originally made to fit a different toolholder before I got the Dickson type one, which is why it looks a bit clumsy on here, but you get the idea.

router mounting plate.jpg

Bill

Edited By peak4 on 25/02/2020 20:31:36

25/02/2020 12:29:14

Similar to John Hinkley's comment above, but with most of the engineering already done.

Do a search for Bosch PFF500a router. There was also a slightly smaller blue model, 350??

The router body/motor has a standard collar size and will also fit drill stands.

I made a flat plate to fit in the toolpost of my Myford to take the router body, so I could use it as a basic toolpost grinder, but there's nothing to stop you using a normal woodworking router bit.

Bill

Thread: John Attlee
24/02/2020 22:52:42

Hello and Welcome John. I've a friend with a couple of Diamond Ts

Last job I did for him, was new CV joint bearings for the front steering hubs.

Bill

Thread: Converting an MT3 Arbor to 3/8th Whitworth Drawbar Thread
24/02/2020 18:44:24

I have a slight variation on the problem.

I'm running a Centec 2B which has a 3/8"BSW drawbar, and also a Dore Westbury, which has a 1/4" BSW one.

To ensure interchangeability of tooling, I have a number of little slugs made up to convert from 3/8" to 1/4" (and also M10 to 1/4" for a couple of more recent purchases.)

I haven't got round to it yet, but my intention is to make a new drawbar for the Centec, out of 3/8" rod, so it fits the bore OK, but drilled and tapped 1/4" BSW. I will then Loctite a length of high tensile studding into the hole, thus giving me 1/4" drawbars on both machines, so I can use 1/4", 3/8" and M10 threaded MT2 tapers in everything without needing to swap drawbars.
Most likely I'll use a sawn down Allen bolt to provide the high tensile stud.

Bill

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest