By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for fizzy

Here is a list of all the postings fizzy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Current leakage om CNC
24/08/2019 17:11:59

If I touch the inside of my wrist against my cnc bed I get a highly unpleasant shock. Ive experienced the same sensation with laptop computers but given that there are just 3 stepper motors and a drive motor I wasnt expecting this to occur. I tested the bed to earth and got 120V @ 5 uamps so virtually no current to speak of. Is there anything I can easily do (other than not touching it) to reduce this? Its all on wheels on a concrete floor. Thanks

Thread: How can this work?
22/08/2019 09:55:02

l8.jpg

22/08/2019 09:54:03

Bob, thats what I thought but it seems odd to put them in the picture? This is mine made 1948

22/08/2019 09:42:51

I have just found this rare Haighton and Grindturn Lathe at my local scrap dealer and intend to restore it back to original detail. My version has the two vee belt pulley on the motor shaft but only one big pulley on the reduction part. My question is, why does the picture from the original advert show two belts as it wouldnt run like this - or am I missing something?

img0.jpg

Thread: Superheat or not?
17/08/2019 09:05:39

There is a thread on here somewhere which goes into great detail on this subject, with lots of for and against views. The upsum of the thread was that they arent essential but the boiler will use less fuel and make more steam with them used. But there are good superheaters and bad ones...another story.

Thread: Tony from Burnley
11/08/2019 19:17:57

Hello fellow Burnley person! If you ever need a steam boiler you wont have far to go. Ive all but stopped selling on ebay as the fees are very high and as a seller you have next to no rights....nightmare.

Thread: Different ways of boring a hole
14/07/2019 11:03:25

I avoid boring with the mill as the feed (assuming vertical mill) has to be applied by hand. In the lathe the feed rate is taken care of by the machine making the process controlled.

Thread: Electric Cars
11/07/2019 12:29:21

Im off to france with my caravan...2000 mile round trip. Wont be doing it in a leccy car any time soon.

Thread: Genmitsu
09/07/2019 20:43:59

Hi Baz - they are 1.5mm with a bit too fast feed rate. Slow the feed right down and 6mm is good.

08/07/2019 15:55:08

and here is a video of me using it to drill holes in one of my burners - I had 100 to make so needed a hands off solution. Only snapped 2 drills so far and that was through sheer stupidity - not short of that! Pendle Steam Boilers CNC drilling

08/07/2019 15:51:34

this is the one I have - cant see how they do it for the money, very impressed with it and i use it solely for brass **LINK**

08/07/2019 15:47:13

This is a link to the air cooled low end version of what I have - **LINK**

they are very well made from 10mm ali plate for the uprights.

Thread: Snail Problems
30/06/2019 19:12:27

having been one of only a few people to farm snails in the UK (long time ago) I suggest you lure the critters away then collect and rehome them. Contrary to popular belief snails dont eat your greens because they like them, they eat them because their preferred food is not availible. European snails should eat cerials. The best lure is a saucer of hoppy beer. Put it out at night and they will flock to it.

Thread: Side Cut Angle on HSS Tool Bits
27/06/2019 07:57:34

I grind my tools the exact opposite to that so that the side cut angle is -10 degrees, works great for non ferrous.

Thread: Boiler cross tube leak.
20/06/2019 09:00:39

Of the several hundred boilers I have made it has only happened once and was entirely my fault for not testing the flue prior to assembly. It went in the scrap bin. If you start with a defective joint it is never going to get better. The sealants out there are for car radiators and central heating systems, running about 15psi and 90 deg C - this is a long way from a boiler running 60psi up to 140 deg C. On a very small boiler they might be worth a try.

Thread: What are these wheels /tyres?
19/06/2019 19:17:16

thems quad bike tyres...aweful on the road but good in the mud - loads on ebay

Thread: Improving runout in a slitting saw
18/06/2019 07:07:55

love the final set up in the video link

- hit it wit ommer till its straight!

Thread: Thomas from Hornby
13/06/2019 19:11:29

I tried to file down the end of an allen key, all I got was a shorter allen key. I must stress that at no time did it in any way resemble Thomas from Hornby though.

Thread: Rover V8 drilling valve guides
12/06/2019 21:01:38

I have to ask why you would want ot need to drill them out? We used to race a 3.5 and the guides were very easy to push out of the casting. These were then replaced by a much shorter set so that there was no guide in the port - good for improved flow but shorteden life a lot hence regularly replaced.

Thread: Worx 20V drill issue
12/06/2019 10:22:21

I just bought a Worx cordless20v 386.5 drill. There are lots of sparks visible from the brushes - is this normal? Of greater concern is that when one lets go of the trigger the drill comes to an instant and quite violent stop. Several large clunks can be heard and felt. This is the very opposite of smooth and feels very wrong. I have two other non Worx similar drills and they both stop smoothly, as do those I have looked at on Youtube. Please advise.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest