By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for fizzy

Here is a list of all the postings fizzy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Nine months in the acid bath!
06/03/2019 09:20:53

Me too Brian, thought this might put a few minds at rest!

Thread: Myford Lathe on Ebay
05/03/2019 21:03:46

Bet it goes over a grand -great starter for someone new to the hobby.

Thread: Round top inner firebox
05/03/2019 21:01:56

Im mid build on a couple of 5" gauge Sweetpea boilers which have totally round fire boxes. No stays of any kind for the firebox tube is a massive bonus - both end plates are stayed. If the top of a conventional type loco boiler is half round no stays are needed in it (joing sides and ends stayed as usual) but as stated previously you lose a lot of tube space compared to a square section plate.

Thread: Nine months in the acid bath!
05/03/2019 20:50:16

Whilst making a 2" scale boiler for a traction engine mid 2018 I missplaced one of the inner firebox plates, so made a new one and carried on. Yesterday I was forced to extract a boiler from the acid bath by hand (vets full arm glove) and to my suprise came across the lost plate laying on the bottom. I had always wondered what effect long term acid soaking would have on copper. Anything over a day with brass is very bad news - im using 30% Sulphuric Acid so its strong stuff. The plate in question has a little crystalisation of acid salts on its surface but other than that was in perfect condition - I wont be using it but I wasnt expecting it to look as well as it does.img_0004.jpg

Thread: Can opener - the holy grail in engineering?
04/03/2019 21:01:11

Seems the jury is out....definate opportunity me thinks

03/03/2019 18:54:13

Over the years we have bought countless can openers, the type you squeeze in one hand and turn with the other. Quite quickly they all fail. Can it be that difficult to design onethat doesnt fail? And now the big question - are modern can openers designed to cut the lid from the inside or the top off the can from the outside? Wife says outside, I say inside (of can lip).

Thread: Western Steam
02/03/2019 09:53:41

I would like to wish Helen a speedy recovery. As a full time boiler maker (not touting as I make them for marine and stationary engines) I can say with confidence that you will not be able to buy a better made boiler anywhere in the world than by WS, and that is why you have to wait so long. You can rush a boiler build but you cant rush quality.

Thread: Straightening a wayward hole
27/02/2019 18:01:36

you will most likely snap the end of the centre drill off in the job. Use an end mill instead and take it very slowly as it will easily deflect.

Thread: Silver soldering bronze
26/02/2019 18:14:32

You left it in the pickle too long...had it happen to me. No telling what went into making your bronze but it will and does turn black. Ive had brass do it as well. Get a bit of Tenicity 5 flux, mix it thick and it should work fine on clean metal. You need the extra temp flux due to the small piece of work getting hotter quicker. Good luck.

Thread: which mill
19/02/2019 08:51:45

Ive got mill drill for work - fits my requirements perfectly but I dont like milling with it! The round column has been known to allow the head to move under load which is disasterous. I mostly drill and bore with it.

Thread: Model trains stolen - Kent
16/02/2019 21:31:14

Its all over facebook, pictures to boot. Unfortunately this was not the work of opportunists and they are probably on a slow boat to china already. Its a sad state of affairs.

Thread: Copper boiler testing
16/02/2019 21:27:50

Has your boiler inspector ever actually built a boiler.....and in doing so tried to get paperwork? Me thinks not. Put it to the test and ask him who he used when he obtained his certs so that you can do the same. Im not saying you cant get them but I am saying that for a published design using silver solder they are not required in the UK for home built items. At the end of the day its his decision and it cant be overruled.

16/02/2019 20:51:43

Certs for copper are not normally required at club testing level and you might find it difficult to get them for cut lengths. If you buy your materials from a good UK vendor then your receipt of purchase should stand to verify chain of custody. It doesnt say you have to have them in the rule book, only 'where apropriate'. You need themfor steel but ive never heard of anyone insisting on them for copper. The grade is debatable unless you intend totig weld it! Good luck.

Thread: Harrison L5 chuck datum
22/01/2019 14:45:30

Turns out the backplate was miles out in every possible way - I have trued it up and ive got about one thou runout so a massive improvment....need to do the same with the four other chucks now (I inhetited them). Thanks all.

Thread: Turning aluminium with carbide inserts
19/01/2019 09:29:11

**LINK**

Thread: Brazing hearth - Extraction
18/01/2019 09:06:01

Regarding heat, you will likely end up with just a warm room. My brazing area has a lowish false ceiling of chipboard and after years of use there is absolutely no indication of heat affecting it. Just be absolutely sure that when you are brazing everything which might be the slighest bit flamable is removed from the surrounding area, especially things like spray cans and oils. Good luck and if you need any specific help just pm me.

17/01/2019 20:47:16

I expect a barrage of condemnation but as someone who silver solders almost every day exclusively on model steam boilers here are my thoughts for you. Unless you are going to be doing a lot of soldering an extraction canopy isnt cost effective, and may well be far more dangerous than you think. Fume extraction for welding is good because we weld well away from our body and face and have a full face mask on (ex asme coded welder) but with silver soldering we mostly work very close to the job, often needing to be looking down on it. An overhead extraction unit draws the fumes upwards and often straight into your face, trust me, it isnt pleasant. A very effective solution is to make sure the area is well ventilated and have a small office type fan blowing very gently at or just above the work and more importantly away from you.

Thread: New Bandsaw Gloat
17/01/2019 08:21:15

mine hasnt seen the light of day since I bought a very worn Manchester donkey saw - best buy ever, tries to walk across the workshop floor but will cut through anything and blade lasts forever

Thread: Harrison L5 chuck datum
17/01/2019 08:11:23

thanks for all the input - i will try to get time toinvestigate and let you know wnat I find.

Thread: Use of Colour on Drawings
15/01/2019 16:24:50

Keep it one colour for me for best clarity - they only ever get worse with age

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest