By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for fizzy

Here is a list of all the postings fizzy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Harrison L5 chuck datum
15/01/2019 16:22:34

Hi

Had it a few years, always been the same. All is clean, jaws in correct slots and matched set. What I havnt done is remove the backplate and check it.....tonights job

14/01/2019 19:49:09

My L5 chuch screws on to a small threaded nose, but when run is seen to be out by a country mile. I checked the vertical face on the nose - zero run out, i checked the turned part of the nose between the face and the thread and got one thou run out. Im concluding the chuck or backplate is at fault. Chuck is 8" emco in good nick, 4 jaw scroll. Any advice or suggestions before I lay out for a new chuck - does anyone offer off the shelf threaded back plates?

Thread: copper boiler with dents
09/01/2019 18:58:13

I make boilers for a living...I dont repair other peoples boilers but when I have had occasion to pul out a dent I do exactly as JP describes, you can get a car body dent removal tool off eyba cheap then machine a plug out of brass, soft solder to copper and pull out with near perfect results.

Nigel

Pendle Steam Boilers

Thread: Rocket design
06/01/2019 11:21:51

Im actually off to see the preserved Rocket this afternoon in Manchester. I built a 7.25 gauge Invicta and experienced the problem of axle movement first hand. Tight suspension cured the problem. So if one were to build a replica in 7.25 gauge either inclination would be accurate?

Thread: Commercial boilers
06/01/2019 11:13:55

Thank you David, you are toyally correct. Problem is people are mixing one set of regs with another. Southern fed code states 2x wp, PED doesnt. What SF book does state is that you should make your boiler maker aware that the item will be tested in line with sais regs, i.e. tested to 2 x wp. If supplied boiler is commercial and hasnt been tested to 2 x then I would be inclined to ask why?

What size boiler is it?

Nigel

Pendle Stram Boilers

Thread: Rocket design
05/01/2019 10:47:08

Thanks - just found same info on mosi - The remains of Rocket we see today on display at the Science and Industry Museum look different from the locomotive seen at the Rainhill Trials, partly because of the dull patina of its finish compared to its bright yellow paintwork when it was first made. A larger smokebox has been fitted to its front end, and its cylinders have been lowered from the upper part of the boiler down to a near horizontal position.

Doesnt say why though.

05/01/2019 10:22:11

The rocket, currently on display at MOSI has cylinders at about 5 degrees from parallel to the ground and yet in most illustrations they look to be nearer to 45 degrees, can anyobe shed light on why this is?

Thread: It's about time
03/01/2019 21:10:34

I use them as follows - inlet steam line 4mm od (5/32) and outlet 1/4", they dont need to be any bigger and will very happily run on 15psi if just for show. Ive got a video of one running on test here **LINK**

Thread: Steam Engine Number One
21/11/2018 08:41:28

As per what Jason has said, without a crosshead guide it will bind up and not run. Make the port geometry bigger if space allows as the restriction will impact on torque. The D valve eccentric rod has to be adjustable or you will never get it to run at its best. Lots to think about. What are your plans for the boiler - going to be big! Good luck.

Thread: Wooden display base
20/11/2018 19:36:47

theres a chap on ebay sells them cheap - type in plinth - I use them to display my boilers and they are well made solid wood

Thread: stevensons rocket
15/11/2018 07:21:44

Rockets by hornby always on ebay

Thread: Oil container
11/11/2018 16:30:02

I use a fairy liquid type bottle with tube glued on the end

Thread: Boiler certification in a launch
09/11/2018 09:26:16

As a steam generatingf item of such volume it most certainly has to conform to the pressure vessel regs if commercially built. The tables and requirements are set out here - **LINK**

Thread: Imminent rabbit invasion.
04/11/2018 19:35:32

Perhaps it means they are safe to charge the Anne Summers Rabbit !

Thread: Drill or Mill?
16/10/2018 10:56:40

Ive got ab SX mill - you can drill with it but its not ideal - there is a counter spring but mine is so weak as to be useless. I bought a second hand mill/drill, lots of companies sell these branded under various names but it is big, powerful and accurate, and good for drilling. Quill length a bit restrictive but a verey solid build.

Thread: Carbide insert
14/10/2018 09:42:53

I use ali inserts all the time for copper and concut that the third letter must be G. The shiny ones Andrew pictured are CCGT, you can get a box of 10 for under a tenner from china. They last ok and can be used at relatively low speeds

Thread: Unusual Oscillating Cylinder Locomotive
02/10/2018 11:24:47

Stew

If you would be willing to sell this I would be very tempted as I am looking for something unusual to showcase one of my bigger gas powered boilers - guaranteed not to sell it on? I ought to call in on Joe more often, if I had I would have bought it.

Nigel - PendlesteamBoilers

Thread: Oxy Acetylene or Oxy Propane?
01/10/2018 18:39:34

I use oxy-prop in the business of making steam engine boilers commercially. I used to use acetylene but the price is prohibative to say the least, then there are the insurance considerations and god forbid there should ever be a fire resulting in the whole estate being shut down for 48 hours while the bottle cools! Same fittings, same torch, flame not as hot or stable but complete no brainer for me.

Thread: Pickle for Cartridge Brass
01/10/2018 18:31:34

Even new sulphuric acid does this, it removes the zinc leaving the copper in place and is a real pain to get back to brass. I never put brass in any pickle. Some say use citric acid but it has ecactly the same effect, just takes longer. Wipe them down with a solvent then clean them up with a fillament abraisive wheel, then a scotchbrite wheel then polishing mop and paste - i use this method several times a week so I know it works.

Thread: Best supplier of small BA hex nuts and bolts
26/09/2018 09:00:53

Just been on EKP site for the first time - awesome stock list and very good prices - stocked up on my ba requirements for the next two years.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Ausee.com.au
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest