By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bazyle

Here is a list of all the postings Bazyle has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Driving style predicts Alzeimer’s …
13/07/2021 23:06:06

They are very quick to take your licence off you once there is a hint of dementia, even if you appear perfectly fine to non medical people. Not the end of the world for people with a spouse who is ok or someone living in town with busses but disaster for single people in the countryside.
My neighbour at 99&11 months is as bright as a button and only gave up driving two years ago (pushed into it by daughter who funnily enough now has the car). Our ex chairman at 102 is also fully with it though gave up driving a decade ago due to failing eyesight (which hasn't stopped his modelling) At the other end of the scale I know people who have gone into care in their mid sixties.

Thread: Shock at low pay for high skill
10/07/2021 20:36:45

All this linking engineers to high pay must be from er? not engineers. It is the ones who move on from engineering into management of engineers that may get better pay.
As for "applying higher mathematics" I've never needed even algebra at work, yes needed it for getting the degree but not for real work but other jobs may need a bit more.
"and deep knowledge" well not really these days as things change so quickly anything learned more than 3 years ogo is probably no longer true.
Degrees seem to be regarded as essential but actually only used to mention at the interview. Will they check? Might be an interesting test for a reasearch journalist to blag their way into some jobs to check that out. Nowadays without business cards used much there is nowhere to show off the letters after your name so only if people check out Linkedin (which can be hoccum) will they be impressed.

Thread: Harrison M300 siting
10/07/2021 19:58:37

Come on, long stock in headstock a problem? Everyone knows you just drill a hole in the workshop wall.

Thread: More security for the shed
10/07/2021 19:45:29

Some more advice to be found on the St Albans DMES website.

Thread: Universal thread cutting
05/07/2021 20:20:33
Posted by JasonB on 05/07/2021 19:13:50:

5" equalling 128 is a nicer one to work with or the 25.6mm inch

Edited By JasonB on 05/07/2021 19:16:32

We can't have that - it would make Britain smaller. With Brexit we should go for 5" = 100. laugh

Thread: PG Optical dividing head
05/07/2021 20:12:04

Some very rough calculations.
6in dia disc, 18in circumference, so 1 degree is 50 thou.
So 1 minute of arc is 1 thou. ( I said rough)
So 6 seconds is a tenth.

If your photo reduction is 10:1 the master is 60 inches dia. And you have to mark up that master to 1 thou accuracy.

If I've got this right I can understand why they are expensive.

Thread: Shock at low pay for high skill
05/07/2021 19:47:01

Area of the country makes a huge difference unless your union has forced a flat rate whereby those in London get screwed by costs and those in junksville ride high.
Age/experience should still count for something, even on the exact same job an older person will add more value.
It is only a few train drivers that get the big bucks also route dependent.

Is CNC programming really that difficult? Compare to teacher which is a good middle of the road skillset with requirement for degree. Remember > 50% of kids now get degrees even though it may be in Media Studies.
Programming is not that difficult. Loads of kids do it quite well in their teens but it is very time consuming. That is why kids are able to do it as a hobby when adults don't (unless they have no social life). There is also a marked difference in the programming world between a 'coder' and a programmer (aka system architect).

Thread: PG Optical dividing head
04/07/2021 16:03:04

I'm not sure how these things work. Is the optical scale on a glass plate attached to the main spindle, I know should be obvious but just to make sure? If so the accuracy is in that scale, not the worm. Therefore normal dividing unless done on another similar quality device would not be 'up to spec'.
I assume the essence of these things is that the scale is produced as a photographic plate. Back 40 years we produced etched microwave circuits by photo reduction from a master made with black tape on a drawing table. In the extreme we could tape it up 6ft square and reduce to 1 in square. I think the same would be done for this. The surface of the glass would not be etched, rather it would be optically very good and flat, able to take a photo sensitive coating. Not in itself all that difficult but needing the right 'know how'.

Thread: ‘Right to Repair’
03/07/2021 16:53:44

In the last month I have picked up two vacuum cleaners, one from skip and one on the way to dump, both probably dumped because of poor suction because the extra (non-bag) filters had never been cleaned. One was without hose but within two weeks another skip yielded the hose after the pikies had had the body for scrap metal.

Thread: Change Wheel Programme from MEW
03/07/2021 10:34:13

I remember my first changewheel program on the BBC computer running at 2MHz finished at 3am.
Although the originator won't admit it Python is a kludge between Basic and Perl hence the similarity in the program and difference from eg C which was popular with professional programmers at the time. Unfortunately not carrying in the simplicity of syntax of Basic and handling of multidimensional arrays
The reason Basic then Python is popular for beginners and amateurs is entirely because it is interpreted and instantly available which is what we mostly need. Basic used to be bundled with Windows until it was incorporated into Excel where it is now used universally without people realising its origins.

Thread: WHAT IS IT ?
27/06/2021 13:53:20

I like your observation that the large numbers refer to 16th. But I'm lost from your line "This suggests...."
Against 10 we have "...2/3+2 5/8" so your explanation shows there is a sepearation aftetr the 2.
In a way all the plain fractions could be read as "x/16 +0" sort of implying the "+ something" is significant.
Although there are 19 spaces the 19th is not marked so perhaps insignificant. However there are 20 lines so I think that is more significant. Each line has little holes in it as if one could pin prick through to mark on a map or drawing as si sometimes done with protractors. The 20 divisions mean 18 degrees for the lines. Is this linked to the numbers only going to 18.
The big holes match the lines at 20, but the inner ring has 30 holes. Could this have something to do with minutes of arc?

Thread: Fractal vice
26/06/2021 15:59:13

Certainly something to consider for 3D printing - to be lazy about it.
Meanwhile a simpler version might be a rectangular (smallest) jaw with a pivot like a seesaw on its side, (two off) mounted on the end of a bigger seesaw etc.

Will one of the CAD gurus have the design out before I can finish typing?

Thread: Gamage's Steam Engine
24/06/2021 13:28:42

Can you afford to make one with the highest grade anti-friction metal like the original?

Thread: Bureaucracy with a tinge of Madness
24/06/2021 13:21:07

I think the key here may be that they are forcing you to give them permission to run a credit check on you - for life. Lots of lovely data about you to process and sell.
Even if your passsprot is expired it should be valid for some things as the number remains unique to you for traceability. However I'm not sure of the cost of renewing it which might eat up a substantial part of your £100 anyway.

Thread: Pitch Circle
22/06/2021 22:01:32

I dropped in on the Cambridge club two years ago as I happened to be in the city on a Sunday and found them extremely friendly. After tea and biccies I got a ride round the track on a loco that happened to be needing a test run, then a guided tour of works in progress. Seems likea great club if you can afford to live in the county.
A lot of men seem like grumpy sods so at a club those ones are the ones not deep in conversation with others, So the newcomer seems to be drawn to them with inevitable bad results. Don't expect club members to recognise that you are on your first visit and welcome you appropriately. I can't remember half the members of either of the clubs for which I'm membership sec. Twenty years ago I could greet them all by name, but now the names sort of come to me a couple of hours later. When you arrive just say "I'm new here" so they know and can go into welcoming mode.

Rob Roy - the build was probably stopped when it was found the valve rods didn't line up. Common fault in the design - search the forum for mentions of this and other problems.

Miranda engine - are you going to build the boat? It is an interesting display engine but looks crap in the launch as it is too big by far and forget the boiler. There is however a great wheeze published on Paddleducks forum. If you turn it upside down by exchanging the base and top plates it makes a very nice paddle boat engine.

Thread: Exeter gets new carriage shed
16/06/2021 11:31:54

If the facebook link doesn't work search for Exeter and District model Engineers to see the video.

Around 9 30 a lorry reversed down the lane with a 40 foot long container on board. The container was lifted over the wall and the lorry and trailer returned to Heathfield. Some 90 minutes later the lorry reappeared with a smaller trailer which was able to negoitiate the priory entrance. The container was then lifted onto the trailer. We had to remove some rail track and lay scaffold boards over the bed to minimise damage. The lorry trailor and container weighing in at 30 tons. Three slabs were broken, but were quickly replaced after the lorry had left. The driver then positioned his lorry and carefully place the container onto the piers we had put down.
container1.jpg
container2.jpg

Thread: Barbeque Time
15/06/2021 23:33:07

They had to invent a new push fit to make it not the same as butane as they couldn't trust the general public to handle the reverse thread on a regular propane cylinder. A convenient side effect of this enabled them to sell more cylinders at inflated prices and charge more for the refills.

Anyway gas BBQ is cheating. Rub two sticks together like a proper boy scout.

Thread: Exeter gets new carriage shed
15/06/2021 23:24:04

Exeter and District MES carriage shed was delivered. Now that's a long load on a short trailer.
hope the facebook link works,
**LINK**

Thread: GigaFactory
15/06/2021 23:19:57

Why go to a charging station when you can charge at home or in the parking at your destination? These facilities are only needed on trunk roads for the long distance travellers.

Thread: Yet another scam
14/06/2021 17:27:00

Just had an email into my work account about my Norton antivirus expiring. I use something differnt but it could catch people out if it hits their private account.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
Dreweatts
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
walker midge
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest