By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Adam Mara

Here is a list of all the postings Adam Mara has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: CNC engraving
23/06/2022 20:40:03

or just go for the initial DWL in capitals?

Thread: Rising costs of materials
08/04/2022 19:37:31

My sons now run the family company, and they use an awful lot of plastics. and have seen the prices soar over the last 2 years. The have negotiated a new deal with a UK based American company, for US produced plastics cheaper than any from mainland Europe. They are pretty convinced that some of the rises of unjustified!

Thread: What adhesive - that shrinks when it sets - do you recommend for melamine laminate sheets?
30/03/2022 19:26:57

VHB tape may be the answer!

Thread: Stepper motors
25/03/2022 21:31:24

Could it mean that there is still power to the motor, but locking it in the current position? Without power some steppers turn reasonably freely.

Thread: Non-warping Wood for Base?
06/02/2022 10:53:59

Strange suggestion, but source from old furniture? Recently need some hardwood to repair our front door, and my daughters unwanted 65 year old oak table has given me a good supply of well seasoned oak. It was made of 24mm x75mm and 24mm x 96 mm pieces, and is proving very usefull!

Thread: unknown thread of this tap
29/01/2022 11:10:24

As an ironmonger in the sixties or seventies Draper were selling of mixed lots of 100 taps, ex WD and by UK and USA makers, my cousin and I bagged the best ones for ourselves, but there were some very odd sizes and threads in the assortments. I still have a few, a 1/2"and 3/4" still in use for my garden irrigation projects!

So there a possibilty It may be for a milatary purpose.

Thread: 'Vision aid magnifying glasses', any good?
20/01/2022 11:08:16

Mine is a £20 set from Amazon, they have been a godsend for close up work, although I do very little now.

In March 2020 I woke up unable to focus my eyes, long story but had an 'Eye stroke' and was diagnosed with severe double vision. Rectified by stick on prism lenses on my glasses to start, then after 6 months got proper prism glasses. Had to hand in my driving licence, although I had already decided not to renew it when I was 82.

I do struggle now, 3 seperate pairs of glasses to cope with reading, long distance and pair of bifocals for using my laptop and watching telly. Needless to say, I never have the right pair on!

Thread: Aluminium Composite Material
15/01/2022 14:49:35

At work they use a 1990's Gerber Dimension CNC router with a Perske high speed motor to cut it, using a HS cutter, very little cleaning up required afterwards. Also used with a V cutter through the top layer and core for bending purposes. For general straight cutting they use a DeWalt table saw with a fine TC blade.

Thread: Can you identify these hand tools?
23/12/2021 09:16:30

On a lighthearted note, working in a country ironmongers in the 50's, we often got new apprentices coming into the shop asking for the like of glass hammers, long rests, post holes, sparks for grinders and others items I have fogotten over the years!

Thread: EVs and the heater on a cold morning !
22/11/2021 11:11:35

My late FIL waa an upper turrent gunner in a RAF B17 bomber, Pretty sure he told us he had an electrically heated suit, maybe that will be the answer. Loved the seat warmer in my car when I could drive, but an eye stroke a couple of years ago put an end to my driving.

Thread: Restoring the scale on engineering tools
07/11/2021 11:06:34

When we were engraving brass or aluminium, we used black cellelose paint , cleaned off with cellelose thinners and polished. You could get it in small quantities those days (1/2 pints!), but it does not seem to be readily available these days.

Thread: Replacement for thunderbird (emails)
03/11/2021 21:47:50

I've been using Outlook.live.com for several years now, Works fine on Windows, tablet and Chromebook. Love my Chromebook, srarts in seconds, not minutes like windows! Its a touchscreen model, ideal when I'm drawing/sketching on it.

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
23/10/2021 11:05:33
Posted by Martin Dilly 2 on 23/10/2021 10:40:44:

Not sure if this is quite the right place for this, but mods please move if not.

I have several hundred copies of Aeroplane Monthly magazine that are too good to bin. They go back to the 1980s and are free to a good home. Collection only. I'm in the Croydon/Bromley area. PM me if you might be that good home and they're yours.

I recently gave my collection of aircraft and train books to a friend who is a U3A member, he is reading them and then handing them on to other members of the 2 groups.

Edited By Adam Mara on 23/10/2021 11:06:39

Thread: Plastic Chuck
13/10/2021 15:47:04

Looks like its a part for the modern Unimat 1 Cool Tool 6 in 1, the question is, will It fit an old Unimat?

Thread: What Material for this Application Please?
01/10/2021 12:24:05

And another vote for ACM sheet, but would opt for 5mm rather than 2 or 3mm. Depending on budget, you can stick printed vinyl sheet to it, or even have it printed on directly. Unfortunately sheet they use at work is in short supply at the moment, and the prices keeps rising.

Thread: Multimeter recommendations
07/09/2021 19:52:55

I've been happy witth my PEAKMETER PM18C Digital Handheld Intelligent Multimeter from Amazon, its around £25. Much prefer it to my dads old Avometer or my homebuilt Heathkit Multimeter, both like bricks!

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
08/08/2021 14:12:07

Thanks Alan

It did not sound like the Lancaster, and I believe the Lanc is being repaired and is due back in Coningsby anytime. Seen Sally B fly over a couple of times in previous years, and also saw her at Duxford. B17's have a special place in my heart, my FIL was an air gunner in a B17 of 214 squadron doing RCM, has grandson still has some of the chaff/window they dropped.

07/08/2021 17:34:28

Anyone know what large 4 engined prop aircraft flew over south Lincs around 3pm this afternoon? Unfortunatley I had an 'eye stroke' last year and my distant eyesight is just a blur, so I was unable to recognise it.

03/08/2021 10:56:13

My SIL was cycling by RAF Coningsby on Sunday and said a couple of Spitfires landed while he was waiting at the traffic lights, he's not up on aircraft recognition, so one could have been a Hurricane!

In 1953 my friends and I cycled to RAF Coningsby for the BofB show, as a Metoer made a low level pass over the airfield it broke up, killing the pilot and injuring 2 spectators. Being lads, as we left we were all questioned that we had not picked up any debris. Think I might be a bit of a Jonah, we were at Goodwood in 1962 when Stirling Moss had his bad crash!

Thread: Making a miniature electric bell
15/07/2021 13:17:01

I have a copy of 'The Boy Electician' from 1948, and there is a chapter on building a bell with 2 coils, if you go on the self build route!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest