By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ady1

Here is a list of all the postings Ady1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Can opener - the holy grail in engineering?
06/03/2019 09:50:49

It's not a 3 ton boxford mill darling

It's a lifetime guarantee can opener

Thread: supercharged V12 2 stroke
06/03/2019 09:36:25

Nice to see you're still about Dean, was wondering about you

Thread: Kyosho Fairwind
07/02/2019 12:15:03

My dad used to take me sailing on a local pond as a kid with a medium sized indestructible solid wooden yacht

I must confess I miss that boat because those were nice memories

I say indestructible because the local power boat boys bounced off it a few times and always lost

Thread: Old screwdrivers - any use as a materials source?
04/02/2019 10:34:28

A knackered screwdriver is a future useful tool

As mentioned, put a hex on it

or a nice rounded end for pushing cloth through tight holes to clean them out properly

Its just a matter of time before you find a use

Thread: Cut a slot in round stock
31/01/2019 18:57:13

Cut most of it out with an angle grinder and finish off with a slot drill

You must be hogging out 90% plus of the material here, there aint much left, 2.5mm each side, is that right?

Filing off might be the better option

Edited By Ady1 on 31/01/2019 19:02:00

Thread: In search of Peter Rawlinson
31/01/2019 14:58:26

Thread: Get on yer bike
28/01/2019 15:34:03

A couple of bikes got half inched from a shed in my area recently and it was in the papers they were worth 4 grand

Great to ride no doubt but you can't really chain them up in the street and go shopping

Thread: Milling slide for sale
28/01/2019 15:21:10

As big as a cement mixer, looks like there's a table there too

Will probably end up as scrap, changed days

Thread: Get on yer bike
28/01/2019 09:59:03

I've been looking to get one of these for a few years and never got round to bothering. I walk the dog as well as the usual moderate lifestyle most people pursue and I am deffo not a fitness dude.

Years ago when I smoked 40 a day I also cycled and afterwards did some rock climbing and hillwalking. I found that after I gave up cycling I was never quite as fit, even though I could romp over a couple of munros and be back for tea

There's something about cycling that really lifts you up a bit without pounding your body and I've found myself with less stamina over the last couple of years which can be quite annoying, life is getting shorter and it's nice to do things as long as possible

Anyway, enough about the incredible boring me

I don't want to get mown down by a mad Audi driver and I still want to give it a go so what about one in the house that's nice to use and can be moved easily as required

The first one I got was this one, 60 bananas, none were assembled and I took a risk of buying without trying

Total rubbish and a waste of money, very disappointed

Then I spotted this one and had a go at the shop, brilliant, fab, 60 bananas, it seems to use a magnet and flywheel and is very comfy indeed

There seems to be a glut of them showing up at the moment and prices are good, probably over run stock from china and some are very fancy machines indeed which replicate a real cycle while being 10 feet from the kettle and 20 feet from the toilet

Hopping on and doing 5km before morning coffee really is a doddle if you don't need to leave the house and risk your life on Britains third world roads, saves switching the heating on too

So don't buy unless you can try if you don't know exactly what you're getting, they are hugely variable even though they can look similar

Anyway, thought I'd share

Edited By Ady1 on 28/01/2019 10:13:35

Thread: This weeks offer at Lidl
27/01/2019 23:34:06

I picked up the laser range finder but it seems to be exactly 1cm out, aaargh

Thread: The UK Space Program (Its not NASA, its NONO)
24/01/2019 10:17:46

British Leyland summed up "British Management" for me, shocking

Then foreign car management arrives and cranks out huge numbers of decent cars year after year after year with the same workforce

If there's a war we get it together and use sensible common sense people, very organised

But If it's peacetime... well look at the muppet show trying to run things at the moment

It's in the genes, you can't dodge darwinism

23/01/2019 00:08:31

On the plus side, at least Wilson kept us out of Vietnam

22/01/2019 11:52:20

Looks like a large pile of scrap to me, but what do I know

------------------------------------------------

Black Arrow: UK space rocket returns home from Australia

The UK's only rocket to successfully launch a satellite into orbit is to be unveiled in Scotland after a 10,000-mile journey back home.

The Black Arrow projectile had lain at its crash landing site in the South Australian outback for 48 years.

Over time it was damaged by extreme weather and vandalism before space technology firm Skyrora stepped in.

The historic rocket is set to go on display in Penicuik, Midlothian, later this month.

Daniel Smith, director at Skyrora, said: "This is quite feasibly the most important artefact linked to the UK's space history.

"While our engineers have been working on our own launches, our STEM ambassadors have been arranging all of this in the background."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-46938858

Edited By Ady1 on 22/01/2019 11:52:44

Thread: Carrier deck landings
21/01/2019 10:19:02

Story of Eric winkle Brown

The only allied pilot known to have flown an ME 163

An hour of your life you will not regret

Thread: Harrison milling machine play
20/01/2019 08:01:44

That chap who invented the do everything lathe(70s?) had an alternative locking system he patented about 1982

Memory very hazy but I know I noted it for future reference because it was a simple clever system

If someone can remember his name, was it the universal lathe? It can be looked up

There's a thread with his system in here

AHA!

Impetus-Metalmaster
Universal Machine Tool

And the TRIANGULAR GIB STRIP

Not bad going for 8am on a sunday morning

Edited By Ady1 on 20/01/2019 08:14:35

Thread: Some big tools
19/01/2019 11:40:38

I read one article a while back now

Peak time for domestic electricity usage was no longer winter but the school summer holidays

Millions of kids with up to a KW of desktop computer playing World of War etc etc up to 20 hours a day

I've walked dogs for 35 years now and on a lovely summers day in the school holidays the park is empty.

In my youth the parks were stuffed with us all playing football, Celtic even won the European Cup with 11 Scottish football players

Thread: VAT on eBooks
17/01/2019 15:54:46

The entire system came down hard on the ecommerce industry a few years ago and they used the VAT system as a sledgehammer to crack a nut

All the little guys were seriously affected

If you sold 48,000 dollars in the UK you were ok

If you sold 47,999 in the UK and 1.00 to a dude in France you triggered a massive bureaucratic VAT machine

(It was something like that)

The VAT policy isn't about common sense, it never was, it's about keeping the little guys out of the ecommerce industry. You could  go global from your bedroom with a basic server and sell up to 80k VAT free

Anyway, GL

Edited By Ady1 on 17/01/2019 16:00:38

Thread: Drummond / Myford M Headstock Bearing
17/01/2019 11:09:46

Would babbit be better than turning a new one from bronze?

No idea, but could be a lot easier to do and a lot cheaper in the long run

Nice new bearings are probably best but...

Even ME has almost nothing on babbitt after 1940, I think I got 2 hits on articles

But they used it on full size loco wheels so there's no loading wear worries

Can also experiment with it on anything you build should the notion arise

old article

Edited By Ady1 on 17/01/2019 11:23:25

17/01/2019 10:26:24

Puts me in mind of another issue, worn bronze bearings on old Drummonds

There must be a lot coming to the end of the road

Need to buy some babbit for a rainy day

A kind soul in here provided this supplier many moons ago, not cheep I'm afraid

Edited By Ady1 on 17/01/2019 11:03:30

Thread: Free Electricity
16/01/2019 15:41:05

There are some other videos around showing you how the trickery is done

They're quite clever

If it looks too good to be true etc applies

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest