By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bazyle

Here is a list of all the postings Bazyle has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: GigaFactory
15/06/2021 23:19:57

Why go to a charging station when you can charge at home or in the parking at your destination? These facilities are only needed on trunk roads for the long distance travellers.

Thread: Yet another scam
14/06/2021 17:27:00

Just had an email into my work account about my Norton antivirus expiring. I use something differnt but it could catch people out if it hits their private account.

Thread: Men's Health Week
14/06/2021 17:20:34

Yeah, I didn't know either. Masses of publicity about anything to do with women and every minority pressure group under the sun but 50% of the population completely ignored.
This came in from UK Men's Sheds Association <admin@ukmsa.org.uk>

RONSEAL TEAMS UP WITH CHANNEL 4 AND RUMPUS MEDIA TO CELEBRATE THE MEN’S SHED ASSOCIATION AND THE POWER OF DIY IN AN EMOTIONAL DOCUMENTARY

• ‘THE SHED’ LAUNCHES TODAY (14TH JUNE) AS PART OF MEN’S HEALTH AWARENESS WEEK

• DEBUT EPISODE FEATURES A DAD VISITING HIS LOCAL SHED TO CELEBRATE THE LIFE OF HIS STILLBORN SON - AND PREPARE FOR A NEW ADDITION TO HIS FAMILY

Ronseal is celebrating the work of the Men’s Shed Association in a powerful new film launching this week.
The Shed has been produced by Rumpus Media, in partnership with Channel 4 studio and will be shown across their social channels from 14th June.

Launched to mark Men’s Health Awareness Week, it features an emotional interview with Joe Regan, whose son Jackson was tragically stillborn in 2019.

The moving documentary follows Joe, 28, as he visits his local Men’s Shed in Camden, North London, and openly talks to other members about his experience and the struggles he’s faced. He’s also seen being helped to make a sentimental memory box for the little boy he lost, and for his second son, who has just arrived in April 2021.

Visit menssheds.org.uk to view the documentary.

The UK Men’s Shed Association has been providing safe and welcoming spaces for men to get together and talk since 2013, and now has more than 500 sheds across the UK.

For more information on the UK Men’s Shed Association, to see the short film, and to find a shed near you, visit menssheds.org.uk.

Thread: Brazing Hearth
07/06/2021 20:25:40

There are commonly available buff coloured 'firebricks' weighing in at about 4kg. They are not intended for insulating but extreme heat resistance. They are only good for building large pottery kilns so I don't understand why they are so common except for ripping off piza oven builders. They absorb a lot of heat by design to stabilise such a kiln. You don't want them.

There are lightwieight white insulating bricks weighing in at 1.5kg which absorb little heat and do insulate. Ideal but more expensive than any other brick.

There are compressed vermiculite insulating boards for lining wood stoves. Also pretty good but more fragile. Probably a good option.

There are lightweight grey building blocks like Thermalite (size of but not breeze blocks). These are a pretty good bet as cheapest by volume and could be further lined with the vermiculite boards. Easy to carve to shape.

All materials must be kept scrupulously dry or will spall when heated.

Thread: Small drill honing jig
06/06/2021 17:44:02

I don't know the details but you mention the problem of drilling deep for the collets. I would think you would drill much larger from the back to within 2xD of the front then only drill the very end to size. Same as eg a 5C collet is not at holding diameter two inches deep.

Thread: Filing machine uses?
06/06/2021 16:17:04

There is also a kit available I think in the USA. The only non tapered files you can now commonly get are shainsaw sharpening files. Queue someone saying the y just picked up 50 for tuppence at a car boot sale yesterday.

Thread: Scalped on my doorstep - it left an unpleasant taste in my mouth.
06/06/2021 14:04:57

When we started the Men's Shed I looked for funds on the internet. The most common search result was like "send you staff on our very expensive fundraising course". It used to be said that driving schools didn't make any oney from giveing driving lessons. They made their money from courses for wanabe driving instructors!

The main charity I support is run by people who already have a full time paid job so no need to pay them.
Mostly I now work on a 'tit-for-tat' basis. I support things like the village hall cafe as I am getting tea and cake and they get some profit for the hall. Also at model railway shows (not the big commercial events) I support their cafe 'cos it is going to the club.

It can backfire though. One village hall entertainment only announced after paying that half the takings were going to somone's pet project supporting Yugoslavian hookers.

Thread: RandA 3 inch lathe
05/06/2021 19:03:31

It does depend where you are and what else is available. Plus people are now thinking more of holidays than shed activities however you have a good set of changewheels, prbably a full set for imperial screwcutting. See if you can find the second set of jaws for the 3-jaw chuck.
The set up on the bench looks good except it makes it diffiult to move without strip down or a van/trailer.
It is a good size for a modeller up to Gauge 3 (2 1/2 in).

I think it would be worth £150 to £200 having seen a couple of larger Drummonds go for about £230 in awkward areas to get to.

Thread: Hobby mill advice
04/06/2021 19:55:01

Some advice here worth reading.

Thread: New member from Cornwall
01/06/2021 16:36:02

When you figure out the search facility on here (front page not the one at the top of this page) you will find several threads by Fortis owners. One in Scotland which is not actually surprisnig as there used to be a lot of seagoing connections eg fishing boats made in Appledore delivered to Aberdeen which was the equivalent of 'just up the M5' back in the day.

Thread: Compressed air for initial engine test
28/05/2021 18:16:00

I think it might help to divide the test into two phases.

First to see if there is some major friction and the timing is reasonable you (may) need some pressure but only enough volume to turn it over haf a dozine times.

Once you have got those things sorted it would hopefully turn over at only a few pounds pressure, after all 3in bore gives a lot of force per pound pressure. To get volume at minimal pressure find something like an airbed and a bunch of children who will love the idea of all piling on to it to get the air out. Another angle on this is an oil barell that you fill with water (mains provides a fair pressure) pushing the air out. Don't forget alos that such an engine might also work with assistance of a vacuum from a condenser.

Thread: What is the SX3 Drawbar thread.
28/05/2021 17:42:59

If, somewhat astonishngly you don't have a vernier caliper or a micrometer you may be able to use the mill table and handwheel graduatons to improvise a measuring system, even make a vernier.

Thread: Hobbymat MD65 - help figuring out accessories (photos)
26/05/2021 19:34:31

+1 for the handle when screwcutting. Instant reverse and instant stop when you realise the thread isn't what you expected and threads right up to shoulder owing to built in optical feedback system attached to the motor.

Thread: The worst 'upcycling' tragedy ever?
25/05/2021 18:31:50

Nicely cleaned up Nick, I have one of those drills and have actually used it for drilling, though the chuck is only good for emergency wood jobs (ie when I can't be bothered to take the bit out of the electric drill). It was advertised in 1902 ME for 25/-

Thread: Copper electroplating solution
25/05/2021 00:08:53

Basis of Bordeau mixture for gardeners to spray on roses....... I've recently heard somewhere that the clean air is making it hard to grow roses in London now.

Edited By Bazyle on 25/05/2021 00:10:03

Thread: Install & commission of a Chester Cub 630 (Warco GH750)
23/05/2021 21:54:52

I think you will find the lifting holes are 1 in as it is made for the American market. I would first of all get some allthread to go through those holes to attach an anti-tip framework or at least an outrigger so that when it falls over it doesn't land on the cross slide handle.
Perhaps get it off the pallet onto two 2x6 lengthways bolted on with the foot holes will give a better runnning surface for scaffold poles and scaff planks on the ground will sort that surface out. Worth getting new planks as the timber can be used for benches etc after. If you make the pieces under the lathe mentioned above over long you can bolt anti-tip bars to them.
A farmer with a telehandler might loan it in exchange for a repair job - farmers always need something repaired.

Thread: NEW SCAM
22/05/2021 12:34:31

Since teh scam thread is active again just another warning.

A week after getting an Argos delivery which legitamately had my mobile number for necessary last mile delivery instructions I got a text requesting I fill in a delivery satisfaction survey - link attached to text. Now the link was not an Argos website so I'm not going there. I have no idea if they stupidly outsource their surveys or their system is hacked but be warned as usual to check those links even if you have just had a seemingly legitimate interaction the scammers can easily be paying someone inside to hand over a USB stick of data.

Thread: Distilled water for anodising
21/05/2021 12:54:03

If you are worried about dirtin the dehumidifier water just put it through a new paper coffee filter.

Since the purpose of the acid is just to make the water conduct better probably anything that does that would work if it doesn't have a side reaction, perhaps citric or white vinegar would do, or phosphoric too.

Thread: Wire EDM - an amazing capability for the home shop
21/05/2021 12:47:32

If someone recognises the SMEE guy in my photo please drop a credit on here.

21/05/2021 12:38:59

A small group at the SMEE built one and i think demonstrated it at a coupleof shows maybe in 2019. It was a colaborative effort with one guy based in Devon so he brought it to the Exeter DMES and gave us a talk. Fairly complex with several icroprocessors to control it apart from obviously needing to design the part in CAD but it worked very well.

wire edm.jpg

Edited By Bazyle on 21/05/2021 12:46:01

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
JD Metals
Warco
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest