By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for peak4

Here is a list of all the postings peak4 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What mills have you had
21/07/2019 19:28:49

Dore Westbury Mk1

Centec 2B with later quill

Also have a Boxford shaper.

Bill

Thread: What lathes have you had?
21/07/2019 19:26:26

Simat 101

Myford Super 7 pre power x-feed (bitsa, had previously been dropped)

Warco 720 (Myford Super 7B power x-feed) I'd really like to find someone else with one of these.

Warco 1330

Not sold any yet and also have my Dad's Record wood lathe, though I've not used it up to press.

Bill

Edited By peak4 on 21/07/2019 19:26:53

Thread: TTFN
18/07/2019 20:14:40

Andrew, It would be a shame to leave because a (very) small minority of others fail to think of the consequences of their posts, or how they may be interpreted by others.

Fortunately this forum has a lot less than some I frequent, though it does feel like it's happening more of late.

Sad to say, It's not just on this forum, I've seen it increase elsewhere too, but can't really understand why.

All the best

Bill

Thread: Rounded Torx Screw Removal
16/07/2019 20:42:54
Posted by IanH on 16/07/2019 08:00:18:

Look up the thread “saving a tool holder” on here to see another way of doing it.

ian

The search engine on here's not too bright, try "saving a toolholder" i.e. no space in the last word

Alternatively look HERE

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=135941

Bill

Thread: Myford ML7 tailstock bore, and threading the barrel to fit a chuck
14/07/2019 20:17:50

As an alternative and maybe cheaper/simpler method, how about a metal block bolted to the slots on the cross slide, and machined to hold the bow.
Either the block could be made to hold a chuck, or could just have a simple V at centre height with an appropriate clamp, a bit like a normal V block?

Bill

Thread: What are these used for please?
07/07/2019 14:41:43

I've no sense of scale for No.2, but it looks like a punching or embossing tool, for a series of dents or holes along the middle of a strip of something.
Holes in watch straps maybe??

Bill

Thread: Thread Bare
01/07/2019 23:43:41
Posted by Hollowpoint on 01/07/2019 18:41:54:

To make studding quickly and easily take a look at this:

YouTube video

Edited By Hollowpoint on 01/07/2019 18:43:07

I think I'd rather use grub screws than cap-heads to hold the die though.

Bill

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
01/07/2019 23:37:17
Posted by thaiguzzi on 01/07/2019 03:42:12:
Bump.

Another month, another bump.

Anyone?

Could you use a grinding wheel balancer like this?? on ebay UK.
I know some are made in India, which might be a bit cheaper and closer.

See also This One

Bill

Edited By peak4 on 01/07/2019 23:38:33

Thread: Yesterdays Car Boot Haul! Odd items
23/06/2019 23:29:28

I think No1 is a salesman's model of a safety coupling for use on coal tubs down mines, rather than a full sized item.

See This Link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/4gKYyof5RWyqR7zgBLmv9w

I started a quick search based on the idea that part of it looked similar to a wire rope clamp used for tensioning old telephone aerial cables or dropwires, and bingo.

Even though it pre-dates WW1, it didn't stop my Dad getting a crushed finger between two tubs when he was down the mines in WW2

Bill

p.s. looks like I've been pipped at the post. I was replying to an earlier end of the thread and only found the later replies when I replied myself. blush

Edited By peak4 on 23/06/2019 23:35:00

Thread: Centec raising block
23/06/2019 22:41:06
Posted by Gary Wooding on 23/06/2019 22:01:35:

Of the 20 or so raising blocks I've made, 2 were 4" and all the rest were 4.5".

Do you have any plans to make any more Gary; I don't think Tony from lathes.co.uk is intending to commission another batch.

Thanks

Bill

Thread: ABRA File or Modern equivalent ?
20/06/2019 10:52:25

Try here then
https://www.tilgear.info/index.php?category_id=0&search=abrasaw&submit_search=&route=product%2Fsearch

Bill

19/06/2019 18:19:24

Check out this thread, especially the post by Mark Simpson 1

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=137524

Bill

Thread: Rover V8 drilling valve guides
13/06/2019 10:45:27

A bit busy for a long conversation at the moment, but have you considered having the existing guides knurled internally.

My own engine builder considers it better than replacement, particularly for Rover V8s.

Bill

Thread: Gents impulse clock
13/06/2019 10:42:52

I would certainly grab the long case clock before anyone skips or damages it.
Examine carefully before you move it as there may be a lift off pivot for the pendulum. My own ex-GPO one has a set of brackets internally for supporting the pendulum rod for transport, with the cast iron weight being carried separately.

Obviously measure lengths before detaching the weight. My own one(s) were designed for 50v working, but mine have been fine running off 12v for 20 years.

Any chance of some photos please?

Bill

Thread: Horizontal Bandsaw - Final Thoughts
10/06/2019 00:10:05

Machine Mart regularly have VAT free offers on Clarke stuff. There's on on at the moment, though I think you need a voucher code.
Try signing up for their newsletter.

Bill

Thread: Oh bugger, I told you I was ill
05/06/2019 01:46:08

Hope all goes well Mick, let me know if you need a hand swapping the motor out, assuming we haven't completed out house move by then.

Bill

Thread: What's this tool?
28/05/2019 23:36:40

I wonder if it could be part of a version of this cart jack currently on ebay

Bill

Thread: Turning between centres on a Cowells CW lathes
27/05/2019 22:14:18

If you have a chuck, use that to hold a bit of scrap bar and turn it down to a point; there's your nice new guaranteed true dead centre. Maybe even use a square bar in a 4 jaw and turn a parallel section behind the point so you can clock it for re-use.
Drive the workpiece with a right angled carrier/dog off one of the jaws.

Bill

Thread: Getting rid of the garage door...........
25/05/2019 20:04:10

And another variation on the theme of keeping the a door, but in this case replacing it with a sectional, rather than an up and over.

A sectional door works in a similar fashion to a roller shutter, but without needing the headroom for the roller. Thus ut can be opened without any need for you to move the car.

I've just moved house and had a second garage built, the original one having a pair of conventional up and over doors. I.e. I can't park close to them, whilst being able to open the doors.

The new garage has a vertical opening sectional door 40mm thick and insulated. It suppresses noise to save disturbing the neighbours, as well as allowing close parking.
You might find that with one of those, the door does actually get used in the summer. It's also very good for blowing out dust with a garden leaf blower, though my neighbours are more distant than yours.

Mine came from GarageDoorsOnLine who were friendly, helpful and well priced.

https://www.garagedoorsonline.co.uk/shop/Sectional+Door

Bill

Thread: The Putter
25/05/2019 11:15:31
Posted by Rob Rimmer on 24/05/2019 18:30:10:

I was recently sent an email from Workshop Heaven tools, which contained this link to a very interesting video about a man who puts together handmade scissors in Sheffield - hence the name 'The Putter'.

(Must admit I thought it was going to be about golf clubs )

A brief bit about the company HERE, good to see them getting back on their feet again following Nick's sad death.

I did go round the works on their final day, and purchased a few pairs, before the later rescue package was put together.

https://www.ernestwright.co.uk/history/

Bill

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Meridienne Sept 2019
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest